I drew Greenpawn!!

I drew Greenpawn!!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

benching

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
I tried to draw greenpawn once, but he dosn't sit still long enough.😞
Were you trying to draw blood or draw a picture of him? Here is a pic of greenpawn http://www.yourprops.com/norm-43fa2516514ce-Frankenstein+(1931).jpeg

s

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by diskamyl
do you mean that? I can see white has a slight advantage due to the weak pawn, but I failed to come up with a plan. the one I was thinking was play g3, Rd2 to solidify the kingside pawns, and try to move the king all the way up to e6 somehow.

but black won't simply stop and watch, and get his king around the weakness much faster, and I know that the abo ...[text shortened]... any plan to realize the "advantage" that could be put in words for white here, please do so.
Yeah, Karpov would win it.

The most promising plan I can come up with consists of playing f3 and g4 (to seize some space) followed by Rh5 to pin black somewhat down to the h7-pawn. It all depends on what defensive formation black will choose, he might keep his king around on g7 and defend e6 with his rook, or place the rook on g7 and move his king up to d6. Maybe the queenside pawns can be fixed in a favourable way.

It's a typical cat and mouse endgame, and Karpov was a master at those. Just poke black here and there, he'll make a mistake somewhere or he will lose his patience and you win.

d

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by schakuhr
Yeah, Karpov would win it.

The most promising plan I can come up with consists of playing f3 and g4 (to seize some space) followed by Rh5 to pin black somewhat down to the h7-pawn. It all depends on what defensive formation black will choose, he might keep his king around on g7 and defend e6 with his rook, or place the rook on g7 and move his king up to ...[text shortened]... black here and there, he'll make a mistake somewhere or he will lose his patience and you win.
thanks, that looks like a much better plan than mine of course 🙂

endgames are intimidating.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by diskamyl
thanks, that looks like a much better plan than mine of course 🙂

endgames are intimidating.
My friend who got to 1800+ on here with ZERO endgame knowledge swears by Silman's new endgame book.

Since he read it, the fecker is playing the middlegame totally differently, now when he knows he has a winning advantage (be it a better pawn structure, or whatever), he just starts exchanging down.

Given his improvement, I'd recommend it.

D

t

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by Ragnorak
My friend who got to 1800+ on here with ZERO endgame knowledge swears by Silman's new endgame book.

Since he read it, the fecker is playing the middlegame totally differently, now when he knows he has a winning advantage (be it a better pawn structure, or whatever), he just starts exchanging down.

D
No matter how much endgame knowledge I attain I will never just exchange down, I will continue to have a fiery personality over the chess board.... What I will do though is make moves that keep that winning endgame a possibility still so that if my opponent rides out the storm I can always go into that ending but at least the game will have been exciting.

e4

Moves
17 Sep 08

"Before the ending the God's have placed the middle game." - Tarrasch.

FL

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by greenpawn34
"Before the ending the God's have placed the middle game." - Tarrasch.
Watch out for the old greengrocer's apostrophe Greenpawn.

d

Moves
17 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
actually, I've got Silman's Complete Endgame course, and I cannot wait to begin studying it, but first I promised myself to finish "my system" first, I only made it to chapter two after probably 6-7 hours of work, including studying the illustrative games related to the subject, and completing the book with such work put into it seems it will last forever.

I'm really frustrated right now. I really do like studying endgames (although I haven't much, actually), I like the concept, I simply love the Karpovian defensive-positional style which is almost totally based on getting into slightly better endgames, that is the style I want to have, but I'm completely lacking the single most important aspect of that style. but to begin, I have to wait and finish that tiresome my system book first. maybe after 2-3 months I will, and when I complete silman's course with extra study of drilling endgame puzzles, say maybe 1-2 years later, I believe I'll break 1900. then some real endgame work will begin 🙂 (with dvoretsky or averbakh).

e4

Moves
17 Sep 08

Recap:
I agree to play a friendly against someone.
Why not, I'm a nice chap.

The game is drawn.
It is then hailed as the greatest result in said player's career.

My endgame play is called into question.

I am accused of looking like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein creation.

And Fat Lady then brings me to task fror me grammar.

mumble...grumble...

FL

Moves
17 Sep 08

I am accused of looking like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein creation.
As usual, Jie's comment about your looks was cruel, unnecessary and, most importantly, inaccurate. This is a little closer to the mark:
http://tinyurl.com/5tl9rv/Chandlerenstein.jpg

e4

Moves
17 Sep 08

Actually i did mind the Jie joke - But how did you get that picture?

It's not fair, I had been up all night playing blitz and drinking in Bells.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
18 Sep 08
1 edit

Recap:
I agree to play a friendly against someone.
Why not, I'm a nice chap.

The game is drawn.
It is then hailed as the greatest result in said player's career.
That's right. I'm already drafting it into my headstone. so far I have:

RIP
sh76
1976-2086
Beloved Husband, Father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather
Won the Nobel Prize in Economics, 2019
President of the United States, 2028-2036
Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, 2042-2068
Played Greenpawn34 to a CC draw in 2008!

FL

Moves
18 Sep 08

There is no Nobel Prize for mathematics. The nearest equivalent, the Fields Medal, is limited to people aged forty and under. You're going to have to either work quicker or change subject.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
18 Sep 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
There is no Nobel Prize for mathematics. The nearest equivalent, the Fields Medal, is limited to people aged forty and under. You're going to have to either work quicker or change subject.
Thank you. It has been duly changed. 🙂