I am new

I am new

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
01 Aug 06

I am quite new to chess. I have not really played it before. And becuase of that I am pretty bad at it. So do you know any where I could get taught how to play or some books or any advice or help?

Thanks!

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
01 Aug 06

http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/

j

Moves
01 Aug 06

hey...
maybe you could keep playing here but "unrate" any new game you play.. so you'll learn from experiencing games with others and still enjoy..

another tip.. if you play a new game.. NAME it.. as "beginner.. or new to chess.. etc.." this way.. ppl would know and maybe someone who be looking for you.. 😉

i myself.. am a beginner and learned alot from playing here.. all the best!

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by jellyfish
hey...
maybe you could keep playing here but "unrate" any new game you play.. so you'll learn from experiencing games with others and still enjoy..

another tip.. if you play a new game.. NAME it.. as "beginner.. or new to chess.. etc.." this way.. ppl would know and maybe someone who be looking for you.. 😉

i myself.. am a beginner and learned alot from playing here.. all the best!
how much can u learn in 6 games?

j

Moves
01 Aug 06

you'll see how much i learned.. just in the next 6 games.. ony..

W
Angler

River City

Moves
01 Aug 06

We're all beginners here, although some of us have been beginners for a long time.

Play through classic games--those played by Morphy, Anderssen, La Bourdonnais, Steinitz, Staunton, Lasker. You'll get a feel for coordination of the pieces, control of the center, mobility, and other strategic themes. You'll also pick up some tactical ideas.

dsR

Big D

Moves
01 Aug 06
1 edit

Do a search for "chess" on amazon.com or ebay.com. Or go to your public library and see if they have any books on chess.

s

Argentina

Moves
01 Aug 06

I think the best book for a beginner is "LOGICAL CHESS, MOVE BY MOVE" by IRVING CHERNEV. I read it twice and helped a lot. It is a must for a beginner.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
01 Aug 06

Beware of studying the opening, though. That stuff is really meant for expert players. There is no opening that is winning every time, so don't worry about it. Just move your pieces, coordinate attacks, and you'll do fine. If you must study, study tactics--specific tricks of the trade like pins and forks--and endgames--I think you'll understand why it's important to know when a checkmate or a promoted pawn is in your future.

Best of luck,

thesonofsaul

j

Moves
01 Aug 06

I would recommend "Chess for Juniors" by Robert M. Snyder as a first book.

c

USA

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by james47
I would recommend "Chess for Juniors" by Robert M. Snyder as a first book.
In addition to that, I would also recommend Play Winning Chess by Yasser Seirawan

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by chesskid001
In addition to that, I would also recommend Play Winning Chess by Yasser Seirawan
i've seen this Yasser Seirawan guy mentioned a lot here on RHP.

Are his books worth getting? What should I get?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 Aug 06

www.farehamchess.org.uk

j

Moves
01 Aug 06

so as you see from the posts..

"we do learn here".. and not only 6 games do teach a lesson.. ONE game just teaches alot especially if you try and understand each move your opponent is making.. watch.. and learn...

c

USA

Moves
01 Aug 06
2 edits

Originally posted by onyx2006
i've seen this Yasser Seirawan guy mentioned a lot here on RHP.

Are his books worth getting? What should I get?
Well based on rating, you seem to be on the upper limit for the audience for Yasser Seirawan's books. They are generally meant for those under 1600. However, if you know you have a weakness (endgame, strategy, etc.) then you maywant to get the induvidual Seirawan book for it. On the whole however, you are probably to advanced for it.

Just for your information, I believe his books are

Play Winning Chess
Winning Chess Strategies
Winning Chess Tactics
Winning Chess Endings
Winning Chess Brilliancies
Winning Chess Openings
Winning Chess Combinations