1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 May '07 08:291 edit
    Originally posted by Pavlo87
    Game 3553648
    Whites 2nd move 2. Qf3 is a patzer move and against a decent player would be punished.

If your oppoent ever tries that on you just play solidly and you will beat him.

You have a number of immediate options but Nf6 is probably the safest. Follow it up with Bc5 and 0-0 and you will be perfectly solid.

In the early stages of the game it is essential to look out for threats on f2 / f6. Such threats are standard in many perfectly respectable openings such as the Kings Gambit. Watch out and ensure you protect against them.

Just try looking a couple of moves ahead and you will avoid most elementary traps. 10-15 moves ahead is impossible to achieve except in a completely forcing line - don't even think about it.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '07 12:20
    Originally posted by zebano
    What??? 10-15?? More to the point you need to see potential attacks and then look to see if any of his pieces can join the attack to either 1. make it unstoppable or 2. a double attack. Frankly most of what I look for is a constant evaluation of my weaknesses and then I look to see if my opponent can exploit them.

Then again, I did let you pin my knight t ...[text shortened]... , but 10-15 moves is far more than you need to look ahead in order to play a good game of chess.
    I misposted that now that I look at it again.. I meant 10-15 ply which I think is plenty to play a good defensive game at our level.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 12:22
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I doubt that I could properly calculate 10-15 moves into an OTB game without going into time trouble (unless my opponent's in a mating net or something, then sure, why not?)

In a cc game I suppose I could write it all down on paper...but...

I say go buy Play Winning Chess and Winning Chess Tactics by Yasser Seirawan.
    Many high level Corr games are close to 30-moves ahead

--analysis boards (and perhaps engines) allow you to study at much much greater depth.
  4. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:24
    I'm undecided about buying chess instruction stuff, though it might not hurt.
  5. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:32
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Umm, don't you read the previous posts before you add a new post?
    Game 3553648

I not only read the posts, I looked up the game, I am quite sure this is a Scholar's Mate Mr. Smart Ass. Have anything else I need to straighten you out on? 😠
  6. Under Cover
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:36
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    [b]Game 3553648

I not only read the posts, I looked up the game, I am quite sure this is a Scholar's Mate Mr. Smart Ass. Have anything else I need to straighten you out on? 😠[/b]
    I think he was trying to point out to you (maybe a little rudely) that he posted the same article link that you did, 3 posts above yours.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:39
    [b]Game 3553648

I not only read the posts, I looked up the game, I am quite sure this is a Scholar's Mate Mr. Smart Ass. Have anything else I need to straighten you out on? 😠[/b]
    I'll ignore the ad homenim attack, but before your first post, I had already mentioned to Daphnes that it was a scholar's mate, and I gave the Wikipedia link. So your post was completely redundant and unnecessary.

So who needs straightening out?
  8. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:471 edit

So who needs straightening out?
    Your mom
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:48
    Originally posted by BLReid
    I think he was trying to point out to you (maybe a little rudely) that he posted the same article link that you did, 3 posts above yours.
    Yeah, maybe my post was a little abrupt and lacking a little in compassion. It just irks me a little when I see people making posts and not ever bothering to read the previous posts. I probably should have counted to 10 first, lol.
  10. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:49
    I probably should have counted to 10 first, lol.
    I doubt you're able to. 😕
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:50
    Your mom
    Thst's ice cold, man. And very original, too. Can you say anything that isn't a moronic personal attack?
  12. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:53
    😞 When i get home I better not find another "I Challenge" thread
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:54
    To Ice Cold, I recognize that my original reply to you was abrupt and probably could have been worded in a softer manner, and I apologize for that posting. Do you accept my apology?
  14. Joined
    14 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:55
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    I'm undecided about buying chess instruction stuff, though it might not hurt.
    The tuition in Chessmaster 10 is excellent.

There are some nice videos here demonstrating such things as as scholar's mate, smothered mate and other basic tactics here:

http://www.chessdryad.com/education/magictheater/index.htm
  15. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:551 edit
    Be nice guys. MR, his username is Ice Cold and you called him ice cold. That's funny.

This thread can probably be locked anyway. Thanks guys.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree