1. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:27
    I accepted Baagi's invite to play, and he went for my throat to beat me in less than two minutes. This irked me, since I lost so quickly, and in such a way that I didn't learn anything.

Does this annoy anyone else? I sent him a message about it, but he didn't reply. So now I'm sulking at my chair, trying to find something to do because my game got blown before I even got to implement a strategy.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:31
    Actually, there is something you can learn from that game. Don't let your opponent checkmate you without a fight.
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:33
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    I accepted Baagi's invite to play, and he went for my throat to beat me in less than two minutes. This irked me, since I lost so quickly, and in such a way that I didn't learn anything.

Does this annoy anyone else? I sent him a message about it, but he didn't reply. So now I'm sulking at my chair, trying to find something to do because my game got blown before I even got to implement a strategy.
    Well number one, It's just a game
    Number two. Review the game and learn from it.
    You'll loose more than win until you get better. Just focus on getting better.
  4. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:33
    RCsejka is playing offensively as well, which is the invite I accepted a minute ago.

It's not really the first time I've ever played someone like that. It's just the thing that annoys me the most about Chess. Now I have to study how Baagii did that, in order to form countermeasures if I ever play someone else like that.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:35
    You absolutely HAVE to be able to see 3 or 4 moves away just to keep yourself decently safe. Often it's closer to 10 or 15 if you want to be a decent tactician. Mate in one and two need to be avoided whenever possible. That's a good start if you want to get any better.
  6. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:39
    I think I'm getting better at studying the board, though I've still lost half of my games. I just don't start studying until a certain point. It's a lot easier to tell what the opponent is up to, several moves into the game.

I'll keep working on it.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:40
    Baagi used a variation of the scholar's mate on you. You can learn from this game by reading up on the scholar's mate and trying to not have it happen to you again. Don't feel bad, lots of beginners fall for this mate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar%27s_mate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Opening
  8. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    14 May '07 01:55
    RCsejka is playing offensively as well, which is the invite I accepted a minute ago.

It's not really the first time I've ever played someone like that. It's just the thing that annoys me the most about Chess. Now I have to study how Baagii did that, in order to form countermeasures if I ever play someone else like that.
    Look, if you don't know how to defend against THAT, then you should definitely figure it out soon. It won't take much studying, either.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 May '07 02:21
    I think I'm getting better at studying the board, though I've still lost half of my games. I just don't start studying until a certain point. It's a lot easier to tell what the opponent is up to, several moves into the game.

I'll keep working on it.
    I would suggest that you buy a copy of Chessmaster 10 for 20 bucks. There is an excellent academy with numerous lessons that will help. After going through the lessons you will see another side of the game and trick openings will be a thing of the past to you.
  10. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 02:23
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar's_mate
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 02:36
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar's_mate
    Umm, don't you read the previous posts before you add a new post?
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 May '07 03:50
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    You absolutely HAVE to be able to see 3 or 4 moves away just to keep yourself decently safe. Often it's closer to 10 or 15 if you want to be a decent tactician. Mate in one and two need to be avoided whenever possible. That's a good start if you want to get any better.
    What??? 10-15?? More to the point you need to see potential attacks and then look to see if any of his pieces can join the attack to either 1. make it unstoppable or 2. a double attack. Frankly most of what I look for is a constant evaluation of my weaknesses and then I look to see if my opponent can exploit them.

Then again, I did let you pin my knight to my queen in our game, so perhaps you do have to be more through than that, but 10-15 moves is far more than you need to look ahead in order to play a good game of chess.
  13. U.S.A.
    Moves
    14 May '07 04:077 edits

Game 3553648

I will save you some time/trouble and just tell you what the counter measure (as black) would be, to that.

====================================
    White 3. Bishop c4
    Black 3. Queen f6
    White 4. Queen takes Queen (?)
    Black 4. Knight f6

or (i prefer this set of moves)

White 3. Bishop c4
    Black 3. Knight f6 (blocking his attack)

Then later if you want you can do a black knight to d4 to chase away
    his queen if it bothers you that it is there. Also threatening with your Black Knight taking c2; forking his king and rook.

Good luck on improving and stuff. Best wishes. Hope this helps! 🙂
    Let me know if you have any more questions about some of your finished games. Maybe i can tell you where you went wrong in some.

-- Paul (Pavlo87)

p.s.
    I think almost all of us have fallen for that move at one time or another,
    so don't feel bad. Just keep practicing and don't give up and someday
    you will probably be doing that to your opponents as well one day.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '07 04:351 edit
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Nobody sees 10 or 15 moves into the game.

( with the exception of GM's and other freaks}
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 05:29
    I doubt that I could properly calculate 10-15 moves into an OTB game without going into time trouble (unless my opponent's in a mating net or something, then sure, why not?)

In a cc game I suppose I could write it all down on paper...but...

I say go buy Play Winning Chess and Winning Chess Tactics by Yasser Seirawan.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree