1. Joined
    05 Feb '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 12:221 edit
    How can one determine if your opponent is using a chess computer to play you?

In other words, how can one determine if another player is using something other than their brain?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 12:28
    Originally posted by WayneDawg

I'm not saying my current opponent is cheating (16 years old according to profile and 42 wins-1 loss), he may be a very talented young individual, but how can one determine if another player is using something other than their brain?
    Tie a rock around his neck and throw him in the swimming pool/river.If he drowns he was a honest player 😉

Seriously,notify the game mods if you have suspicions.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 12:29

I'm not saying my current opponent is cheating (16 years old according to profile and 42 wins-1 loss), he may be a very talented young individual, but how can one determine if another player is using something other than their brain?
    Carlson 13-14? --- elo:- 2500-2600?

so yes...young players can be very good

as for detecting cheats.....after the game has finished check it with a few engines. and if the moves match 100% you have reasonable grounds to report it to an admin/mod here.

until then -- mention no names, and I also suggest editing your post, so as t not give away any "clues"
  4. London
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 12:37

In other words, how can one determine if another player is using something other than their brain?
    If the player speaks the same language as you, try striking up a conversation about chess to see if they know their stuff. I lost a game to an obvious computer cheat once on another site - I went Bh7+ in a Closed Spanish and he wrote something along the lines of he didn't take it because the bishop was less of an atttacking piece than a rook. I also sac'd the exchange, which he mistook for the loss of a whole rook. Another clue is if you look through their past games and before a certain date they were all rubbish, then after it the person's rating is an upward curve.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 12:391 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    05 Feb '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 12:45
    I did not name names. I'm merely asking a question.
  7. Joined
    15 Apr '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 12:52
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    It seems to me you may be accusing [uid]xxxxxx[/uid] of cheating in [gid]xxxxxxx[/gid].

I have no comments on that as the game is in progress but it is very naughty to be effectively accusing a named individual of cheating.
    Why post links to the player and game? The original poster didn't actually accuse their opponent of cheating (even if it was implied), they asked how to check if someone is cheating.

I agree that they shouldn't have given clues as to the player's identity, but to use the clues to find the player and then post a link to the player's profile seems pretty naughty to me.
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 13:06
    Why do you think he's cheating? Maybe he's just a good player?
  9. Joined
    05 Feb '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 13:11
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    Why do you think he's cheating? Maybe he's just a good player?
    Most all players I play are good players.

I'm just asking a question on how to detect if an opponent is cheating, that's all.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 13:18
    it takes large scale statistical analysis to be sure. there's no way to be certain based on any single game, even if it maches highly against engines.

if you suspect cheating, report your suspicions to game mods (http://www.redhotpawn.com/comhub/volunteers.php) and they will work it out. do not start threads about it.

although I realize you didn't mean to accuse anyone in public, as you see, a person is already fingered. even if he's innocent, his reputation has already been compromised. that's exactly why public accusations are not allowed.
  11. Joined
    05 Feb '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 13:25
    Originally posted by wormwood
    it takes large scale statistical analysis to be sure. there's no way to be certain based on any single game, even if it maches highly against engines.

if you suspect cheating, report your suspicions to game mods (http://www.redhotpawn.com/comhub/volunteers.php) and they will work it out. do [b]not
    start threads about it.

although I realize you did ...[text shortened]... utation has already been compromised. that's exactly why public accusations are not allowed.[/b]
    I have not accused anyone.
  12. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 13:29
    In cases of threads of this nature, the forum mod should remove it and message the originator; also, an entry should be made in the FAQ's so this is clear. In hopes of avoiding future threads.
  13. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 14:14

firstly: do not think you are playing a computer just because you are losing.

secondly, if you stilll think you are playing a computer then alert the game moderators ****with good reasons**** why you think you are playing a computer.

if your reasons make good sense, then you might just see the player removed ... or you might feel like a fool.

most of us are fools 😉
  14. USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 23:13
    read in an article, that if you go over a game with a specific engine (don't remember which it was) and put in error detection for half pawn. That means it will tell you errors that are equivalent of losing hald a pawn. Even GM's make half pawn errors. If your opponent makes few or no half pawn errors, you should be suspicious

2nd, you should see their win-loss percentage against similiarly rated players. If it is over 50 or 60%, they may be using a computer
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 23:142 edits
    i feel thoroughly insulted by this thread

if you look at my blitz rating (more of a quick rating rly meaning games in 15-30 min) on uchess.com (i hate paying to play online chess) you'll see it at 1558 at the time of this post, with a record of 44-6-1 and I have stated multiple times on these forums that I am better at cc than other forms of chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree