1. ...who does not know
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:411 edit
    Just wondered how sound I played this game. I make a huge trade down in the center to open up the game and control the middle. This opponent and I play often and have some pretty exciting games. Just wanted to see if it was put together well or not. I believe the last move my friend makes, is a resignation. His king had another move, at least I think he does.Game 6334233😴😲🙄😉😏
  2. e4
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:50
    I've tried contacting you via ESP so I could see the game.
    But my mental telepathy is not up to scratch at the moment.

Post the game
  3. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:522 edits
    OK fixed the game post bit then...I'll go look at it
  4. ...who does not know
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:53
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I've tried contacting you via ESP so I could see the game.
    But my mental telepathy is not up to scratch at the moment.

[b]Post the game
    [/b]
    I heard you and came back to post it. LOL Sorry.😀
  5. e4
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:58
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    I heard you and came back to post it. LOL Sorry.😀
    It's alright, but you gave it such a build up I was dying to see it.

Now have to go out and search neighbourhood for lost cat.
    Back in 10 minutes.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:59
    I would say no, your game was not sound. Your king was totally exposed. In general it is a good idea to get your king castled (generally king side) and do not touch the three pawns directly in front of your castled king. When you expose your king, you give your opponent a chance at counter play.

I'm not so good, so take the advice for what it's worth.
  7. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:00
    I cringed at 4 Nd5, why is he going again its someone elses turn! Was expecting f4 and Nf3 I guess. The free bishop blundered at move 21 was the end, but a nice unexpected (for me) mate I thought you'd have to promote a pawn to get it done.
  8. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:201 edit
    Originally posted by Exuma
    I cringed at 4 Nd5, why is he going again its someone elses turn! Was expecting f4 and Nf3 I guess. The free bishop blundered at move 21 was the end, but a nice unexpected (for me) mate I thought you'd have to promote a pawn to get it done.
    Yeah, that knight being there caused problems for me. I get what you're saying about giving someone else a turn.

F4, I'm a hesitant to play king's gambit. (if that is what that is). I really don't know what to do with it yet I guess. I'm more likely to play f3, but that has gotten me jammed up a bit some too.
  9. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    25 May '09 11:50
    Yeah, that knight being there caused problems for me. I get what you're saying about giving someone else a turn.

F4, I'm a hesitant to play king's gambit. (if that is what that is). I really don't know what to do with it yet I guess. I'm more likely to play f3, but that has gotten me jammed up a bit some too.
    I recommend the King's Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.f4) as an opening to play while learning. You'll probably lose a few games at first, but over time you start to recognise the common Black defences. The positions that result from it are usually very tactictal, and you learn to appreciate the value of developing faster than your opponent. It may not be sound at GM level, but not many of us are there yet! Specifically -

- The strategy is clear : castle and give your rook free reign on the open file. Simple.

- It's fun! The games are often short and fiery, as white is ahead in development, but his king is exposed. The resulting game is a tussle to see who can capitalise first.
  10. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 May '09 12:37
    Just wondered how sound I played this game. I make a huge trade down in the center to open up the game and control the middle. This opponent and I play often and have some pretty exciting games. Just wanted to see if it was put together well or not. I believe the last move my friend makes, is a resignation. His king had another move, at least I think he does.Game 6334233😴😲🙄😉😏
    I think that 20. Rg8 wins by force. Everything in the back rank gets tied up for quite a while.
  11. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 May '09 14:04
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I think that 20. Rg8 wins by force. Everything in the back rank gets tied up for quite a while.
    I'm in check though? What about black Kd7? Am I not seeing it?
  12. e4
    Moves
    25 May '09 15:42
    Your 4.Nd5 was awful. He should have taken your e-pawn,
    there is no tactcial comeback, and walloped you.

As it is you won the game so no leasson learned there.

So have to say it again. Your 4.Nd5 was a awful move,
    it was actually worse than leaving a piece hanging.

You can overlook losing a piece but you played 4.Nd5 on purpose.

If it was played to set a trap I'd give you 9/10 for having the balls to try it.
    But there is no trap.
    It's just a crap move and moves of this type need to be removed from your game.

Sorry to labor the point but as I stated you won this game so if
    your face is not rubbed in it then you will do it again and again
    till you get scudded.

In the opening it's all about hitting and covering central squares.
    The Knight on c3 protects e4 and attacks d5.
    A Knight on d5 in this position is a clown.
    You cannot attack or protect squares by sticking a Knight on them.

4.d3 5.Nf3 6.0-0 how hard was that?
    Then you can start messing about all you wish, but your first
    10 moves should be soley directed at central development.
    (delvelop your bits so they aim at the centre - not sit on the centre).

The game was still in the balance till he blundered his Bishop.

In this position. You played 23. Rh5.

You quickest wrap up was 23.Rg7 Ke8 28.Rg8+ Kd7 29.Rf8

and I think this is the position another poster had in mind when he
    said Black's back rank gets tied up.
  13. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 May '09 18:51
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Your 4.Nd5 was awful. He should have taken your e-pawn,
    there is no tactcial comeback, and walloped you.

As it is you won the game so no leasson learned there.

So have to say it again. Your 4.Nd5 was a awful move,
    it was actually worse than leaving a piece hanging.

You can overlook losing a piece but you played 4.Nd5 on purpose.

If it was ...[text shortened]... is is the position another poster had in mind when he
    said Black's back rank gets tied up.
    Yeah, I had trouble with the whole game because of that knight. Closing up with d3 and leaving the bishop out there. Is that part of the "London System"? You're not hurtin' my feelings Greenpawn. If I was sensitive, I wouldn't have asked for people's opinions. 😉 I appreciate the help. In hindsight, it seems obvious.
  14. Lagos
    Moves
    25 May '09 19:09
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    I recommend the King's Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.f4) as an opening to play while learning. You'll probably lose a few games at first, but over time you start to recognise the common Black defences. The positions that result from it are usually very tactictal, and you learn to appreciate the value of developing faster than your opponent. It may not be sound at GM l ...[text shortened]... ent, but his king is exposed. The resulting game is a tussle to see who can capitalise first.
    I think I read somewhere that lower rated players should refrain from playing gambits. That they should stick to solid openings e.g. Ruy and Giuoco Piano.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 May '09 19:32
    Originally posted by Goshen
    I think I read somewhere that lower rated players should refrain from playing gambits. That they should stick to solid openings e.g. Ruy and Giuoco Piano.
    Whoever wrote that is a panzy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree