1. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 15:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    It's a gesture of sportsmanship.
    and in addition, it is conveniently short: "gg" is quickly typed...often people have vanished after the end of the game already and i am at: "thanks for th" . then i dont send it anymore...
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 16:05
    I agree that saying "good game" is just a form of politeness.

An interpretation that wasn't mentioned before: In case of a blunder, the winner should acknowledge that he won because of that. Saying "good game" then means to me: "Thanks for the game. It's a pity that the game was decided by a blunder, because it was really a hard struggle since you were playing on a high level." You shouldn't feel annoyed if your opponent says that to you, right?
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 16:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Ha. seriously?

It is nearly obligatory to have a handshake before and after an OTB chess game. This was never misinterpreted in international tournaments I have participated in or witnessed.

Saying "thanks for the game" would be my next choice, but I prefer not to "say" anything right after a game and allow my opponent gain a moment of composure win or lose.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 17:21
    Originally posted by tvochess
    I agree that saying "good game" is just a form of politeness.

An interpretation that wasn't mentioned before: In case of a blunder, the winner should acknowledge that he won because of that. Saying "good game" then means to me: "Thanks for the game. It's a pity that the game was decided by a blunder, because it was really a hard struggle since you were p ...[text shortened]... on a high level." You shouldn't feel annoyed if your opponent says that to you, right?
    I don't know where it comes from but to me saying polite things like "good luck" at the beginning of the game or "gg" after a bad game just seems wrong.

Do you really wish me good luck against you? Or do you simply have such a low view of my chess that you think I'll need good luck to beat you?

I'm not saying that I get angry when someone says good luck, I assume that they are trying to be polite, but it still bugs me.

Perhaps it is being polite that bothers me. I'd rather someone be honest than be polite, as long as the honest isn't mean. Something mean/hurtful would fall under the "don't say anything at all" category.
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 17:42
    At the beginning of a game, and those who have played me know, I always say, "Best to us both."

I mean it too!

I mean let us both play well, at our best, and bring the best out of each other.

I believe it is well meant, well received and an honest gesture of let us both have a good game without silly blunders.

-m.
  6. In attack
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 17:43
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Do you really wish me good luck against you? Or do you simply have such a low view of my chess that you think I'll need good luck to beat you?
    Politeness is important in competition. Would you prefer something sincere like 'all the best', or something humorous like 'dream of beating me, then wake up and apologize'? 😉

I don't mind losing in chess as long as I've performed to the best of my ability. I enjoy hard fought losses more than blundered wins, so by saying "Good Luck" at the start of the game I am trying to convey via subtext that I hope we both do credit to our chess ability, win or lose. Not suggesting that luck has any effect on the outcome (that is one of the reasons why we all Love chess, luck doesn't feature), more that hopefully we can have a game that will be memorable and enjoyable.

Having someone tell me that they are about to play the Ruy Lopez and that maybe I should read up on it (which happened last month), however, that's offensive >🙁
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 20:281 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 20:53

9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 21:39
    If I were in his shoes, I'm not sure what I'd say in response. It's a rather awkward situation for the winner to be thanked for a game in which he merely exploited a blunder. And probably the best escape, the handshake, was ruled out by your illness.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 22:25

11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 00:35
    I don't think I'd want my opponent to rate my play at all ("you can play better" - of course I can play better; I know exactly where I blundered). And "I hope you do in your next game" - like I somehow owe it to him to do so!

I guess anything can be taken the wrong way by a sufficiently sore loser.
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 00:57
    I do hope you aren't serious- forgetting for a second, the immense barriers to actually playing online chess for someone who has no hands/arms... I highly doubt they would be insulted if they were greeted with an internet "handshake."

You CAN take tyranny of the majority too far- if you choose to put your culture/special circumstances in front the common norms of the sport, and especially so on the internet where you are anonymous, then I have no sympathy or empathy for it.

I am well aware of the Soviets vs Korchnoi, or Cheparinov to Nigel Short, they make news BECAUSE there was no handshake.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 03:45

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:12

15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 13:06
    Originally posted by morgski
    Politeness is important in competition.
    There is, however, a difference between sincere politeness and obviously insincere politeness. Saying "thank you for the game" is polite. Saying "good game" when it plainly was a blunder-dump, that's just meaningless.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree