1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 17:35
    In over the board chess there are several ways that people react in order to show a resignation, some pick the king up and turn it over, others stop the clocks, some do it verbally, some dont bother and just play on till mate and others simply offer a handshake.

Which one do you like to do? Personally, I quite like the stopping the clocks and a handshake approach, although in blitz I quite often play until mate or flagfall.
  2. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 17:41
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    In over the board chess there are several ways that people react in order to show a resignation, some pick the king up and turn it over, others stop the clocks, some do it verbally, some dont bother and just play on till mate and others simply offer a handshake.

Which one do you like to do? Personally, I quite like the stopping the clocks and a handshake approach, although in blitz I quite often play until mate or flagfall.
    I have two methods of resignation.

1: Topple the king/lay it on its side and congratulate my opponent.

2: Place a hand on either side of the board and fling it violently to the side, leap onto the table and attempt a headbut while being on all fours from the top of the table followed by a tyrade of abuse about my opponent being an Rtarded noob that cheated and put me off,for my piece da resistance I like to curl up in a ball in the nearest corner and sob like a four year old girl.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 17:46
    Originally posted by Pigface1

2: Place a hand on either side of the board and fling it violently to the side, leap onto the table and attempt a headbut while being on all fours from the top of the table followed by a tyrade of abuse about my opponent being an Rtarded noob that ch ...[text shortened]... resistance I like to curl up in a ball in the nearest corner and sob like a four year old girl.
    1. is just silly.

P-
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 17:461 edit

2: Place a hand on either side of the board and fling it violently to the side, leap onto the table and attempt a headbut while being on all fours from the top of the table followed by a tyrade of abuse about my opponent being an Rtarded noob that ch ...[text shortened]... resistance I like to curl up in a ball in the nearest corner and sob like a four year old girl.
    LMAO

EDIT: In the game analysis board there is an option called "flip board" which turns the board around. But, everytime I see it I think of an action similiar to what you describe.
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 18:46
    I think I said "Resign". I have not played over the board in some twenty five years or so.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 18:50
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex

Tipping the king is the traditional and most clear method. A handshake might be interpretated as a draw offer; even with stopping the clock - that could be a claim that there has been a 3 fold repetition.
  7. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 19:07
    I usually stop the clock and offer a hand shake, and say good game, even if it wasn't. 😞
  8. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 19:12
    Turn around to your other club members & say "screw you guys, I'm going home".
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 19:49
    Don’t know. I have not lost an OTB tmt. game since 1989.
  10. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 19:55
    Originally posted by masscat
    Don’t know. I have not lost an OTB tmt. game since 1989.
    One loss nearly 20 years ago shouldn't put you off tourni's forever.
    🙂
  11. Standard memberhAnimate
    mean & green
    .. here I am
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 20:29

nr.2 except I sob like a three year old boy.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 20:36
    I've found myself lookin for the link to click, saying "Resign" with the little yellowish-white colour.
    Perhaps I've played too much at RHP... 😞
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Turn around to your other club members & say "screw you guys, I'm going home".
    Wow it's a shame you hate your fellow club mates so much! I'm from Dorking chess club, not so far away you would be very welcome here as a member, maybe you should think of changing clubs if you are so unhappy with your fellow members there.
    Steve
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 21:08
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Wow it's a shame you hate your fellow club mates so much! I'm from Dorking chess club, not so far away you would be very welcome here as a member, maybe you should think of changing clubs if you are so unhappy with your fellow members there.
    Steve
    No - they're a nice bunch. Apart from the joker with the iPod.

Yes, Dorking is just around the corner. Horsham is closer though & they have a very active club & their 1st & 2nd teams are both in mid Sussex div 1 as (now) is Crawley 1.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 21:48
    One way is to look your opponent in the eye and Say Resign? while shaking his hand. Then record the win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree