How would you define chess??

How would you define chess??

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

Moves
29 Mar 09

Chess is my life

M

Moves
01 Apr 09

chess is indeed art

much of this art is the very rules that define the game -- such incredibly simple rules that define such insanely complex, yet beautiful games

the varying values of the pieces - the various moves of the pieces - the way the pieces all seem to mesh perfectly with each other to create combinations or defenses.

but for this art to reach it's true potential, you need to have players who have fully mastered the game - whose games lead to wonderfully intricate positions - all of them full of competitive tension, with each side trying to create an inequality in their favor and the other side seeking to restore equilibrium or tip the scales the other way -- creating turbulence that is much like the patterns that form in a kaleidoscope

one reason why one should always be trying to improve their game is that it allows them to participate in ever more beautiful games. It is fun to win - but it's especially fun to win beautifully

as they say in Brazil regarding soccer -- Jugo Bonito!!

MR

Moves
01 Apr 09

I sort of like Bobby Fischer's definition from his 17th radio broadcast from the Philippines. Kind of demented, but it showed originality. 😵

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
02 Apr 09

Life in 64 squares. Clean. Just. Complete.

CCC Club Leader

Denver, CO

Moves
02 Apr 09

Pitted against a friend or foe, dueling minds, battling for superior time, space, and control of the board.

In short, Chess is enjoyably a complete waste of time.