1. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:34
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Why do people on here and on GK play like 30 moves in one day, some of them really intense games and then when the position is difficult or lost they don't move. You can even see some of them online and they still log off rather than play. Some of them aren't even in a bad position just don't move.

Oh well. I guess when I subscribe I'll be able to have more games and the wait won't seem as long.
    I guess we expect to much from some people. 😲
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:38
    User 277250

correspondence chess...not blitz..don't play agame in one sitting...like User 33598 who plays correspondence.

Of course, I made too many moves today, whopping 30, ever since subscribing I have moved more and I only have 8-10 games going.
  3. Joined
    05 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 08:33
    they should be mentally retyred.
  4. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 15:27
    Originally posted by Anthony Paton
    they should be mentally retyred.
    How about a mental retread?
  5. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 18:18
    Originally posted by eQuakesfan
    I've experienced the same thing. Some players move multiple times per day then once the position is losing or hopeless they move barely within the time allowed and do not resign (and continue to move in other games).
    My question is it tactical to keep one's rating high. If a player wins about 1/2 the games they start, they start on average two game ...[text shortened]... (not that I am suggesting employing this tactic)? Why keep one's rating artificially high?
    Not in the long run; those losses would affect the rating more (take a look at the formula) so if you're about 1500 and you stall out your losses to get to 1600, they'll all just bite you in the ass later when each loss costs 20 points instead of 16.
  6. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 18:21
    Why do people on here and on GK play like 30 moves in one day, some of them really intense games and then when the position is difficult or lost they don't move. You can even see some of them online and they still log off rather than play. Some of them aren't even in a bad position just don't move.

Oh well. I guess when I subscribe I'll be able to have more games and the wait won't seem as long.
    Opening books and databases make it easy to play openings; after that the game requires much more thought. Maybe you should try it sometime; chess is much more fun to win than to just play.
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 22:43
    Originally posted by Ramiri15
    Not in the long run; those losses would affect the rating more (take a look at the formula) so if you're about 1500 and you stall out your losses to get to 1600, they'll all just bite you in the ass later when each loss costs 20 points instead of 16.
    Thanks for the explanation. I forgot that loses affect your rating the higher your rating.
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 15:35
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    Because when someone is in a hard position they'd rather think about the move for a while rather than rush it and blow their game. Why not take full advantage of the time?
    I personally prefer to take more time to start with to avoid having to save a hard position.
  9. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 22:40

Some people don't have the time to check all of their games at once. Sometimes I have over 100 games to check and half an hour before my next class.
  10. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 22:501 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 23:05
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Don't worry, they can't read.
  12. Frostbyte Falls
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 23:15
    Because their running scared.
  13. Yorkshire
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 00:56
    **and then when the position is difficult or lost they don't move.**

Yep, and I'm playing one person like this now! There game was lost ages ago and they should have resigned but instead chose to drag out the game by moving slowly! Obviously they get some sort of satisfaction by making it as long a wait as possible for you to win the game!
  14. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 14:51
    I've been steadily finishing off my old games while starting very few new ones.
    The fact that my rating is now at it's highest ever surely indicates that people dragging out their lost games against me was hindering my rating.😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree