1. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 00:16
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    1600-1700 definitely
    breaking through the 2150-to-2200 USCF rating barrier is really hard because you have to play 2200 players who all know some openings. prior to reaching the 2150, you can get away with alot of junk openings and wait for the opponent to make bad moves.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 00:56
    I know. I was just kidding because I'm trying to break into the 1700s on RHP.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 02:26
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    How can you say that 1800 -> 2000 is harder than 2000 -> 2200?
    Here's my take, the hardest rating increase is the one you haven't made yet.

Also 1800 OTB? I'll let the readers judge that for themselves.
    Game 1913457
    IN PROGRESS
    I think he was lost from the opening. 2.f4 in the sicilian?
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 03:48
    I think he was trying to go for the Grand Prix attack.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 03:58
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I think he was trying to go for the Grand Prix attack.
    Except he doesn't have a clue how to play it properly.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 05:461 edit
    I'm not going to argue about that. He should have familiarized himself with it and he should have used a decent database. But even so, the Grand Prix is the least of Black's worries.
  7. back in business
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 07:42
    definitely from 2800 to 2900. Or have you ever heard anyone doing it?
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 15:53
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    breaking through the 2150-to-2200 USCF rating barrier is really hard because you have to play 2200 players who all know some openings. prior to reaching the 2150, you can get away with alot of junk openings and wait for the opponent to make bad moves.
    False. I played the Hawkeye Mind Challenge XIII this year (for those who wish to look it up on the MSA section of www.uscess.org) and we had a IM named Michael Brooks (2450) show up. A guy from my club played a main line schvishnikov defense against him. Moves 7- 14 took Brooks 40 minutes to play.

Brooks eventually won in a theoretically drawn 2 rook + 2pawn vrs 2 rook + 1 pawn endgame.

Anyway, whoever said the one you havn't made yet is probably accurate.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 20:48
    How can you say that 1800 -> 2000 is harder than 2000 -> 2200?
    Here's my take, the hardest rating increase is the one you haven't made yet.

Also 1800 OTB? I'll let the readers judge that for themselves.
    Game 1913457
    IN PROGRESS
    I never stated in that post I had an 1800 OTB USCF rating. I don't know why you have to use my game to prove anything, whereas it's impertinent to my prior comments. Maybe, you need to read the most again. I said, 1800 games are interesting, and an 1800 player has a chance in any game with any opponent. I also meant that 1800 - 2000 is a difficult goal to accomplish and that most people never maintain their 2000 rating without continued study and play against worthy opponents. Now, where do you get I said I was a 1800 USCF? From your play - with a pawn up - I don't think you come across like an outstanding player yourself. I mean, I'm a pawn down, and you say I'm losing soooo badly! Look at your rating! You should be CRUSHING me! But, as I knew always, your rating on here is only from your use of outside sources. Your real chess - as the game you posted shows - shows you are a nothing player. I haven't even been trying in the game! I've been working too much at the phone company. I haven't felt much pressure the whole time I've been playing the latter game with you. Wake up! You're in denial, and if I can just move off hand with you like I've been doing, and hang in with only a pawn down, that shows your rating is a joke!
  10. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 22:17
    Originally posted by zebano
    False. I played the Hawkeye Mind Challenge XIII this year (for those who wish to look it up on the MSA section of www.uscess.org) and we had a IM named Michael Brooks (2450) show up. A guy from my club played a main line schvishnikov defense against him. Moves 7- 14 took Brooks 40 minutes to play.

Brooks eventually won in a theoretically drawn 2 rook + 2p ...[text shortened]... ook + 1 pawn endgame.

Anyway, whoever said the one you havn't made yet is probably accurate.
    you mean you disagree by citing an example of a club player playing a main line of the sicilian. well i am not swayed by the "you're wrong because one time there was one guy who did" retort.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 04:181 edit
    Originally posted by powershaker
    I haven't even been trying in the game!
    The excuses have started.
    Also, it's not a pawn it's a pawn and large positional considerations in my favour.

EDIT: Just some friendly advice, you know you have to win games to reach 1700 not lose them.
  12. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 20:19
    The excuses have started.
    Also, it's not a pawn it's a pawn and large positional considerations in my favour.

EDIT: Just some friendly advice, you know you have to win games to reach 1700 not lose them.
    Hello, you're rating on RHP is 2000+! That should mean your OTB rating would have to be within reason at the minimum of 1800+!!! And, you definitely do not play like an 1800 player! Why don't we just finish the game. And, the position is not exactly completely in your favour. I still will take my chances!
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Hello, you're rating on RHP is 2000+! That should mean your OTB rating would have to be within reason at the minimum of 1800+!!! And, you definitely do not play like an 1800 player! Why don't we just finish the game. And, the position is not exactly completely in your favour. I still will take my chances!
    Masters in Literature my ass you can't even use the right your. Also, I somehow get the feeling you don't understand how good players play chess. Sure some games there are insane looking sacrifices. In others there aren't but that doesn't mean the moves played aren't good. If you can find a good player to analyse our game afterwards then go right ahead and make sure you post it. I'm always interested to see others opinions of my games.
  14. Standard memberDraxus
    Mr. Bombastic
    Ogden, Ut
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 01:40
    Masters in Literature my ass you can't even use the right your. Also, I somehow get the feeling you don't understand how good players play chess. Sure some games there are insane looking sacrifices. In others there aren't but that doesn't mean the moves played aren't good. If you can find a good player to analyse our game afterwards then go right ahead and make sure you post it. I'm always interested to see others opinions of my games.
    What happened to having a friendly game?
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:05
    Originally posted by Draxus
    What happened to having a friendly game?
    Who said it was a friendly game? I'm putting down an upstart.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree