1. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 22:03
    IM currently graded 983... I realllly want to get about 2000 within 2-3 years... crazy? Wrong, not crazy! What tips would you give me (im 14 just now btw so pls dont say buy 50000248367268267 books)? Any things you stuck to for getting your grade up?
  2. Joined
    19 Jul '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 22:10
    You`ll find lots of help on the internet. Many of them give free advice.
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 22:121 edit
    First, my "serious" rating with another postal organization is 2021. I went from about 1600 doing the following: Play over a couple hundred UNANNOTATED master games using 5-10 min a game & trying to guess the next move. You are going after quantity here. This reinforces pattern recognition; this is how GM's play simuls so successfully...they recognize patterns and know what to look for. US Master Ken Smith used to recommend this.

Next... (1) Only consider the first 2-3 moves that pop into your head (2) Only look 3-4 moves deep. If you don't see how it loses a piece, play it. (3) Pick the move that looks the most threatening, even if it’s only in a general sort of way. (4) After your opponent moves and before you move, scan the ranks, files and diagonals.

You will then find yourself improving because you start zeroing in on opponent’s weak squares, loose pieces, things like that, and that is what chess is all about – pattern recognition and tactics; at least below Master level.

You may also want to read Search for Chess Perfection by Purdy. It's a collection of his magazine articles, so you can open it up anywhere and find some really good advice.
  4. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 22:17
    Originally posted by masscat
    First, my "serious" rating with another postal organization is 2021. I went from about 1600 doing the following: Play over a couple hundred UNANNOTATED master games using 5-10 min a game & trying to guess the next move. You are going after quantity here. This reinforces pattern recognition; this is how GM's play simuls so successfully...they recognize p ...[text shortened]... ction of his magazine articles, so you can open it up anywhere and find some really good advice.
    Thanks thats great help.

One thing was what do you mean by "scan the ranks, files and diagonals.
    " Do you mean just look up and down the diagnols and see if they are clear for your bishops or something?

thanks alot though
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 22:22
    I mean run your eyes up & down ranks, files and diagonals....this prevents you "fixating" on just a small sector of the board and will help you see when you're about to plop your Queen down on a square where it can be taken. This prevents those gross blunders. It also helps you see a lot of things you might otherwise miss.
  6. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 22:29
    Oh right thankies 🙂
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 23:17
    I started 5 months ago from zero. at first I played against chessmaster for a month or so. then I started doing tactics about 15min/day when I read somewhere that it would help. after two months, a friend of mine directed me to 'chess tactics server' and I started doing that every day. I became badly addicted to it, and now I do on average 2-3h tactics a day. after about three months I dipped my feet in RHP for the first time, being about 1200RHP then. I crossed 1600 briefly some time ago, but 4 losses in a row dropped me back to 1540. the goal is to stabilize rating over 1600 by christmas. oh, and I also do some elementary blindfold-training, but thats mainly to get a tool for reading algebraic lines in books.

I read a lot about chess, but mainly for fun and curiosity. I don't think I'm really ready to absorb book-knowledge just yet.

that's how I've been going at it. I thought it might interest you. I have the same shimmering dream of some day crossing that magical 2000-level, but I don't obsess about it. I might make it or not, but in the mean time I'm just having fun.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 23:27
    Study openings.
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 03:59
    Do tactic puzzles, then endgames, then openings. 2-3 years is reasonable. I'm at 1728 after 1.5 years in OTB. Hoping to get to 2000 eventually.
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 14:08
    Wormy, thanks for the info about the tactics server. It took me a bit to get used to the interface. Some are just common sense, some are the best defense and some are excellent combinations. All very useful.
  11. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 18:48
    Here's an old and badly designed site but one which will help a lot:
    http://www.entertainmentjourney.com/index1.htm
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 18:53
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Study openings.
    This is a horrible idea. Openings is the last thing he should be spending time on. You can't study openings at all until you can recognise tactics and use them to identify why certain moves can't be played.

Study tactics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree