1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 05:53
    as close as i have come....any thoughts?

Game 6077051
  2. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 13:571 edit
    Game 7119552

Better than a Grandmaster! I can beat the top engines (As long as they get banned before I lose). Is there any sweeter win than winning by default?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 15:46
    I beat an IM once ... in bullet. He was only rated 1600 at it, though. In a slow game he'd probably have killed me.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 17:40
    In USCF OTB I have drawn Masters several times, but have never won a game. Twice I have been a piece up, and they demonstrated why they are Masters and I am not,

As draws go, my nicest one was against NM Phil Collier in the Virginia State Championship back in the 90's. It was in September, and the previous July Phil had beaten GM Larry Christiansen in the World Open, so it was a "Kevin Bacon-esque" kind of moment.

On the negative side, I was up a bishop with queens and rooks still on the board in an open position, and he had two extra pawns. He offered a draw, and I chickened out and took it, partly out greed for rating points. Back then I was endgame-ignorant, and I probably would have lost anyway, but nowadays I am much more comfortable staying on top of the horse until the bucking stops.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Apr '18 16:463 edits
    Originally posted by @uzless
    as close as i have come....any thoughts?

Game 6077051
    Interesting game. As close as i have come was: 1988 - GM Maia Chiburdanidze. She played into a line of the Caro Kann I'd prepared, and I went 37 moves against her in a simultaneous exhibition, this allowed me to last longer than almost everyone else there.

I felt honored to just occupy the same room as her!
  6. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    22 Apr '18 16:33
    I drew with a GM in blitz once, that is as close as I have ever got.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '18 18:25
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Interesting game. As close as i have come was: 1988 - GM Maia Chiburdanidze. She played into a line of the Caro Kann I'd prepared, and I went 37 moves against her in a simultaneous exhibition, this allowed me to last longer than almost everyone else there.

I felt honored to just occupy the same room as her!
    I went 43 moves against Larry Evans in simul in Denver back in the day. Totally out of my depth of course. First time I ever played a GM in any venue, in fact had only been playing a few months, at a one year tech school at Lowrey AFB in Denver. I knew practically nothing about openings and was playing pure intuition, at least he didn't bagel me🙂
  8. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    07 May '18 02:261 edit
    I've beaten 7 masters in OTB tournaments, drew Irina Krush, Anna Khan, and Larry Christiansen in simuls, and beat one of the Polgar sisters on-line in a 2 minute game

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree