Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 Nov '06 07:09
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1361577

    craziest opening i have seen.
  2. 18 Nov '06 07:15
    Originally posted by kmac27
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1361577

    craziest opening i have seen.
    Can't learn to much from that huh?

    That's why I like looking at old master games. They are simple to follow and the plans don't change much during the game.

    I can see why some GM's recommend studying old master games besides new gm games.
  3. 18 Nov '06 07:38
    Originally posted by kmac27
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1361577

    craziest opening i have seen.
    Wow .. and I thought I played some crazy Sicilian lines. Very interesting game though .. I don't think i've ever seen a piece sit en prise as long as that knight!
  4. Standard member Arrakis
    D_U_N_E
    18 Nov '06 09:26
    Originally posted by kmac27
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1361577

    craziest opening i have seen.
    That's an amazing game!

    Thanks for showing us that.
  5. 18 Nov '06 17:36
    the crazy thing is that they have several games where they play that opening and i can't find one where they lost. just another reason to like the sicilians great complicated games.
  6. Standard member Arrakis
    D_U_N_E
    18 Nov '06 18:31
    Originally posted by kmac27
    the crazy thing is that they have several games where they play that opening and i can't find one where they lost. just another reason to like the sicilians great complicated games.
    I believe the Sicilain is responsible for many players switching to 1.d4
  7. 18 Nov '06 18:40
    Originally posted by arrakis
    I believe the Sicilain is responsible for many players switching to 1.d4
    No way, who doesn't want to get to play those game!?
  8. 18 Nov '06 18:48 / 1 edit
    Hmmm.... verrry interesting indeed! thanks for posting that!

    So if black didn't play 5...e6 then the line played by white would not have been sucessful... isn't 5...e6 something like the hedgehog formation?

    I wonder if 7...g6 was the better move here.
  9. 18 Nov '06 19:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    So g6 is definitely the better move here.

    Smaug what's that in your avatar? Even when I zoom I don't get what it is... :/
  10. 18 Nov '06 19:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Hahaha, he's awesome looking too.

    Well, I mean, white gets some attack but black has no problems defending and gaining a stronger attack on the queenside.
  11. 18 Nov '06 19:25
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Dragon isn't refuted either.

    I was just joking around, but in all seriousness I'd steer clear of the Najdorf/Schev. until at least 1650 - There are far better choices in the Sicilian for amateurs that get overlooked often, the one that I think has the most potential and smallest following at our level is the Taimanov. It's super solid, seems rather tactical, and the lines are almost completely unknown at even my level (1650 PC, 1620 here).
  12. 18 Nov '06 19:38
    I was just thinking that 7...g6 would better controll the f5 square
  13. 18 Nov '06 19:40
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well you resigned some 50 games to lower the game load so it doesn't count.

    IDK, I think the Dragon is probably too complex as well, the number of lines are insane - but the ideas are crystal clear and I think a huge majority of my wins are from knowing the ideas instead of the line (since my opponents generally go out of book fast). I still don't get why the Taimanov hasn't caught on at lower levels.
  14. 18 Nov '06 20:51
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Hmmm.... verrry interesting indeed! thanks for posting that!

    So if black didn't play 5...e6 then the line played by white would not have been sucessful... isn't 5...e6 something like the hedgehog formation?

    I wonder if 7...g6 was the better move here.
    I think the Hedgehog formation is something like this:



    At least I think so.
  15. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    18 Nov '06 21:33
    Originally posted by darkguy00000
    I think the Hedgehog formation is something like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog_Defence