Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 31 Aug '10 05:12 / 1 edit
    It's playable for black but it leaves little room for error, and win or lose it always leads to exciting play. My opponent resigned early, although unless I'm missing something he was in a really bad position.

Although conventional wisdom says low level players shouldn't focus too much on openings, IMO all players at my level should learn the main lines to Evan's Gambit - to either learn what to do or to avoid the gambit all together.

In my opinion it's the most fun opening to play. A side discussion, which opening is the most fun for you (regardless of their technical merit)?

2. 31 Aug '10 05:23 / 1 edit
    Question: After 10... Qd7

Is the most accurate play 11. Ng5 or Rd1 ?

Edit: It looks to me like Rd1 forces him to jettison his Queen to avoid mate?
  3. Donation richjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    31 Aug '10 06:03
    Interesting, I don't really know the evan's gambit. Is 5. ... Ba5 black's best option? What is the reply to 6. ... exd4?
  4. 31 Aug '10 06:19 / 1 edit
    self delete
  5. 31 Aug '10 18:35
    Most fun opening for me? Well, I haven't studied the opening for so long, but I use the spanish as white, and I like it. I like the way the moves and ideas start to flow after you've studied for a few months and you've gotten some games under your belt. My main source of study is "The abc of the Ruy Lopez" by Andrew Martin. I suppose the italian/Evan's gambit would be a good way to procede after the spanish.
  6. 01 Sep '10 06:59
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    It's playable for black but it leaves little room for error, and win or lose it always leads to exciting play. My opponent resigned early, although unless I'm missing something he was in a really bad position.

Although conventional wisdom says low level players shouldn't focus too much on openings, IMO all players at my level should learn the m ...[text shortened]... 4 Qd8e7 7. O-O d6 8. dxe5 dxe5 9. Qd1b3 Ng8f6 10. Bc1a3 1-0[/pgn]
    after black plays d6 can't you win a piece on the spot by d5 and q-a5+? Obviously it turned out well for you- but just thought you had a clear win a few moves earlier
  7. 01 Sep '10 08:42
    Originally posted by erikido
    after black plays d6 can't you win a piece on the spot by d5 and q-a5+? Obviously it turned out well for you- but just thought you had a clear win a few moves earlier
    You're right. I should have seen that!
  8. 02 Sep '10 00:03
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    Interesting, I don't really know the evan's gambit. Is 5. ... Ba5 black's best option? What is the reply to 6. ... exd4?
    Yes, 5... Ba5 is best. After 6... exd4 White plays 7.O-O or 7.Qb3.
  9. 02 Sep '10 19:52
    Yeah, the evans is fun, a pity though that the two knights defense (which I always play as black) is either incredibly boring or actually gives black a nice initiative in many lines.
  10. 02 Sep '10 21:39
    can't seem to post this game; 6459494.

Probably my best Evans
  11. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    02 Sep '10 22:06 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    can't seem to post this game; 6459494.

Probably my best Evans
    Allow me! Edit: Wow, an anthology piece!

12. 02 Sep '10 22:27
    Thanks for posting Paul!
  13. 03 Sep '10 15:07
    Nitpick: the man's name was Evans (to be precise: captain William Davies Evans (who, it should not come as a surprise with that name, was Welsh)), not Evan.

Richard
  14. 08 Sep '10 10:02 / 1 edit
    RichJohnson,

check out my game, kindly posted by Paul Leggett. Accepting the pawn on c4 drives blacks bishop away from the centre, allowing d+e pawn progression for white. b-a3 prevents castling. White's pieces develop naturally and dominate the centre. The Evans is a very nice gambit that was a particular favourite of Morphy.

Edit: Sorry, I meant accepting pawn on b4!