Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Daphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    14 May '07 01:27
    I accepted Baagi's invite to play, and he went for my throat to beat me in less than two minutes. This irked me, since I lost so quickly, and in such a way that I didn't learn anything.

    Does this annoy anyone else? I sent him a message about it, but he didn't reply. So now I'm sulking at my chair, trying to find something to do because my game got blown before I even got to implement a strategy.
  2. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    14 May '07 01:31
    Actually, there is something you can learn from that game. Don't let your opponent checkmate you without a fight.
  3. 14 May '07 01:33
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    I accepted Baagi's invite to play, and he went for my throat to beat me in less than two minutes. This irked me, since I lost so quickly, and in such a way that I didn't learn anything.

    Does this annoy anyone else? I sent him a message about it, but he didn't reply. So now I'm sulking at my chair, trying to find something to do because my game got blown before I even got to implement a strategy.
    Well number one, It's just a game
    Number two. Review the game and learn from it.
    You'll loose more than win until you get better. Just focus on getting better.
  4. Standard member Daphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    14 May '07 01:33
    RCsejka is playing offensively as well, which is the invite I accepted a minute ago.

    It's not really the first time I've ever played someone like that. It's just the thing that annoys me the most about Chess. Now I have to study how Baagii did that, in order to form countermeasures if I ever play someone else like that.
  5. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    14 May '07 01:35
    You absolutely HAVE to be able to see 3 or 4 moves away just to keep yourself decently safe. Often it's closer to 10 or 15 if you want to be a decent tactician. Mate in one and two need to be avoided whenever possible. That's a good start if you want to get any better.
  6. Standard member Daphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    14 May '07 01:39
    I think I'm getting better at studying the board, though I've still lost half of my games. I just don't start studying until a certain point. It's a lot easier to tell what the opponent is up to, several moves into the game.

    I'll keep working on it.
  7. 14 May '07 01:40
    Baagi used a variation of the scholar's mate on you. You can learn from this game by reading up on the scholar's mate and trying to not have it happen to you again. Don't feel bad, lots of beginners fall for this mate.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar%27s_mate

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Opening
  8. 14 May '07 01:55
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    RCsejka is playing offensively as well, which is the invite I accepted a minute ago.

    It's not really the first time I've ever played someone like that. It's just the thing that annoys me the most about Chess. Now I have to study how Baagii did that, in order to form countermeasures if I ever play someone else like that.
    Look, if you don't know how to defend against THAT, then you should definitely figure it out soon. It won't take much studying, either.
  9. 14 May '07 02:21
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    I think I'm getting better at studying the board, though I've still lost half of my games. I just don't start studying until a certain point. It's a lot easier to tell what the opponent is up to, several moves into the game.

    I'll keep working on it.
    I would suggest that you buy a copy of Chessmaster 10 for 20 bucks. There is an excellent academy with numerous lessons that will help. After going through the lessons you will see another side of the game and trick openings will be a thing of the past to you.
  10. 14 May '07 02:23
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar's_mate
  11. 14 May '07 02:36
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar's_mate
    Umm, don't you read the previous posts before you add a new post?
  12. 14 May '07 03:50
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    You absolutely HAVE to be able to see 3 or 4 moves away just to keep yourself decently safe. Often it's closer to 10 or 15 if you want to be a decent tactician. Mate in one and two need to be avoided whenever possible. That's a good start if you want to get any better.
    What??? 10-15?? More to the point you need to see potential attacks and then look to see if any of his pieces can join the attack to either 1. make it unstoppable or 2. a double attack. Frankly most of what I look for is a constant evaluation of my weaknesses and then I look to see if my opponent can exploit them.

    Then again, I did let you pin my knight to my queen in our game, so perhaps you do have to be more through than that, but 10-15 moves is far more than you need to look ahead in order to play a good game of chess.
  13. 14 May '07 04:07 / 7 edits
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    RCsejka is playing offensively as well, which is the invite I accepted a minute ago.

    It's not really the first time I've ever played someone like that. It's just the thing that annoys me the most about Chess. Now I have to study how Baagii did that, in order to form countermeasures if I ever play someone else like that.
    Game 3553648

    I will save you some time/trouble and just tell you what the counter measure (as black) would be, to that.

    ====================================
    White 3. Bishop c4
    Black 3. Queen f6
    White 4. Queen takes Queen (?)
    Black 4. Knight f6
    ====================================

    or (i prefer this set of moves)

    White 3. Bishop c4
    Black 3. Knight f6 (blocking his attack)

    Then later if you want you can do a black knight to d4 to chase away
    his queen if it bothers you that it is there. Also threatening with your Black Knight taking c2; forking his king and rook.
    ====================================

    Good luck on improving and stuff. Best wishes. Hope this helps!
    Let me know if you have any more questions about some of your finished games. Maybe i can tell you where you went wrong in some.

    -- Paul (Pavlo87)

    p.s.
    I think almost all of us have fallen for that move at one time or another,
    so don't feel bad. Just keep practicing and don't give up and someday
    you will probably be doing that to your opponents as well one day.
  14. 14 May '07 04:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    You absolutely HAVE to be able to see 3 or 4 moves away just to keep yourself decently safe. Often it's closer to 10 or 15 if you want to be a decent tactician. Mate in one and two need to be avoided whenever possible. That's a good start if you want to get any better.
    Nobody sees 10 or 15 moves into the game.


    ( with the exception of GM's and other freaks}
  15. 14 May '07 05:29
    I doubt that I could properly calculate 10-15 moves into an OTB game without going into time trouble (unless my opponent's in a mating net or something, then sure, why not?)

    In a cc game I suppose I could write it all down on paper...but...

    I say go buy Play Winning Chess and Winning Chess Tactics by Yasser Seirawan.