1. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 21:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Tipping the king is the traditional and most clear method. A handshake might be interpretated as a draw offer; even with stopping the clock - that could be a claim that there has been a 3 fold repetition.
    Nevertheless, stopping the clock and offering one's hand is the normal means of resigning among strong players and in tournament chess. Very few topple the king. In tournament play there is the safeguard that the players have to sign both scoresheets, which should contain the result of the game written clearly and unambiguously.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 15:57
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I usually stop the clock and offer a hand shake, and say good game, even if it wasn't. 😞
    I did this once, thinking I was accepting the obvious draw, only to discover that my opponent's clock had expired and I had won.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 16:12
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    In over the board chess there are several ways that people react in order to show a resignation, some pick the king up and turn it over, others stop the clocks, some do it verbally, some dont bother and just play on till mate and others simply offer a handshake.

Which one do you like to do? Personally, I quite like the stopping the clocks and a handshake approach, although in blitz I quite often play until mate or flagfall.
    get up and walk away...
    here's why: My opponent has to sit there and wait for time to expire, while I'm off getting a snack and some coke. If he leaves as well, I go back to the board, move, hit the clock, and leave again. now his time is expiring, and if he glances back into the hall, he will still think my time is expiring!
    if it doesn't work, and he stays in the hall, it doesn't matter, because I'd have lost anyway.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 17:32
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    In over the board chess there are several ways that people react in order to show a resignation, some pick the king up and turn it over, others stop the clocks, some do it verbally, some dont bother and just play on till mate and others simply offer a handshake.

Which one do you like to do? Personally, I quite like the stopping the clocks and a handshake approach, although in blitz I quite often play until mate or flagfall.
    There are a number of ways you can resign. One master deliberately fell asleep and let his clock run out. Tarrasch once picked up his king and threw it across the room. Nimzovich once jumped up onto the table and yelled "How did I lose to this idiot?!!"
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 17:40
    Tip your king over, shake hands, and use that killer grip you've been working on for the last 6 months to make him say mercy.

Then go sob in a corner... it really helps you focus on your next game 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree