How does an I.M. Live?

How does an I.M. Live?

Only Chess

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
03 Aug 22

This has always been a mystery to me. Is there enough money available in book deals, tournament prize money and Patrion sites to allow one to pay for food, shelter and clothing? Through the years I've read dozens of articles from I.M.s about regional and national tournaments, on rare occasion they speak of sleeping on someone's couch, in someone's basement or even in a closet during a tournament. I'm sure G.M.s live a little better, but the life of an I.M. sounds like a rough one. Any information would be appreciated.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 Aug 22
1 edit

@mchill said
This has always been a mystery to me. Is there enough money available in book deals, tournament prize money and Patrion sites to allow one to pay for food, shelter and clothing? Through the years I've read dozens of articles from I.M.s about regional and national tournaments, on rare occasion they speak of sleeping on someone's couch, in someone's basement or even in a closet ...[text shortened]... ittle better, but the life of an I.M. sounds like a rough one. Any information would be appreciated.
I can only report for a small smaple of german IM's all from whom I know (mostly in the vicinity of Karlsruhe) have a (at least partial) day job and play chess aside.

After looking up a few more German IM's in the wikipedia it seems that this is rather the rule than the exception (working ina bread job and playing chess aside).

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
03 Aug 22

Yeah, hard being an IM. Even worse being an FM - most live in a cardboard box. I heard FIDE issues food stamps along with the new title.

mlb62

Moves
03 Aug 22

https://chesscience.com/chess-grand-masters-how-do-they-make-money-and-how-much/

Moves
03 Aug 22

@ogb said
https://chesscience.com/chess-grand-masters-how-do-they-make-money-and-how-much/
That's a level above I.M., though. That said, I think most of the things in there are similar for them, only at a lower level. Teaching, being paid by semi-professional clubs, winning (in their case minor, but still) tournaments, and having second jobs.
These days, streaming, apparently, but you have to have the personality to pull that off. I certainly wouldn't even if my chess were any good.

Misfit King

Moves
04 Aug 22

@mchill

How does a 1300 at chess dot com live with himself?

te hee 🤭

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
05 Aug 22

@beowulf said
@mchill

How does a 1300 at chess dot com live with himself?

te hee 🤭
My OTB skills need improving, no doubt. I've written about them here before, however - what does this have to do with the life of an I.M. ?

e4

Moves
05 Aug 22

It all depends on your age, IM’s and GM’s are younger these days
because they still live with mum and dad.
Over 18 with a job then the time you can devout to the game becomes limited.

You could of course stay unemployed, live on benefit and chess lessons and what
ever you can pick up on prize money.

You will also need, and this is where most of all you will come unstuck,
a girlfriend who has a job. Hence the joke...

Q. What do you call am I.M. without a girlfriend?
A. Homeless.

Misfit King

Moves
05 Aug 22

@greenpawn34

I'm not an I.M. and I live by that code.

It's Ironclad 💪

Misfit King

Moves
05 Aug 22

Chess Bums need to survive too 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.