Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 19 Mar '08 14:08
    So after going back to 1.e4 I decided I didn't want to play my opponents pet sicillian lines so I went back to the gran prix.
    1. e4 c5
    2. Nc3
    3. f4
    4 Nf3
    5. Bb5

    Is what I'm shooting for...

    Game 4640014

    Who are some GMs that play this, and does anyone have any good RHP games in this opening or any advice they care to share?

    Thanks
  2. 19 Mar '08 14:19
    Lev Alburt.

    http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Openings-White-Explained-Winning/dp/188932311X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8726262-4338216?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205936364&sr=1-1
  3. Standard member eagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    19 Mar '08 15:38
    A while back I started to play the Grand Prix Attack but after playing it for a bit I felt black was getting the upper hand too often or at least equalizing relatively easily.

    I know it is not seen in top level chess because of that.

    While the Open Variation does allow sicilian players to go into their lines, I think white has his best chance to win with it. Although this requires a bit of research of looking into different sicilian variations.

    There is a book called "Experts vs. the Sicilian" that I have heard good things about. I have not gotten it yet but I am going to pretty soon.
  4. 19 Mar '08 19:09 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by zebano
    So after going back to 1.e4 I decided I didn't want to play my opponents pet sicillian lines so I went back to the gran prix.
    1. e4 c5
    2. Nc3
    3. f4
    4 Nf3
    5. Bb5

    Is what I'm shooting for...

    Game 4640014

    Who are some GMs that play this, and does anyone have any good RHP games in this opening or any advice they care to share?

    Thanks
    That's probably going to be tough, black tends to choose setups with ...g6 ...Bg7 and ...Nd4 if he knows what he's doing.

    i.e. 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bb5 Nd4!

    I guess you could argue that it's technically what you wanted, but some exchanges are going to occur right away, which I don't think is what you were going for - not everybody plays it like ItsYou did...(In fact...few people play it like him/her)
  5. 19 Mar '08 19:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    That's probably going to be tough, black tends to choose setups with ...g6 ...Bg7 and ...Nd4 if he knows what he's doing.

    i.e. 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bb5 Nd4!
    6. Bxe8
  6. 19 Mar '08 19:12 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by zebano
    6. Bxe8
    Maybe a legal move would help.

    BTW: Since you seem to be confused, here's the FEN:

    1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bb5 Nd4!

  7. 19 Mar '08 19:37
    Originally posted by zebano
    So after going back to 1.e4 I decided I didn't want to play my opponents pet sicillian lines so I went back to the gran prix.
    1. e4 c5
    2. Nc3
    3. f4
    4 Nf3
    5. Bb5

    Is what I'm shooting for...

    Game 4640014

    Who are some GMs that play this, and does anyone have any good RHP games in this opening or any advice they care to share?

    Thanks
    Why play the GP Attack when you've got the Morra?
    Game 4747353
  8. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    19 Mar '08 20:17
    Play it f4 immediately. I've had excellent success with it.
  9. 19 Mar '08 20:19
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Play it f4 immediately. I've had excellent success with it.
    That's lost a lot of popularity because of the option of black playing the immediate freeing move 2...d5!
  10. 19 Mar '08 20:22
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Why play the GP Attack when you've got the Morra?
    Game 4747353
    That Bxf7 sacrifice was excellent. Were you using analyze board?
  11. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    19 Mar '08 20:42
    Originally posted by zebano
    So after going back to 1.e4 I decided I didn't want to play my opponents pet sicillian lines so I went back to the gran prix.
    1. e4 c5
    2. Nc3
    3. f4
    4 Nf3
    5. Bb5

    Is what I'm shooting for...

    Game 4640014

    Who are some GMs that play this, and does anyone have any good RHP games in this opening or any advice they care to share?

    Thanks
    Just a pont after 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 a6! Throws a rather large spanner in the works for a Grand Prix Attack player!
  12. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    19 Mar '08 21:01
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    Just a pont after 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 a6! Throws a rather large spanner in the works for a Grand Prix Attack player!
    That's one reason why it's better that I play 1 e4 c5 2 f5
  13. 19 Mar '08 21:02
    Originally posted by Ramned
    That's one reason why it's better that I play 1 e4 c5 2 f5
    Again... 2...d5.
  14. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    19 Mar '08 21:06
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Again... 2...d5.
    I agree. 1. e4 c5 2. f4 d5! sucks for White. I've been playing the GPA a lot lately, and I have to say that I never mind seeing 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 a6, since White just puts the Bishop on g2, and generally has a good Closed Sicilian, since Black doesn't really want to play ...a6 so early in those systems. It's generally just a waste of time since the pawn really would like to go to a5, and either make it to a3, or the Bc8 would like to be on that square.
  15. 19 Mar '08 22:01
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I agree. 1. e4 c5 2. f4 d5! sucks for White.
    Don't let English Tal know that, he might stop winning with it.

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/index.php?movelist=e2e4c7c5f2f4d7d5&flip=0&co=w&u=251755&c=-1