How to prepare for tournament?

How to prepare for tournament?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
President of Texas

My Ranch

Moves
02 Aug 06
1 edit

Hi, I have a USCF tournament coming up on August 11 and I was wondering how I should prepare for it. I've currently only been in 1 other OTB tourney and didn't really prepare although I got first w/ a 5-0 score. This tournament however will be with more players that are stronger than the ones prior. Any info will be most appreciated!

thanks
RHP United
TXmade

ps - Please consider joining the RHP United Clan. thx

EDIT: Also, if anyone knows any traps that might prove useful in the tourney, could you teach me them...thanks

c

USA

Moves
02 Aug 06

If you have little time to spare, the best bang for your time would probably be tactics and endgame.

J

Moves
02 Aug 06

Don't do any alcohol or drugs for at least a week before the tournament and excercise every day. Eat a well balanced diet and drink plenty of water.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
02 Aug 06

If you know who you are facing then study their games and prepare to face them. That adds at least 50 points to your rating. I always try to do this if I can.

Study tactics till then and especailly right before the game if you can. Before the game the tactics you study shouldn't be really hard. Maximum 1 min per problem.

Brush up on your endgame, just the simple ones.

Play though some quick master games to get ready. And do not play blitz right before your OTB game or I prefer not playing blitz at all at any point during the week. I don't play blitz ever. Maybe 3 times a month so that's like nothing.

T
President of Texas

My Ranch

Moves
02 Aug 06

Originally posted by RahimK
If you know who you are facing then study their games and prepare to face them. That adds at least 50 points to your rating. I always try to do this if I can.

Study tactics till then and especailly right before the game if you can. Before the game the tactics you study shouldn't be really hard. Maximum 1 min per problem.

Brush up on your endgame, just ...[text shortened]... point during the week. I don't play blitz ever. Maybe 3 times a month so that's like nothing.
Thanks for the help! I'll start preparing..

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
02 Aug 06

Originally posted by TEXASmade
Thanks for the help! I'll start preparing..
I love those tournament where you know in advance who you are facing and what color and then you can prepare. Lots of lower rated players don't and a person who does would have a huge advantage over them.

I won this huge 8 round tournament Jan, Feb every thursday and part of the reason was that I was prepared. After the first couple of rounds they give the potential pairing for the top board and since I was number 1 in my section I had top board and had potential ratings so I would prepare for that opponent and the opponents close in points just incase 1 of them didn't show up and I got a different pairing.

S

Moves
02 Aug 06

1 Get a good night's sleep before
2 Eat a good breakfast
3 Don't ask opponent what his/her rating is before the game. If he/she asks you, knock off 400 points🙂
4 Get some fresh air between games and eat some food
5 Enjoy yourself(Not easy)

T
President of Texas

My Ranch

Moves
02 Aug 06
1 edit

Thanks for all the help! I've only been in one tournament but it was pretty pathetic. Here's the URL

http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200512108521.4-13304021

I didn't prepare at all for it but I went 5-0 in it. I never had to play the top player(1452) in the tourney because he showed up late but afterwards we played 5 15 min. games and I was 2-1-2 against him...

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
03 Aug 06

Originally posted by Sharastani
1 Get a good night's sleep before
2 Eat a good breakfast
3 Don't ask opponent what his/her rating is before the game. If he/she asks you, knock off 400 points🙂
4 Get some fresh air between games and eat some food
5 Enjoy yourself(Not easy)
I don't like checking my opponent's rating till after the game is over. In fact I do it on purpose, I only write thier names and after the game I write their rating and mine.

Physcoligical things you know.

E

Moves
03 Aug 06

take a break from chess for about a week, when i play every day i start to play bad but i take a long break and i play a lot better.

Moves
03 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by TEXASmade
Hi, I have a USCF tournament coming up on August 11 and I was wondering how I should prepare for it. I've currently only been in 1 other OTB tourney and didn't really prepare although I got first w/ a 5-0 score. This tournament however will be with more players that are stronger than the ones prior. Any info will be most appreciated!

thanks
RHP United ...[text shortened]... nyone knows any traps that might prove useful in the tourney, could you teach me them...thanks
Relax, have fun....in a week the improvements you can make to your theoretical chess will be nil, however the physiological state you enter the tournament will have a big effect on how you do. Before the tournament spend time doing things you like, enter the tournament with a real feel good factor and you will do better.

I got some advice from an IM once, he said before the tournament, dont eat a heavy meal since the body takes away blood from the brain and uses it in the stomach....no idea if this is true or not, never really bothed to check it, but heavy meals do tend to leave you feeling sluggish (maybe from less blood to the head?) so best to avoid.

I think it was Larsen who said something along the lines of never make a chess move when you need to pee

😛

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Aug 06

Originally posted by Bedlam
I got some advice from an IM once, he said before the tournament, dont eat a heavy meal since the body takes away blood from the brain and uses it in the stomach....no idea if this is true or not, never really bothed to check it, but heavy meals do tend to leave you feeling sluggish (maybe from less blood to the head?) so best to avoid.
I'm almost in coma for the next 2-3h after I eat.

an easy way to test the effects of eating is chess tactics server. first, do problems until your RD goes down to 16-18, then eat the meal, wait for half an hour for the effects to hit you fully, and then do another session.

I get a huge hit in accuracy, dropping from 88% to 80% or even under. that means the failures have about doubled, and my rating drops also.

IFI

Moves
03 Aug 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
take a break from chess for about a week, when i play every day i start to play bad but i take a long break and i play a lot better.
Same thing happens to me too. But if you take too long of a break it might be bad.

E

Moves
03 Aug 06

Originally posted by I Falco I
Same thing happens to me too. But if you take too long of a break it might be bad.
i dont think so, also dont forget to take a long nap the day before lol, not the day of the tournament cuz then youre mind is mush.

T
President of Texas

My Ranch

Moves
04 Aug 06

Thanks for all the help. Today I'm going to an unrated tournament at the same chess center to hopefully find out more about some of my opponents like some of you said. thanks

RHP United
TXmade