1. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 05:55
    Does anybody know the Windows commands where you can append multiple pgn (text) files into 1 text file? This would make updating my database much easier.

Thanks!
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 10:071 edit
    Originally posted by passedpawn22
    Does anybody know the Windows commands where you can append multiple pgn (text) files into 1 text file? This would make updating my database much easier.

Thanks!
    Just open each pgn file and copy them into another pgn file with a space in between each game.

[EDIt] Oh, you want windows to do this for you automatically? I think you'd have to write your own program to do it, which is actually very simple.

D
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 10:27
    You can use the dos "copy" command. Select "run" from the start menu, type "cmd" to get a dos window and then look at the help file for "copy" (type - copy /?).
    I'd run some tests first as it could all go horribly wrong 🙂
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 11:27
    Originally posted by cabandmush
    You can use the dos "copy" command. Select "run" from the start menu, type "cmd" to get a dos window and then look at the help file for "copy" (type - copy /?).
    I'd run some tests first as it could all go horribly wrong 🙂
    copy game1.pgn+game2.pgn+game3.pgn allgames.pgn

Something like this?
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 14:38
    for a lot of files, probably easiest to do in a database program. that's why they exist.

for adding single files, I just do it as copy&paste in notepad after every game I complete. takes only seconds, starting up chessbase takes longer.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 14:54
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Just open each pgn file and copy them into another pgn file with a space in between each game.

[EDIt] Oh, you want windows to do this for you automatically? I think you'd have to write your own program to do it, which is actually very simple.

D
    If you have nothing to say ..... don't say it here. You have just wasted a post saying basically nothing. Save it for the General Forum.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 15:02
    Originally posted by Jie
    If you have nothing to say ..... don't say it here. You have just wasted a post saying basically nothing. Save it for the General Forum.
    I think he did...
    He gave a good advice.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 16:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I think he did...
    He gave a good advice.
    It's ok Fab, I'd just recommend not feeding this troll.

D
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 16:14
    It's ok Fab, I'd just recommend not feeding this troll.

D
    When he is helpful, he shouldn't be treated as a troll. We should be nice to him when he is nice. When he is trolling it's another thing.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 20:08

D
    I don't want to comment much but what is wrong with this statement by Ignorak? Where did the OP make such a request.
  11. Standard membermbakunin
    Radio Gnome
    Planet Gong
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 20:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When he is helpful, he shouldn't be treated as a troll. We should be nice to him when he is nice. When he is trolling it's another thing.
    he's not really being nice, or helpful, at all in this case, is he?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 21:02
    Originally posted by mbakunin
    Who is "he"? Read what was posted in relation to what was asked. Its normally very simple you know.
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 22:28
    Also, there are some pgn DOS utilities in the PGNUTILS package in the link below that might be of use to you. (Things like a utility to strip out the comments from a pgn, etc.)

http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/softeng.htm#PGNUTILS

While you can just use DOS commands like the other posters stated, the PGN Manager utility on the same page will also allow you to join and split pgn files.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 09:55
    Originally posted by Jie
    I don't want to comment much but what is wrong with this statement by Ignorak? Where did the OP make such a request.
    "Does anybody know the Windows commands where you can append multiple pgn (text) files into 1 text file?"

D
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 11:46
    Originally posted by mbakunin
    No, sorry, I was wrong.
    Now I see what you mean.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree