How do people handle so many games?

How do people handle so many games?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
03 Jun 07

I thought I played a lot (my wife also agrees) but some of my opponents have literally hundreds of games on the go, and play upwards of 100 moves a day. Even if you have nothing else keeping you busy, how do you manage this? Also, you can't be spending much time on your moves. If you play 10 hours a day 100 moves is still only 6 minutes per move - I know some moves can be played in seconds, but even so, you can't be having many "big thinks". Wouldn't you get more out of it if you reduced your game load and took it a bit slower?

ET
Phoneless

Friendly Chess Club

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by d36366
I thought I played a lot (my wife also agrees) but some of my opponents have literally hundreds of games on the go, and play upwards of 100 moves a day. Even if you have nothing else keeping you busy, how do you manage this? Also, you can't be spending much time on your moves. If you play 10 hours a day 100 moves is still only 6 minutes per move - I know some ...[text shortened]... ". Wouldn't you get more out of it if you reduced your game load and took it a bit slower?
I understand what you mean... but your arithmetic is misguided.
Game move and timebank play a big part... you cannot simply divide time available by the number of games. Think about it.

G

Moves
03 Jun 07

I thought I played a lot (my wife also agrees) but some of my opponents have literally hundreds of games on the go, and play upwards of 100 moves a day. Even if you have nothing else keeping you busy, how do you manage this? Also, you can't be spending much time on your moves. If you play 10 hours a day 100 moves is still only 6 minutes per move - I know some ...[text shortened]... ". Wouldn't you get more out of it if you reduced your game load and took it a bit slower?
I have around 30 games going on. However, 90 percent of them is "Long Hauls" so I have 21 days to move.

I take my time analayzing them. I often look at all my games everyday even though I don't move in all of them. It gives you a familiarity with the positions.

...and also you can think about your moves in your dreams that way and absorb the positions subconsiencly(needs spell check) and throughly..

Just look at your games for 10-20 seconds a day and think about them later. Analyze it throughly before submitting it.

Hope this helps.

d

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by English Tal
I understand what you mean... but your arithmetic is misguided.
Game move and timebank play a big part... you cannot simply divide time available by the number of games. Think about it.
I wasn't dividing time by games (or vice versa). I was dividing their number of moves by time available. I said they played 100 moves per day, not 100 games. You can tell how many moves a day (roughly) they play from the "moves this month" box in their profile. Therefore, I don't think I got it wrong. Do you agree?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
03 Jun 07

Timeouts and Timebanks -> Use longer ones.

And remember to whin and moan about your blunders, to many games going on at once, no time for chess, people dragging out games, etc...

All part of having a huge game load.

t

Stormwind City

Moves
03 Jun 07

I'm not sure how people can handle so many games. I prefer to keep 2 games at once. I will let myself go up to 6 depending on what tournament I am entered in. Sure this approach does not yield many games, but I'm not the best chess player and I would rather make fewer good moves than a multitude of poor ones. -Typen

d

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by RahimK
Timeouts and Timebanks -> Use longer ones.

And remember to whin and moan about your blunders, to many games going on at once, no time for chess, people dragging out games, etc...

All part of having a huge game load.
I can see how using longer time limits helps manage a large game load. If you have 100 games per day but only use 21 day time limits, then you only have to average about 5 moves per day to keep up, even if your oppoents reply quickly. But some of my opponents play more than 100 moves per day. I don't understand how they can manage that.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
03 Jun 07

I can see how using longer time limits helps manage a large game load. If you have 100 games per day but only use 21 day time limits, then you only have to average about 5 moves per day to keep up, even if your oppoents reply quickly. But some of my opponents play more than 100 [b] moves per day. I don't understand how they can manage that.[/b]
Low quality moves perhaps?

d

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by RahimK
Low quality moves perhaps?
Interestingly, from what I have noticed they generally play pretty well, probably because they are getting so much practice. But they blunder more than other players whose game generally is to a similar standard. This makes them unsatisfying opponents, because it is quite likely that either:

a) You will have a high quality battle and a fascinating position, and then they throw away some material and you get an easy win - ok it's a point, but what an anti-climax; or

b) They don't blunder and you get whacked. Fair enough, except that their rating doesn't really reflect the quality of game they played against you, because they're losing rating points against everyone else by blundering. So your rating gets unfairly reduced.

It's a bit like those tennis players whose serve is unreturnable but they only get it in about 50% even on second serve. You can do nothing either way, just wait and see if they get more aces than double faults. You'll probably win, but it's not much fun.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
03 Jun 07
1 edit

I can see how using longer time limits helps manage a large game load. If you have 100 games per day but only use 21 day time limits, then you only have to average about 5 moves per day to keep up, even if your oppoents reply quickly. But some of my opponents play more than 100 [b] moves per day. I don't understand how they can manage that.[/b]
Some moves can be replaying of opening theory, some can be planned before and some can be made against weaker players which you dont take serious and want to win them faster. Also some moves can be obvious. But anyway - 100 moves per day is too much.

R

Moves
03 Jun 07

Interestingly, from what I have noticed they generally play pretty well, probably because they are getting so much practice. But they blunder more than other players whose game generally is to a similar standard. This makes them unsatisfying opponents, because it is quite likely that either:

a) You will have a high quality battle and a fascinating positio ...[text shortened]... see if they get more aces than double faults. You'll probably win, but it's not much fun.
I agree: Game 2626797 and Game 2841392 (the second player used to have a rating around 2000).

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Jun 07

a) You will have a high quality battle and a fascinating positio ...[text shortened]... see if they get more aces than double faults. You'll probably win, but it's not much fun.
they probably play easy games fast and hard ones slow. all the high rated fast movers move very slow and carefully against me. which I like, as I don't want to hurry either.

I also think that's one thing that separates good 1700's from the higher rated players. a 1700 can play a mean game, but they lack the dicipline to keep it up. at some point they play a couple of 'fast moves', and the game is suddenly hopeless. the 2000's just keep squeezing no matter what.

v

Moves
04 Jun 07
1 edit

The player known as GalaxyShield has 706 games in progress! That's 703 more than me...

User 96179

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Jun 07

Originally posted by violinpatrick
The player known as GalaxyShield has 706 games in progress! That's 703 more than me...

User 96179
200 moves a day.

k

washington

Moves
04 Jun 07

you can cycle your games. you get so much at a time. when clan games and tournament games are sent i play really fast against lower rated players in the opening and i take my time against the higher rated players. i will finish the easy games very fast and as the harder ones come i have more time to think.