1. Big D
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 17:05
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    Last week I had a game OTB that ended up in a rook-ending and when we had promoted the pawns and exchange the rook, there was a Queen-ending......I lost it.

Now I understand that I nead to study end-games carfully. I know the basics. I have some books at home. Can somebody give me a hint on how I can manage to be good in endgames untill July, this summer ???
    "Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner To Master," delivers the quick and dirty way to learn a lot of the practical stuff you need to know in the endgame. If you're really serious, it includes a bibliography and a section on recommended reading.
  2. Big D
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 17:08
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    Last week I had a game OTB that ended up in a rook-ending and when we had promoted the pawns and exchange the rook, there was a Queen-ending......I lost it.

Now I understand that I nead to study end-games carfully. I know the basics. I have some books at home. Can somebody give me a hint on how I can manage to be good in endgames untill July, this summer ???
    I used to set up positions with few pieces on the computer and play. I might then add another piece or pawn to either side or decrease the number of advantages. The important thing is to master the basics by going from the simple to the complex.
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 17:17
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    "Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner To Master," delivers the quick and dirty way to learn a lot of the practical stuff you need to know in the endgame. If you're really serious, it includes a bibliography and a section on recommended reading.
    It has some irritating typos. I purchased this book and is really good so far (I am at C-class player section of the book at the moment)
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 18:39
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    It has some irritating typos.
    Don't they all! Any significant typos beyond those already mentioned on Silman's web site?

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_news/endgame_eratta.html
  5. London
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 18:44
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    My favorite endgame book. Just wish it was republished in algebraic notation in English.
    ISBN 0-7134-4210-7

Published by Batsford - I bought a second hand copy via amazon last week. All I have to do now is read it!
  6. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 22:18
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    What do you think about Silman's endgame course if you saw it ?
    Silman covers much of the same material that Paul Keres covers in his book, but it is easy to understand. However, Silman is writing for the market. His material is designed for players less than 2000. I agree he has chapters dedicated to 2000-2200 and above 2200, but the build of the content is for lower rated players.

The most memorable parts of Paul Keres book are his presentation of studeies, like Philidors', showing their conclusions, and disproving them. That shows his genius.

Mark Dvoretsky is probably the greatest trainer in histroy, but his material is deep and not easy to understand the first time through. The series School of Chess Excellence is much better written that his previous work. Of course, Technique for the Touranment Player is one of the sacred bibles of chess.

Silman's novel approach at categorizing material by rating is unsurpassed. All chess book now need to be written this way.

But, you know, I still carry Chernev's Practical Chess Endings with me everywhere I go. If I'm at a stop light, in a doctor's office, or catch a break at work I find myself still reading his book.

Back to your question, I think all chess players should own a copy of Silman's Complete Endgame Course. It is better written than How to Reassess Your Chess and the Amateur's Mind. As he gets older his books get better, and his publishing get better too. I really enjoyed Chess Digest when it was in publication, but as a publishing company for chess books it sucks. Silmans work in his first endgame book was good, but the publishing was not. He has admitted that he only did it for the money.

One more thing ... Silman is still someone I would like to meet before I die (Jim Dandy's on that list too -- nothing to do with chess, but some great early rock 'n roll, BOA, Black Oak Arkansas).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree