1. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 02:40
    Ive read 2/3 through the book and my planning has so much improved it's amazing, the Silman planning method is truly amazing. I thought Yasser Seirawan was the best chess author but now I might be favoring Silman. The great thing about this book is that it's so damn easy to read!!! I finished 1/2 the book in one sitting, I didnt have to set up a bunch of games and do a bunch of tedious work like most chess books demand. Guys pick up a copy of How to Reassess Your Chess, you wont be disappointed.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 02:44
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Ive read 2/3 through the book and my planning has so much improved it's amazing, the Silman planning method is truly amazing. I thought Yasser Seirawan was the best chess author but now I might be favoring Silman. The great thing about this book is that it's so damn easy to read!!! I finished 1/2 the book in one sitting, I didnt have to set up a bunc ...[text shortened]... ss books demand. Guys pick up a copy of How to Reassess Your Chess, you wont be disappointed.
    No way, it's a great book but easy to read? I read it when I was around 1300 and most of the concepts were way way over my head. I think that book should be read when you are around 1800. Then it would make more sense. Everything would make more sense.
  3. Seattle
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 04:51
    Originally posted by RahimK
    No way, it's a great book but easy to read? I read it when I was around 1300 and most of the concepts were way way over my head. I think that book should be read when you are around 1800. Then it would make more sense. Everything would make more sense.
    Interestingly enough, Silman was criticized for teaching his lower rated students (800s and such) these "complex" ideas. He then remarked taht how can you expect a student to improve if you dont FORCE them to learn these concepts. you cant expect them to get smarter to learn an idea when they need to learn the idea to be smarterπŸ˜› . Just have someone who can explain anything they dont understand and keep pressing on to learn.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 05:13
    Haven't read it, but Dan Heisman recommends the book for people rated above 1650 USCF. He does say the first 52 pages are much more basic than the rest of the book. On Dan's web site, he quotes Silman as recommending that you read the first 52 pages of Reassess, then read the Amateur's Mind, then read the rest of Reassess. (Then read the Reassess workbook.)

So I guess I'd agree with Rahim and Heisman.
  5. Joined
    24 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 13:05
    Ive read 2/3 through the book and my planning has so much improved it's amazing, the Silman planning method is truly amazing. I thought Yasser Seirawan was the best chess author but now I might be favoring Silman. The great thing about this book is that it's so damn easy to read!!! I finished 1/2 the book in one sitting, I didnt have to set up a bunc ...[text shortened]... ss books demand. Guys pick up a copy of How to Reassess Your Chess, you wont be disappointed.
    Half of the book in one sitting? Did you play through the examples?
  6. USA
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 19:03
    Well Jeremy Silman did co-author a lot of Seirawans books. As for the Reasses your chess.... I looked at it once, and probably won't look at it again until I'm rated 1600. On Amazon.com, it did recieve some criticism pertaining to some incorrect analysis etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890085006/sr=8-1/qid=1154372550/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6121627-8104926?ie=UTF8

See the first review.
  7. USA
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 19:12
    Hey HomerJSimpson, have you by any chance read the amateur's mind by Silman?

It is supposedly an easier version of reassess your chess. Is it any good?
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jul '06 21:33
    Originally posted by chesskid001

Yes it is an easier version then Reasses and I never read it but looked at it briefly at our club. Hear great things about it also.
  9. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 04:24

I havent gotten to it yet, I do own the book however. I believe it's recommend that you read How to Reassess Your Chess first and than read the Amateurs mind, because How to Reassess Your Chess tells one how you should play and the Amateurs Mind shows one how you should not play. I also got the Reassess Your Chess Work book and Im going to work on those as soon as I get some time as Im roped at school.
  10. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 06:171 edit
    They're both very good, but The Amateur's Mind is very good on things like isolani, backward and passed pawns and what conditions need to apply before certain rules come into play (for example the pawn-pointing technique, which he reveals to be conditional by showing a novice player using it in an open game to his own detriment).

One of Silman's best characteristics is that he's a good writer as well as a good player - he's very funny in places, his frustration at some of his students is almost cruel at times, but at other times he takes a kind of paternal pride in their successes, notably in a game where one of his proteges has three isolated pawns on one file but manages to turn them to his advantage.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 16:14
    I havent gotten to it yet, I do own the book however. I believe it's recommend that you read How to Reassess Your Chess first and than read the Amateurs mind, because How to Reassess Your Chess tells one how you should play and the Amateurs Mind shows one how you should not play. I also got the Reassess Your Chess Work book and Im going to work on those as soon as I get some time as Im roped at school.
    It's the other way, you are suppose to read several pages from Reasses, first 20? and then read the whole amateur book and then finish the reasses one.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 16:59
    Apparently Rahim and Homer didn't read my previous post, otherwise they wouldn't be in such a fog. πŸ˜‰
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 21:52
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Apparently Rahim and Homer didn't read my previous post, otherwise they wouldn't be in such a fog. πŸ˜‰
    I did read it but I forgot about your posting.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 22:38
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Ahh you can't say that, it's a classic 'chicken and the egg' situation. I didn't understand chess books until i started reading them! I haven't read this book, but I understand how difficult chess literature can be to read. I am very picky about what i read now, there is so much crap out there it's unbelievable!! I've heard so much about this book in this forum recently though, i might have to pick up a copy. πŸ™‚
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 02:10
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Ahh you can't say that, it's a classic 'chicken and the egg' situation. I didn't understand chess books until i started reading them! I haven't read this book, but I understand how difficult chess literature can be to read. I am very picky about what i read now, there is so much crap out there it's unbelievable!! I've heard so much about this book in this forum recently though, i might have to pick up a copy. πŸ™‚
    I've read over 30 chess book and watched tons of dvd's in 2 years and that book I am telling you is meant for players at least 1600 but my honest opinion is that is should be for players 1700 and up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree