1. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 15:55
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Since it wasn't a proper game I don't see how this counts.
    Proper game???
  2. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 15:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 16:16
    Originally posted by Superman
    Proper game???
    It was a set up game, from a different position.
  4. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 16:26
    Yes you are rigth, I was wrong.

This game doesnt count.
  5. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 16:27
    I didn't take the exam, but will try it and let you all know how I faired. I been playing Chessmaster 10 quite a bit. I started playing personalities rated at 1000+ I am presently up to Josh age 7 rated 1365. I beat him three straight so I am moving on to the next victim. Just want to see how far I go before they pin me down. One player Ioan give me the best struggle we were 10-10 4 in 24 games, just couldnt seem to get by him as well as the others. I think his rating of 1347 is lower than what it actually is. I'll try the test sounds interesting even if it may not mean too much but should give you some ideas on your strengths and weaknesses.
  6. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 16:36
    Originally posted by Armagoden
    I didn't take the exam, but will try it and let you all know how I faired. I been playing Chessmaster 10 quite a bit. I started playing personalities rated at 1000+ I am presently up to Josh age 7 rated 1365. I beat him three straight so I am moving on to the next victim. Just want to see how far I go before they pin me down. One player Ioan give me the be ...[text shortened]... n if it may not mean too much but should give you some ideas on your strengths and weaknesses.
    what time control do you play with the personalyties?, I have been doing the same but dont remember where I got stuk.
  7. Joined
    01 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 18:05
    I felt like taking it again for the first time in a couple months, I know I did WAY better.

Checkmate - 1606
    Opening Shots - 1349
    Tactics - 1413
    Mistakes - 1646
    Endings I - 1834
    Endings II - 1801
    Defense - 1374
    Strategy I - 1560
    Strategy II - 1462
    Strategy III - 1582

Kinda cool how it shows how I do good at what I study a lot and do worse at what I don't not study as much.
  8. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 18:48
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Pandolfini is unworthy, too! I was stumped on this problem, so I plugged it into Fritz to see the solution:

[fen]1k6/8/p5p1/6p1/6P1/5P1P/6PK/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

He gives 1.f4! a5 2.fxg5? a4 3.Kg3 a3 4.Kh4 a2 5.g3, with a draw by stalemate. However, White has 2.h4! and he can promote a pawn with check on the g-file. He emerges with a pawn or two ahead, and thus has all the winning chances.
    A study by Berger published in 1891 if I recall correctly. The main line goes 1. f4! Kc7! fxg5, and so on.
  9. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 20:09
    what time control do you play with the personalyties?, I have been doing the same but dont remember where I got stuk.
    I been using the fischer time control with 5 minutes and 20 seconds bonus time. I find that works well and keeps the game moving rather than waiting for ever. Some of the personalities use alot of time up but still manage to give a good game.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 20:16
    Seems that in this game you did:

Game 2867961
    Set-piece...
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 20:17
    I been using the fischer time control with 5 minutes and 20 seconds bonus time. I find that works well and keeps the game moving rather than waiting for ever. Some of the personalities use alot of time up but still manage to give a good game.
    I wouldn't recommend playing personalities - I really feel that you learn a lot more by playing people live.

FICS is the best place for that for free, otherwise ICC/PC.
  12. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:16
    It looks like that set-up gives black a huge advantage anyway
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:20
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    It looks like that set-up gives black a huge advantage anyway
    Yeah, but my sacrifices give it back to white. It was just for fun, and if you don't believe me go look at my three wins against him....

You can find plenty of losses 1400's in my folder...from when I was rated 1400.
  14. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:25
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I wouldn't recommend playing personalities - I really feel that you learn a lot more by playing people live.

FICS is the best place for that for free, otherwise ICC/PC.
    Oh I dont think that matters much. If you really want to be good at chess you have to master the openings. The Openings are so well known that even computers are beating grandmasters these days. I heard the other day a computer I think Blue tooth? found a new move in one of the openings that all the grandmasters have over looked for years.
    Chess is becoming a game of memory, he who knowith the openings moves better to win. We need to go to random 960 chess by Bobby Fischer and that will toss out the memory lines. Chessmaster is good only because it does have a good booked up brain full of correct chess moves, but get him in the middle game and your chances get better.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:27
    Oh I dont think that matters much. If you really want to be good at chess you have to master the openings. The Openings are so well known that even computers are beating grandmasters these days. I heard the other day a computer I think Blue tooth? found a new move in one of the openings that all the grandmasters have over looked for years.
    Chess is beco ...[text shortened]... p brain full of correct chess moves, but get him in the middle game and your chances get better.
    You don't need to know openings very well to win.

Playing humans will help you more than playing engines.

Not opinions. ^

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree