1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 13:50
    Originally posted by Arctic Jack
    How would I go about learning an opening? I've no idea where to start. I know the real basics like control the centre, knights before bishops etc but I always end up in trouble early on against anyone half way decent. Is there a book recommended that runs through openings in general that gives you information on each one. Sort of like a stepping stone before you actually choose an opening.
    Hi Arctic
    I would recommend buying Chessmaster 10th edition for 19 bucks US or 11th edition for 40 US. They are loaded with excellent tutorials for all parts of the game and has good analysis features that will tell you where you go wrong in games.
    Good Luck
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 16:54
    How would I go about learning an opening? I've no idea where to start. I know the real basics like control the centre, knights before bishops etc but I always end up in trouble early on against anyone half way decent. Is there a book recommended that runs through openings in general that gives you information on each one. Sort of like a stepping stone before you actually choose an opening.
    he is by no means the best GM on the market at the moment, but he does have a real basic book on about all openings, that's really useful for reference/REALLY basic theory. his theory is so basic, he gives the Poisoned Pawn a full sentence : "if you are really interested in the Poisoned Pawn Variation of the Najdorf Sicilian, then you'll have to go to another source, because I refuse to take a position." that's not a direct quote, but you do get the jist. Neil McDonald Concise Chess Openings. Highly reccomended for anyone just looking for a quick glance at the lines in an opening and not much more. by the way, he has two other books. Concise Chess Middlegames and Concise Chess Endgames. don't get them, they're terrible.
  3. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 19:51
    How would I go about learning an opening?...
    Read "How to play aggressively or solidly as White and Black: Your 4 choices of openings and defenses"

http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/Openings/4choices.html
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 21:29
    I strongly recommend "Winning Chess Openings", by GM Yasser Seirawan. It explains basic opening principles, and how those principles are utilized in the major opening systems played today.

Mr. Seirawan also provides a basic repertoire for both White and Black at the end of the book. This is the only opening book you'll need until you're rated about 1600 USCF.
  5. Standard memberIn A Word
    Mr. Hangs-A-Piece
    Waukee, Iowa
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:06
    For a white opening I would suggest the Colle. It's often called a "system" for a reason, the moves are pretty straight forward and standard and it can be easily turned into a queens gambit if needed.

While the Colle will be pretty ineffective against higher rated players it allows for some great training in learning tactics and seeing future moves. It should allow you to start seeing through other pieces in an attempt to glimpse a larger view of the board.

It's also a fairly simple and easy to understand opening concept. I recommend it, but don't rely on it. As with learning any opening, only stick to the book as long as the game allows.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 21:40
    Originally posted by In A Word
    For a white opening I would suggest the Colle. It's often called a "system" for a reason, the moves are pretty straight forward and standard and it can be easily turned into a queens gambit if needed.

While the Colle will be pretty ineffective against higher rated players it allows for some great training in learning tactics and seeing future moves. ...[text shortened]... ly on it. As with learning any opening, only stick to the book as long as the game allows.
    I agree that the Colle (1 d4 2 Nf3 3 e3 4 Bd3) is an excellent opening for the novice. Its only downside is that there are several defenses that Black can employ that make the Colle ineffective. For example, the Colle is ineffective whenever Black fianchettos his king's bishop. It also flops against the Dutch Defense. As a rule, it's only a good opening when Black plays 1...d5 and then shuts in his queen's bishop with ...e6.

On the other hand, the London System (1 d4 2 Nf3 3 Bf4) can be played effectively against virtually any mainline defense. I've been playing the London System for well over twenty years, and can highly recommend it.
  7. Here and there
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 21:46
    I pretty much agree with the last two posts...the Colle is a good choice for first opening as white (and later you can add in the Zuckertort colle, the torre attack, the 150 attack, the London system etc....once you are a little more confident about what you're doing.

If you're looking for your first openings as black, it's a little more complicated...against 1.e4 I think the French is a good place to start. The centre pawns often get blocked giving you something concrete to do right from the start (undermine those pawns!), it's solid, and as a bonus you'll learn a lot about pawn play (and really understand that you don't need much space if your pieces have good squares).

Against 1.d4, the parallel would be the Queen's gambit (but since I've always hated it, I can't tell you much about it). But I've always played something like the Benko (which is much more slippery and dangerous (for both players!), but genreally good fun and you'll learn something a bit more dynamic.

As to your original question...there's a book called (something like) the ideals behind the chess openings by Reubin Fine. It's old(!) and dated (he's pretty dogmatic about anything 'new'😉, but it can give you an idea of how to play any of the classical openings (without really needing to learn moves by heart).

For the rest....choose an opening.....and play it a LOT...against everyone...(when I have some free space, feel free to challenge me and we can talk through it afterwards if you like...).

Hope some of this helps...
  8. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 23:101 edit
    I don't agree at all.
    I think a beginner should look to play 1.e4 openings as white & 1...e5 as black against 1.e4 (& most others) as the beginner needs to learn tactics before positional play.
    1.d4 should be reserved until you're pretty damn good tactically IMO & I won an OTB league game tonight with mate in 20 & never play 1.d4.
    😉
  9. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 08:48
    Get the book# Batsford chess openings# or more complete series #encyclopedia of chess openings#
    Select some openinings for playing as white and BLACK which best fits with your skill . LEARN THEM AND EXAMINE PLAYHNG AT THE SITE AND IMPROVE YOUR PLAY !
    that ,s all . good luck.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '07 01:06
    A solid opening repertoire for the under-1200 crowd:

White: London System (1 d4 2 Nf3 3 Bf4)

Black: vs. 1 e4 - Rubinstein French (1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 [or 3 Nd2] de 4 Ne4 Nd7)

Black: vs. everything else (except 1 c4) - Tartakower Defense(1...d5 2...e6 3...Nf6 4...Be7 5...O-O 6...b6)

Black: vs. 1 c4 - 1...e6 2...d5, followed by the Tartakower setup.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '07 01:06
    A solid opening repertoire for the under-1200 crowd:

White: London System (1 d4 2 Nf3 3 Bf4)

Black: vs. 1 e4 - Rubinstein French (1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 [or 3 Nd2] de 4 Ne4 Nd7)

Black: vs. everything else (except 1 c4) - Tartakower Defense(1...d5 2...e6 3...Nf6 4...Be7 5...O-O 6...b6)

Black: vs. 1 c4 - 1...e6 2...d5, followed by the Tartakower setup.
  12. Joined
    09 Oct '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '07 19:13
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Modern Chess Openings, Nick De Firmian has revised the latest version, it's been around for over a century, called "The chess player's bible" for good reason.
    Nick De Firmian wrote the book--Chess Openings the Easy Way. It is a great book for begining because it has a nice selection to start with but doesn't get too deep. I would buy that book. Then I would Buy Chess for Dummies. That is not an insult. It is a great book that explains why you are doing what you are doing, I read it and I think it will help anyone rated less than 1900. I am not new to chess but I never could get better untill I read the dummies book and learned a few openings. now I am going to get a Yesser Seirewan(not sure how to spell that) book. I saw him play 12 or 13 years ago and was amazed. To bad for me I drank beer all the time and let it screw up my game. now no more beer, cigarettes, weed, or any of that mind changing crap. now its more fun because I am in control.
  13. Big D
    Moves
    26 Nov '07 19:17
    It's a waste of your time to study an opening. You'd be far better off learning endgames and studying tactical puzzles.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '07 20:371 edit
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    It's a waste of your time to study an opening. You'd be far better off learning endgames and studying tactical puzzles.
    I agree that studying tactical puzzles will benefit one's game far more than studying an opening. But, I think saying that "it is a waste of time to study an opening" is clearly wrongheaded. Tactical opportunities and winning endgames are almost always the result of a superior middlegame position, which more times than not is the result of good opening play. Plus, knowing an opening well will save time on the clock which can be put to better use in the middlegame and endgame. Having said, I totally agree with the sentiment that too much emphasis is placed on the opening by most players (including me).
  15. USA
    Moves
    26 Nov '07 21:58
    The need you describe is almost perfectly met by Yasser Seirawan's Winning Chess Openings. What are you waiting for? Buy it!!😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree