1. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:44
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    You don't need to know openings very well to win.

Playing humans will help you more than playing engines.

Not opinions. ^
    Well I dont bother memorizing openings and do quite well against both human and machines rated within my class and even give experts a run for their money, but still you must master the openings and even end game play to be really good at chess. Anyone can win, but can you win say 60 to 70 per cent of the time? Not against heavy hitters you wont, in that I mean anyone who knows more than you on opening play stands a better chance at beating the player who lacks such knowledge. And my point is still Chess has become a game of memory, memorizing the openings especially.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:57
    for CMX 10, I beat Josh age 9 (1800) frequrntly (W-L-D) 5-1-3 but loses to Marius(1110) 0-8-0 Thorian (1183) 0-6-0 and Odin(1230) 0-10-0, I never beat them before, not even a draw.
  3. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:10
    Originally posted by Von Bardeleben
    for CMX 10, I beat Josh age 9 (1800) frequrntly (W-L-D) 5-1-3 but loses to Marius(1110) 0-8-0 Thorian (1183) 0-6-0 and Odin(1230) 0-10-0, I never beat them before, not even a draw.
    Thats weird, because those low ranked players usually end up making the worst blunders ever.
  4. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 22:19
    Yes thats strange what time control did you use?
    I beat Thorian 6-4-1 in 11 games, Marius 5-5-0 in 10 games and Orin 2-2-2 in 6 games. My time control was fischer 5 mins and 20 seconds bonus per move. Its fun being an amatuer and playing half witted personalities and below average wanna bee humans. Makes me feel so good I think I'll declare myself World Chess Champion of Pluto!!!!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 02:141 edit
    Originally posted by Armagoden
    Yes thats strange what time control did you use?
    I beat Thorian 6-4-1 in 11 games, Marius 5-5-0 in 10 games and Orin 2-2-2 in 6 games. My time control was fischer 5 mins and 20 seconds bonus per move. Its fun being an amatuer and playing half witted personalities and below average wanna bee humans. Makes me feel so good I think I'll declare myself World Chess Champion of Pluto!!!!
    for some reason these players don't make any blunders, they lack positional quality but they don't make errors!!!
    btw, time control 10/0
  6. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 02:20
    I lost to the little girl rated like 52 or something. :/
  7. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 04:16
    for some reason these players don't make any blunders, they lack positional quality but they don't make errors!!!
    btw, time control 10/0
    Yes I think the problem is the time control, I have realized that the more time you give this personalityes the better they play, if you play 5 mins with them they will easyly blunder but as yo put the rating up with 5 mins they will not.

With times of 10 mins and ahead they will put up a real figth.

I always play 10 and more.
  8. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 04:53
    Originally posted by Superman
    Yes I think the problem is the time control, I have realized that the more time you give this personalityes the better they play, if you play 5 mins with them they will easyly blunder but as yo put the rating up with 5 mins they will not.

With times of 10 mins and ahead they will put up a real figth.

I always play 10 and more.
    If you watch the computer think in unrated games, it usually finds a good line within 10 seconds.

I play 5 moves per 10 minutes and I have the feeling the computer just makes you sit there to mimic real play.
  9. Joined
    01 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 11:02
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    If you watch the computer think in unrated games, it usually finds a good line within 10 seconds.

I play 5 moves per 10 minutes and I have the feeling the computer just makes you sit there to mimic real play.
    What's wrong with that? More time for you to study the position.
  10. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 11:28
    Originally posted by krim
    What's wrong with that? More time for you to study the position.
    There's nothing wrong with it in complicated positions... but when you are in a winning position the computer won't resign but still takes a long time moving... I'm talking like you are up 3 pawns and a rook and he has 2 pawns only. The only time it starts speed moving is when it has nothing left. Its also annoying because the computer uses some kind of time managment routinge, so say it has 30 minutes on the clock and in 4 moves it will get 10 more minutes, then it will take 12 minutes or so to make an obvious capture move or something stupid. Its a computer game I'm playing at home and its forcing me to wait 10 minutes to make a move. It gets old.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree