1. washington
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 17:51
    well i find it disrespectful if someone keeps playing on when they like a piece down which is a rook or if they lose their queen for a bishop or knight. most people can't come back from that deficit if we're at the same level. But i have had some games latley where they tried to play on the game and one of them almost drew me and the in the other one i thought that i had mate in 3 and he wiggled out of it although i had a queen a knight and a bishop against a rook. if someone makes you mate them dont complain about it you wouldn't complain about it in a tournament.
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 18:19
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    1. h3 (white needs to drop a tempo) Qa2 2. h4 Qa1 3. h5 Qa2 4. h6 Qa1 5. h7 Qa2 6. h8=N Qa1 7. Nf7 Qa2 8. Nd6 Qa1 9. Nxb5 Qa2 10. Nd6 Qa1 11. Nxc4 Qa2 12. Na5 Qa1 12. Nxb3#
    ahhhh.....I thought Na5 lost because of bxa5.....
  3. Australia
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 02:51
    Originally posted by millerman
    O.K Caro kann,

So in no way did you ask him to resign or say better players would have resigned by now?

🙄
    Ha ha ha ... this is great !! I have been away for a week and indeed Mr Mammothman you stirrer ... I am suprised at ya! 🙄

And sorry Carrot Kant but ya did ya know !! I only continued playing because of the dig ... din't expect to win at all ... 😛 😛 your insults drove me to drag the game out as long as poss ..

Here is the msg log from the game ..

Message logMove Player Message
    37 White Oh dear !! That wasnt very clever was it !
    37 Black you have been lost for ages you idiot. any good player would have resigned ages ago.
    38 White Thanks for the insults BTW .. it is sooo gratifying to hear advice from such a masterB ... You twisted chunk of vomitous pigeon droppings

I still laugh about it every day ! ! 😉😀😉😀😵 In fact I'm laughing now!!
  4. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 12:32
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    I agree it was a funny game.

But the thing about being a bad sport for not resigning half way thru? Where you get that from.

And I couldnt do anything the mate was forced
    I took a fast look at the game and it seemed to me you could have stopped that mate. give up a pawn or two too sac a queen or two would have stoped that loss?
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 16:365 edits
    or even

White to move and win

😴
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 16:40
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    or even

White to move and win

[fen]7k/4R3/6K1/8/8/3nnbbr/3qqqqq/2rbqqqq b - - 0 1[/fen]

😴
    No, I don't think White's going to win this one. Sorry!
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    No, I don't think White's going to win this one. Sorry!
    Re8#...

Right?

EDIT: oops I think I've missed sarcasm. Oh well, I'll leave it up there.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 16:49
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Re8#...

Right?
    Wrong!
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 17:08
    Wrong!
    I see. How does black avoid mate then?

I even gave black 1 B too many and he still cannot do it!
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 18:58

Keep going...you've almost answered your own question...
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 19:45
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    You can be down and overwhelming amount of material and still mate....

[fen]7k/4RK1P/4PPPP/3N3P/5P2/4nnbr/4qqqq/1B1bqqqq b - - 0 1[/fen]

Black to move.

***I'm sure its even possible to create a position where white has even less material and still mates.

In practical play however, most people would get a single Queen then defend/attack, not march another 3 pawns down the board while white/black carries out his own plans
    Oddly enough, this problem (from page 1) also finds White without a forced mate.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 22:40

Funny you should mention that extra Bishop. Black also has 8 'extra' Queens. Promoting that 9th Black pawn is the tricky part.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 18:19
    Both DragonFire's and Shinidoki's positions are illegal. The former shows 9 promoted pieces, while the latter requires many wP captures, but Black isn't missing enough pieces. In both cases, Black can escape mate by simply pointing out that the position is illegal.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 18:42
    Both DragonFire's and Shinidoki's positions are illegal. The former shows 9 promoted pieces, while the latter requires many wP captures, but Black isn't missing enough pieces. In both cases, Black can escape mate by simply pointing out that the position is illegal.
    that does not matter in a problem. it doesn't have to be a legal position.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 19:432 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    that does not matter in a problem. it doesn't have to be a legal position.
    If you don't have a legal position, it's not a chess problem anymore. If the rules of the game don't matter, or can be violated at will, then why not move the King three squares at a time to get out of checkmate?

This is exactly why chess problem magazines will not accept originals with illegal positions (the exception is chess variant problems).

Edit: Here are two links illustrating the convention of legality.

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~elkies/FS23j.03/glossary_chess.html

"Legal position (n.): a position that can be reached from the initial array by game consisting entirely of legal moves, however bizarre. Conventionally any chess problem should have a legal position." (emphasis mine)

http://www.bcps.knightsfield.co.uk/introduction.html

"Position

Chess problems do not use positions taken from games. A diagram inviting you to work out how a chess player overcame his opponent is hopefully interesting, intriguing and instructive, but it is not a chess problem. The position of a chess problem is created by a Composer (or Problemist). By convention the position should be legal, that is, it must be capable of arising in a game of chess, however unlikely the moves leading up to it may have been." (emphasis mine)

Edit 2: And finally, the killer, from the FIDE Codex of Chess Composition: (http://www.sci.fi/~stniekat/pccc/codex.htm)

"Chapter IV - Miscellaneous Conventions
    Article 14 - Legality of Positions

(1) A position is legal if it can be reached by a sequence of moves from the initial array [17]. Otherwise, the position is called illegal [18].

(2) In studies and problems that apply the FIDE-rules, illegal positions are not acceptable for composition tournaments unless the tournament conditions so stipulate." (emphasis mine)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree