How to learn and not cheat

How to learn and not cheat

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by ChessMom
I understand the rationale for using databases. I understand the bit about the player having to make the ultimate decision about what move to play.

But unfortunately, to me, the Starry-Eyed Idealist, it still looks like you're just using the "Hint" function. I can win against Chesster the Rat if I play the entire game taking the Hint function's adv ...[text shortened]... Pocket Fritz logged onto an online database through your cell phone?

Or are you?

ChessMom, if you really want that "clash of the titans", 2 intelectuals staring each other down, the chess board a medium for their war, then try out over the board play. Your profile says you are from the U.S., so check out the United States chess Federation (www.uschess.org) and find tournaments in your area. I know my associate often has seperate beginner sections for those who havn't played before. In these tournaments you may access nothing other than your mind. This is how Fisher, Kasparov, Karpov, Morphy and the other greats competed.

However correspondence chess has always always always allowed references to books and latter to databases, but never a kibitz from another person or thing that can evaluate the board.

Finally, please reaalize that many people here don't use databases. Personally, I only use them when learning a new opening, I know my old openings so well, that I don't usually need a book. However, I would never try anything new if it wern't permissible to yuse references.

If you really want internet chess play w/o any help, try FICS, PlayChess, ICC or any other non-correspondence site.

N

The sky

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by zebano
ChessMom, if you really want that "clash of the titans", 2 intelectuals staring each other down, the chess board a medium for their war, then try out over the board play. Your profile says you are from the U.S., so check out the United States chess Federation (www.uschess.org) and find tournaments in your area. I know my associate often has seperate beginne ...[text shortened]... internet chess play w/o any help, try FICS, PlayChess, ICC or any other non-correspondence site.
I doubt she will be reading your post... Her last post was on Jan 10, and she has never made a move here.

z

Moves
05 Dec 05

And chess rewards people who are good at memorizing things.
I see that my previous post may not have been necessary as you understand the way things stand. Your statement above however is false. I believe chess rewards those who recognize patterns. Memorization helps you in the opening and the basic endings only. Beyond that, it is of very little worth.

z

Moves
05 Dec 05

Why won't anybody answer this question that I keep asking: If using databases and books during game play is so "okay", why aren't you allowed to use them during tournaments?
The answer is simple and has been stated many times. You cannot in Over the board chess, this is not over the board chess. OTB and CC are 2 sperate games.

z

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by Nordlys
I doubt she will be reading your post... Her last post was on Jan 10, and she has never made a move here.
Ahh. An interesting thread on the first page and I spent an hour reading all that from January? Nuts

The RudeΒ©

who knows?

Moves
05 Dec 05

OTB and CC are 2 sperate games.
Your forum title is really appropriate........besides that why do you waste your time answering to an user who never made a move here and disappeared a year ago?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
05 Dec 05

Ahh. An interesting thread on the first page and I spent an hour reading all that from January? Nuts
Gotcha!!

πŸ˜‰

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
05 Dec 05

and me. :'(

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Feb 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Gotcha!!

πŸ˜‰

N

The sky

Moves
12 Feb 07

Still the forum archaeologist, I see. Exy's comments are interesting to read in retrospect...

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Feb 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
Still the forum archaeologist, I see. Exy's comments are interesting to read in retrospect...
Yep. When certain bones need to be on display, I try to dig them up. TragicRain's tirade in Thread 58778 sent me digging this time.

N

The sky

Moves
12 Feb 07

Yep. When certain bones need to be on display, I try to dig them up. TragicRain's tirade in Thread 58778 sent me digging this time.
Yes, I guessed so. That thread is tragic.

s

Moves
12 Feb 07
1 edit

me also. what a waste of time. I asked a similar question a while back, and was told it was ok to use databases. To my surprise they do not help very much at all, at my level no-one is following 'the main line' of any opening, usually by move three its all out the window.

Oh well, it was better than actually working at work, maybe.

G

Moves
12 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by nonnymoose
I've decided to get more serious about my chess play. I'm currently around 1300 and I desire to be around 1600 (as my next goal). Mind you, I'm not worried about my rating but my chess playing. This is why I don't take games that time out when I'm losing them...cuz I'm playing for the joy of playing, not to boost my rating.

That said, I'm wondering software that will analyze your games and suggest areas of study?

TIA,

Nonny
Hey guys,

This fella is right. Don't cheat. It's no good.

It just hurts your chess, your brain, pride, honour and last but not least self respect.

A sincere advice from an ol' G. πŸ˜‰

Gino

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Feb 07

Originally posted by GinoJ
Hey guys,

This fella is right. Don't cheat. It's no good.

It just hurts your chess, your brain, pride, honour and last but not least self respect.

A sincere advice from an ol' G. πŸ˜‰

Gino
Who said anything about cheating?