1. e4
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 11:33
    What's the problem?

I 'gg' win lose or draw. It means nothing, just a quick Ta! for the game..

(Of course sometimes the 'gg' stands for Good Grief.)
  2. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 15:20
    When I play; most of the time I say "Good chess." And leave it at that. At the end of the game (win, loose or draw) I say good game; be it by blunder or just being out played. I see each chess game as a good one.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 22:22
    This time I played a terrible game. No major blunders other than bad moves that allowed my opponent to rip me apart.

I resigned and got a gg after this pathetic game. I know that it was meant to be a nice thing to say, but to me it is rubbing salt in a wound. It was not a good game. It was something to learn from, but not a good game. Hopefully I won't have to learn from similar games too many more times.
  4. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 22:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    What does that mean?

It seems to me that it means: "you just blundered the game away and I won"

Sometimes I see people say gg after what actually was a good game, but most of the time it is the winner who says that after winning.

If I win because the other person blundered I won't reply gg, but will comment on how I make similar blunders. I can't ...[text shortened]... w. It's been something bugging me for a while, but at the moment it is fresh in my mind.
    i put well played if i lose and thanks for the game if i win. the most annoying thing here is someone i play all the time in tournaments is when i make a major blunder they send a smilly face, now that is annoying. 😀😀😀😀😀😀 see what i mean
  5. Joined
    02 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 22:49
    Good game or GG is just being polite, it has the same meaning as "Thanks for the game".
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 23:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    08 Sep '09
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 13:28
    Just assume they mean *chess* is a good game, even if your particular game wasn't.
  8. Kingston upon Hull
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 16:05
    You must be a riot at parties.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 00:45
    Originally posted by Eladar
    What does that mean?

It seems to me that it means: "you just blundered the game away and I won"

Sometimes I see people say gg after what actually was a good game, but most of the time it is the winner who says that after winning.

If I win because the other person blundered I won't reply gg, but will comment on how I make similar blunders. I can't ...[text shortened]... w. It's been something bugging me for a while, but at the moment it is fresh in my mind.
    If I am fortunate enough to really spank someone and/or if they blunder, it does seem awkward on the mating move to say "good game" or "gg". Moreover, I suspect they are not thinking it was a good game. With that said, I guess it is just a polite salutation to say gg.

Maybe sometimes similar to saying "see you later" or "talk to you later" when you know it highly unlikely you will see or talk to that person again. Maybe not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree