1. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 19:45
    When your last piece is taken, how many moves (each person) or TOTAL moves, but please specify.. I have heard 25, does that mean I GET 25 moves to check mate the other guy, or 12 moves, and he gets 13 to draw?
    Thanks,
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 19:54
    There's no such rule.

You might be thinking of the rule which says that it is a draw if 50 moves (each) are made with no captures or pawn moves.
  3. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 20:26
    Originally posted by Sequoia Hieghts 01
    When your last piece is taken, how many moves (each person) or TOTAL moves, but please specify.. I have heard 25, does that mean I GET 25 moves to check mate the other guy, or 12 moves, and he gets 13 to draw?
    Thanks,
    From the FAQ - A draw can be claimed without any interaction from your opponent under a number of conditions. These are as follows:

No piece capture or pawn movement has occurred for over 50 consecutive moves (100 half moves). Therefore the game has not progressed and a draw may be claimed by either player during their next move.
    Insufficient material remains on the board to finish the game. If only two kings remain then either player may claim a draw during their next move.
    Third repetition of a position. If any identical position appears three times during a game, then the game can be claimed as a draw. Please note that each repetition must be identical with regards to en passant and castling availability. A draw can only be claimed along with a move that contributes to a repetition. Claiming after the repetition has occurred is not possible, unless the same position can be repeated again on a future move.
  4. USA
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 20:47
    Originally posted by Sequoia Hieghts 01
    Thanks,
    I heard something about FIDE saying 75 moves for something, can't remember excatly what they said...
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 21:02
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    I heard something about FIDE saying 75 moves for something, can't remember excatly what they said...
    It is 50 moves both sides (100 half move). No exceptions.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 21:05
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    It is 50 moves both sides (100 half move). No exceptions.
    Well, if I have to be nitty, the exception is when neither side claim the draw, and no one remind the players. (Sorry)
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 21:15
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    For a while, FIDE modified the 50-move rule upward in certain endgames (like K&B&BvK&N) that computers showed to be a forced win, but they required more than 50 moves to deliver the mate against the best defense. FIDE has since recended that modification. It's now back to 50-moves max in all cases.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 21:35
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Well, if I have to be nitty, the exception is when neither side claim the draw, and no one remind the players. (Sorry)
    If you want to be picky!
  9. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 22:27
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    For a while, FIDE modified the 50-move rule upward in certain endgames (like K&B&BvK&N) that computers showed to be a forced win, but they required more than 50 moves to deliver the mate against the best defense. FIDE has since recended that modification. It's now back to 50-moves max in all cases.
    thats kinda stupid if you can force a mate in 51 moves, and thats the quickest way to mate... yet in 50 moves its a draw... so really, the rule is not proper if it is not in place to enforce a true drawn endgame.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree