has anyone read the art of defense?

has anyone read the art of defense?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

washington

Moves
24 Dec 08

Andrew soltis is the best author that I have read books from has anyone read this and pawn structue in chess? I want to know if its the same teaching style.

z

Moves
25 Dec 08

Originally posted by kmac27
Andrew soltis is the best author that I have read books from has anyone read this and pawn structue in chess? I want to know if its the same teaching style.
I can't say for sure having never read Pawn Structure in Chess. It seems to be a game per chapter. That said, I never got through it and my recollections are about 3 years old.

Moves
25 Dec 08
1 edit

Originally posted by kmac27
recall reading both, and remember soltis' pawn structure book to be very instructional, especially in understanding the openings and their middlegame themes.

k

washington

Moves
25 Dec 08

I'm reading pawn structure, but I want to know about the art of defense!

t

Moves
25 Dec 08

I've read the art of defense and it really helped me,and I'm thinking of getting the pawn structure book do you guys recommend it?

k

washington

Moves
26 Dec 08

Understanding pawn structure I believe is probably the most important topic to understand. Those slow moving pieces dictate how the entire game should be played! It is a cheap book, but the knowledge you'll get from it will be priceless. However, I did not fully understand it until I reached 1800. However it helped me from 1500-1600,1700. I think until you hit 1400 or 1500 that weapons of chess and attacking chess would be better books to invest in. And an endgame book, dvorskys or silmans.

t

Moves
26 Dec 08

I know my rhp rating at the moment is 1200 but that is just because of some deliberate resignations and some time outs.

k

washington

Moves
26 Dec 08

I would say the book is tailored toward more to someone who plays the sicilian defenses and d4 openings for both sides. It does cover pawn chains and I would say that this is a must have for every chess player.