1. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 16:11
    Why do people on here and on GK play like 30 moves in one day, some of them really intense games and then when the position is difficult or lost they don't move. You can even see some of them online and they still log off rather than play. Some of them aren't even in a bad position just don't move.

Oh well. I guess when I subscribe I'll be able to have more games and the wait won't seem as long.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 16:17
    Oh well. I guess when I subscribe I'll be able to have more games and the wait won't seem as long.[/b]
    u r right ... its the best thing we can do ...
  3. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 16:49
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Why do people on here and on GK play like 30 moves in one day, some of them really intense games and then when the position is difficult or lost they don't move. You can even see some of them online and they still log off rather than play. Some of them aren't even in a bad position just don't move.

Oh well. I guess when I subscribe I'll be able to have more games and the wait won't seem as long.
    Because when someone is in a hard position they'd rather think about the move for a while rather than rush it and blow their game. Why not take full advantage of the time?
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 17:03

Maybe they're just mentally tired.
  5. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 17:26
    This is correspondence chess, right? Just checking.
  6. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 18:06
    Or maybe they have better things to do on a weekend than just sit around and click refresh. :/
  7. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 18:11
    Maybe they just hung their queen on c2 in another game and are sulking.
  8. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 18:16
    People have different schedules. If my opponent is online the same time as me sure we can pound through some moves. Some positions take real thought though. Thats what the move time and timebank are for. Maybe you should consider getting an accout on ICC and playing longer time control games. No books or DB's in those however.
  9. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 18:17
    Could be. I wouldn't worry to much about it. I spent a day or so without making any "take my piece for free" moves and was feeling good about that then blundered my queen away. It turned out ok because he blundered his away like a move or two later.
  10. back in business
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 18:17
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Maybe they're just mentally tired.
    ...or mentally retired.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 19:27

LOL...We are human, we will always find something to complain about.😀😛😀
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 13:42

My opening book is thirty moves deep, then I must start thinking.
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:13

I've experienced the same thing. Some players move multiple times per day then once the position is losing or hopeless they move barely within the time allowed and do not resign (and continue to move in other games).
    My question is it tactical to keep one's rating high. If a player wins about 1/2 the games they start, they start on average two games a day and it takes on average 21 days to complete every loss but only 7 days to complete every win. After 21 days they will have on average 14 wins and only one loss (and 13 games with losing positions). After 42 days Wouldn't the player have about 35 wins and 22 losses. The player would always have about 13 more wins than losses and always have a slightly elevated ranking. Would this work to keep one's rating high (not that I am suggesting employing this tactic)? Why keep one's rating artificially high?
  14. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:20
    I don't know for sure if they are doing something like that. I don't want my rating to be artificially inflated or lowered. Or in other words I hope it shows how strong or weak of a player I am and nothing more. Just a guideline to figure out if I'm improving or whatnot.
  15. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:26
    Maybe we could get stats on the average length of games and if someone is artifically lengthening lost games to keep their rating up then they can be warned or something.

I have a number of completely won games, including one where I'm up two whole queens and a bishop against someone who should know better. Then again it is a 1 day forfeit, maybe they're hoping against hope.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree