1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 17:30
    Got to admit that I use an engine. It could do with a little servicing though. Time to take my car to the garage.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 17:31
    Originally posted by masscat
    Last year I was playing in an e-mail tmt. with the correspondence organization I belong to where I’m rated 2000+ and was playing a 1400. After about 25 moves I stood considerably worse and suspected the rascal might be an engine user, so started checking all his moves with Fritz to see if they matched. They didn’t….Fritz would evaluate the position at, say ...[text shortened]... a good game. Just because your opponent is lower rated and winning doesn’t mean he’s cheating.
    So you were a cheater then?

Whilst he presumably was not!
  3. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 17:341 edit
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I'm sorry but I gotta laugh at this since you advised him to edit his post but didn't edit your quote (which tipped me off since I didn't see the original post)
    Exactly!!!, but I am sure he didn't mean it.
  4. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 17:39
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    So you were a cheater then?

Whilst he presumably was not!
    I don't think I said I used an engine to select my moves...did I say that? I didn't say that. I said I used it to check the 25 moves that had already been played. Re-read the post.
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 17:40
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    So although your opponent wasn't using an engine, you were.

Oh, the irony!
    I don't think I said I used an engine to select my moves...did I say that? I think I said I used it to check the moves that had already been played. Re-read the post
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 17:48
    I don't think I said I used an engine to select my moves...did I say that? I didn't say that. I said I used it to check the 25 moves that had already been played. Re-read the post.
    Same thing!

Checking the accuracy of your opponents moves improves your ability to choose your moves.
  7. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 18:031 edit
    Same thing!

Checking the accuracy of your opponents moves improves your ability to choose your moves.
    How's that?! I've had opponents play the first 15-20 moves that I know were accurate because they were all book but it never stopped me from playing crap. If I'm playing a master, who I assume is playing accurate moves, it'll help me choose better moves? I haven't found that to be the case. What am I missing?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 18:18
    How's that?! I've had opponents play the first 15-20 moves that I know were accurate because they were all book but it never stopped me from playing crap. If I'm playing a master, who I assume is playing accurate moves, it'll help me choose better moves? I haven't found that to be the case. What am I missing?
    It's also possible that 1-2 moves ago, there was a strong move available that is still a strong move in the present position.

An ethical player must eschew all engine analysis of a game until the game's finished, to avoid falling into traps like the one above.
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 18:48
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's also possible that 1-2 moves ago, there was a strong move available that is still a strong move in the present position.

An ethical player must eschew all engine analysis of a game until the game's finished, to avoid falling into traps like the one above.
    Anything is possible, I guess, but I'm not interested in watching my engine play anybody, NOR am I interested in playing anybody else's engine since I can play my own. 12-15 years ago when engines were playing 1900-2100 and I realized 3 of my postal opponents were using Chessmaster I simply resigned those games. It cost me 150 rating points but who cares?
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 10:51
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    No no,it was the last move,the actual checkmate.
    exactly. but I meant with 'continuation' the moves that would follow after the checkmate. of course those moves can't be played, but the engine might calculate them anyway, depending on how the algorithm is implemented.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 11:26
    Originally posted by wormwood
    exactly. but I meant with 'continuation' the moves that would follow after the checkmate. of course those moves can't be played, but the engine might calculate them anyway, depending on how the algorithm is implemented.
    Uhm,I do believe the thing stops calculating when it reaches checkmate.
    If it doesn't then that's even stranger LOL
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 17:14
    why use an engine to play and inflate your rating when you can just play games with yourself...
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 17:55
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    why use an engine to play and inflate your rating when you can just play games with yourself...
    Playing with yourself is not much fun!
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 18:11
    Playing with yourself is not much fun!
    are we still talking about chess?
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 18:17
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    are we still talking about chess?
    Are you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree