1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 19:17
    Why bother trying to get a kid to understand something his mind isn't ready for yet?

Explain the idea, test to see if the kid understands. If the kid understands it, great! Move on to the next idea! If the kid doesn't understand, then come back and try again in a month or two.

Practice what he knows. Let him have success doing stuff he understands and make sure what you are doing is enjoyable. I'd say understanding this concept is more important than trying to force a concept that a kid isn't ready for quite yet.
  2. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 03:00
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why bother trying to get a kid to understand something his mind isn't ready for yet?

Explain the idea, test to see if the kid understands. If the kid understands it, great! Move on to the next idea! If the kid doesn't understand, then come back and try again in a month or two.

Practice what he knows. Let him have success doing stuff he understands a ...[text shortened]... ncept is more important than trying to force a concept that a kid isn't ready for quite yet.
    Good points!
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 10:14
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/checkerboard

check·er·board
    noun -ˌbȯrd

Definition of CHECKERBOARD

: a board used in various games (as checkers) with usually 64 squares in 2 alternating colors
    According to wikipedia several variants exist. Most popular are international draughts on a 10x10 board and English draughts on an 8x8 board. We were both right :-)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 12:192 edits
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    I am teaching chess to my 4 year old. He is able to setup the board, and recognizes the pieces by name. Now, I want to teach him the movement of various pieces. Looking for some suggestions for explaining the concept of diagonal (understands the concept of square) and the movement of bishop?

Currently, after setting up the board we just play by moving pieces, and I tell him how the pieces move and capture.
    young daughter checkmates her father with a bishop and knight,

YouTube

an inspiration, i taught my kids to play chess, they took the pieces and thought it was like a football game, you scored a goal for every piece you captured 🙁

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree