1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 12:472 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Rook, perhaps you are correct, infact you are correct, i am sorry that i offended you, really i am, this is no place for this kind of discussion, so if you will step outside we can settle this man to man, na just kidding, but if you want to 😀 , i just cannot believe that even after the man is dead that people still want to humiliate and attack his er it is true or otherwise, i dunno, once again i apologize dear Rook if i have caused offense!
    how could you step back like this? what are you sorry for? if some rightwing nationalist person gets offended whenever someone states the cruelties and horror created by the american and the israeli government, it shows their appreciation and commitment for what has been done. They are the ones who should apologize.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 13:40
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    how could you step back like this? what are you sorry for? if some rightwing nationalist person gets offended whenever someone states the cruelties and horror created by the american and the israeli government, it shows their appreciation and commitment for what has been done. They are the ones who should apologize.
    dude i am sorry that i offended mad rook, i like him, we had some excellent conversations and debates in the past, as for the other stuff, its best not discussed in the chess only forum, really diskamy, don't go there my friend, leave it, that's why we come here, at least me anyway, to forget the horrors of the system in which we live! Mad rook is right, i should not have thrown those political grenades, but it was for the honour of someone who cannot be here to defend himself!
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 14:02
    Rook, perhaps you are correct, infact you are correct, i am sorry that i offended you, really i am, this is no place for this kind of discussion, so if you will step outside we can settle this man to man, na just kidding, but if you want to 😀 , i just cannot believe that even after the man is dead that people still want to humiliate and attack his ...[text shortened]... er it is true or otherwise, i dunno, once again i apologize dear Rook if i have caused offense!
    No apology necessary. Maybe "offended" was a bit strong - more "disappointed", I guess, that you'd allow yourself to be sucked into a political discussion about Bobby in the Only Chess forum. I do find it a bit funny that diskamyl apparently doesn't realize that you were apologizing for helping to inject politics into the thread, and not for your actual political opinions, which you have every right to hold.

Actually, I thought this whole thread was fairly pointless, since I suspect it was started at least partly to attempt to generate controversial responses. It seems that most discussions about Fischer eventually drift into political discussions if allowed to go on long enough.

I do agree with you about the degree that Bobby is still attacked. He's dead, and his past controversial actions are now part of history. While I think it's okay to discuss his personal problems, I think any such discussion should be done in a more dispassionate and objective manner.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 14:26
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    No apology necessary. Maybe "offended" was a bit strong - more "disappointed", I guess, that you'd allow yourself to be sucked into a political discussion about Bobby in the Only Chess forum. I do find it a bit funny that diskamyl apparently doesn't realize that you were apologizing for helping to inject politics into the thread, and not for your actual pol ...[text shortened]... I think any such discussion should be done in a more dispassionate and objective manner.
    actually rook, i was surprised at myself because i am one hundred percent completly a-political, i have never voted in my life, nor will i ever!
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 14:46
    actually rook, i was surprised at myself because i am one hundred percent completly a-political, i have never voted in my life, nor will i ever!
    Are you still an innocent teenager??
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 14:471 edit
    Just remember the following quote by Plato:

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." 😵

(and that's the only political statement I'll make here, hehe.)
  7. e4
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 15:52
    Thought this thread was just going to slip away quietly

But...

Quote; "Robert J. Fischer didn't do so much for the chess world as you
    seem to think he did. "

There must be thousands of players my age who took up the game
    because of him. I remember reading a long list of GM's and IM's who
    started playing in 1972.

I played in a tournament in Dortmund in the Autumn of 72.
    There were 36 players - I won a flask.

One year later the same tournament had over 600 entries
    and the prizes were money - real money.

And the games...
    Fischer has left us 100's of masterpieces to study and enjoy.

If he was so unimportant then why are still talking him 36 years
    after he won the World Title.

And please forget all the trash he mouthed whilst he was unwell.
    If he really had those views he would have expressed them all the time.
    He did not. He became mentally unstable.

Next you will be having a go at Bronstein because he went bald.

You were not around in 1972. You don't know what it was like.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 16:051 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Are you still an innocent teenager??
    no, i just have no faith in democracy, man, beetle dude, look what happened in the pawn riot game, democracy took us from a perfectly decent opening like the French, and now we are facing a dragon slayer, in Yugoslavia, with a bunch of woosies who canae decide whether they wanted it or not, man that's democracy for you, and like the rook, that's the last political statement that i am making. i vote black beetle for president, hey maybe in the pawn riot game we could stage a military coup and he could dictate his will, it could nae be any worse than whats gone before! black beetle for president!
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 17:28
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Thought this thread was just going to slip away quietly

But...

Quote; "Robert J. Fischer didn't do so much for the chess world as you
    seem to think he did. "

There must be thousands of players my age who took up the game
    because of him. I remember reading a long list of GM's and IM's who
    started playing in 1972.

I played in a tournament i ...[text shortened]... in because he went bald.

You were not around in 1972. You don't know what it was like.
    rgr that;
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 17:28
    no, i just have no faith in democracy, man, beetle dude, look what happened in the pawn riot game, democracy took us from a perfectly decent opening like the French, and now we are facing a dragon slayer, in Yugoslavia, with a bunch of woosies who canae decide whether they wanted it or not, man that's democracy for you, and like the rook, that's the ...[text shortened]... ctate his will, it could nae be any worse than whats gone before! black beetle for president!
    😵😀😵
  11. Big D
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 17:55
    Originally posted by bill718
    Bobby Fisher was the strongest player in the world for at least 4 years...maybe more. I never liked him though. Fisher was an uncaring, selfish, paranoid jerk! There was no room in Bobby Fisher's world for ANYONE but Bobby Fisher. I'm not happy he is dead, but I can't feel much grief at the thought either.

😴
    I don't know why you're singling out Fischer -- he's like a lot of people that specialize in one are of expertise (to the detriment of others). You might be surprised to find out that there are plenty of professionals out there who exhibit the same qualities as you rail against in Fischer: Politicians, economists, philosophers, professional football coaches, doctors, lawyers, etc.
  12. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 17:582 edits
    Well i liked him just fine. and all of this armchair quarterbacking pseudo-conjecture is a bit much. None of you could hold a candle to his accomplishments, in the chess world or otherwise. He was outspoken, deal with it instead of spewing all this psycopath "stuffed shirt" redundant blather.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 18:17
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Oh!

tomtom232 dude,
    Just google "american atrocities" and you will be amazed -however I have not the slightest intention to get into a debate over here regarding this matter;

Big Bobby was seriously derailed but still he was a helluva chessplayer. Yes, he was not productive the way Botvinnik was, but this has to do with his obsession to reveal no ...[text shortened]... boxed into a mental freezeframe, ever unable to state the slightest comment of shock and awe.
    I did, and the site on the top was a bunch of hooh hah conspiracy.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 19:25
    Originally posted by casualdust
    The truth hurts, huh, Gambit? 😉 Just how classy are you? Charlotte
    Well, let's put it this way: if I am going to celebrate another human being's death, I will save it for those who actually murder innocents, and not the insane or those with merely controversial opinions.
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 20:01
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I did, and the site on the top was a bunch of hooh hah conspiracy.
    The site on the top, maybe. But some well documended historical issues, like the genocide of the Indians, are not at all hooh hah conspiracy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree