1. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 02:19
    Last week I had a game OTB that ended up in a rook-ending and when we had promoted the pawns and exchange the rook, there was a Queen-ending......I lost it.

Now I understand that I nead to study end-games carfully. I know the basics. I have some books at home. Can somebody give me a hint on how I can manage to be good in endgames untill July, this summer ???
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 02:31
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    Last week I had a game OTB that ended up in a rook-ending and when we had promoted the pawns and exchange the rook, there was a Queen-ending......I lost it.

Now I understand that I nead to study end-games carfully. I know the basics. I have some books at home. Can somebody give me a hint on how I can manage to be good in endgames untill July, this summer ???
    join personal chess training.. its helped my endgames a huge amount and not much else has..

pm petrovitch or thgibbs
  3. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 02:58
    obtain book, open book, read book. you have 2/3 to go.
  4. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 03:25
    I have some books written by J. Averbach. Lehrbuch der Schachendspeile Band 1 und 2. It is dated back to 1974. So now I have around 800 pages to read :-P
  5. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 12:22

Why not join PCT , look at the personal chess training thread. In addition, I just purchased silman complete endgame course. This book is unique because the lessons are divided by rating categories. Very good one ! In chessmaster 10th there is very very large endgame course, it is very good !
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 17:56

watch my endgames very closely, and then do exactly the opposite. 😳
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 17:58
    Originally posted by wormwood
    watch my endgames very closely, and then do exactly the opposite. 😳
    I beg to differ. Watch MY endgames very closely and do exactly the opposite.
  8. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 18:06
    I have some books written by J. Averbach. Lehrbuch der Schachendspeile Band 1 und 2. It is dated back to 1974. So now I have around 800 pages to read :-P
    suggest you read volume one first.
  9. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 01:24
    I am probably going to try PCT, when I have time. I also going to work with my books and maybe build up an own database with endgames.....Thanks for the help.
  10. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 01:25
    I am probably going to try PCT, when I have time. I also going to work with my books and maybe build up an own database with endgames.....Thanks for the help.
    PCT is at your own rate so you make the time for it.
  11. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 04:35
    If you're looking for a book, I suggest "Practical Chess Endings", by Paul Keres.
  12. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 06:25
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    If you're looking for a book, I suggest "Practical Chess Endings", by Paul Keres.
    My favorite endgame book. Just wish it was republished in algebraic notation in English.
  13. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 21:31
    Yeah, that would be neat. I have it in Spanish with descriptive notation, but it's not that hard to follow.
  14. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 21:33
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    My favorite endgame book. Just wish it was republished in algebraic notation in English.
    What do you think about Silman's endgame course if you saw it ?
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 22:56
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    What do you think about Silman's endgame course if you saw it ?
    I really like it. I thought the early information (Class D, C, B) was very easy but then offered a couple of the quizzes to the Mustang Clan in private forums with some very good players getting basic endgame material wrong.

This more than anything else has convinced me not to take the early draw and instead just keep grinding until one of us (myself or my opponent) actually spots a decisive mistake.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree