1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    16 May '08 22:131 edit
    Well I am having trouble hitting 1600 but maybe that is because I do not study chess!!

That seems to be the hardest for me. Studying the finer points of the game. I'm quite well with spotting basic tactics and I know my opening theory fairly decently.

Back when I was studying, I was doing really well. But I stopped doing that and was just playing in my leisure time. So most of my knowledge these days is in openings and tactics. I should probably pick up a book on positional play.

Chess really is a science, and so, it takes either dedication or brilliance to understand to such a level!

Good job!
  2. Joined
    10 May '08
    Moves
    18 May '08 03:51
    i am having trouble hitting 1600 USCF ...so I understand you jester.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 May '08 17:49
    Thank you, every one, for congratulating me for my success of being 1800+. But now it's over, now I am a 1800-, I hope I will stay 1700+ though.

It has been nice to know how it feels to be in the heights for a while. I hope I will return one day with a little more weight on my feet. To once again cross the 1800-line, but this time stay there.

But I have to face reality. My rating perhaps was 1800+ but my skill? Nope.

But anyway, thank you all!
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 22:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    But still - I'm here, among the big boys and girls. It feels nice indeed.

What's my secret? Is it a secret?

Time outs, of course.
    Well done.

D
  5. Right Here!!!
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 22:39
    FF

Congratulations on reaching 1800 🙂

Don't worry if your rating comes down... 'Whatever goes up, comes down' but I think we should change our perspective to read that sentence as 'Whatever goes up, should go further up'😉

BTW, my target is that my rating here should beat my Year of Birth... 🙂
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 05:35
    Originally posted by ram1977
    FF

Congratulations on reaching 1800 🙂

Don't worry if your rating comes down... 'Whatever goes up, comes down' but I think we should change our perspective to read that sentence as 'Whatever goes up, should go further up'😉

BTW, my target is that my rating here should beat my Year of Birth... 🙂
    Thank you. Seems that I'm here again! For a while anyway.
  7. Joined
    11 May '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 12:33
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Well I am having trouble hitting 1600 but maybe that is because I do not study chess!!
    Good job!
    The reason you are having trouble hitting 1600 is that you are playing opponents of similar rating as yourself.
    A quick inspection of your graph shows you are not trying to pad your rating level.

I think the rating calculation should be adjusted so that wins verses players 100 lower then your current should be seen as unrated.Loses should get rating points deducted except if the player has less than 20 games.

At least with this new rating system we wouldn't see so many of these threads.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 09:11
    In January I broke the 1700-barrier.
    Jeez, now I'm over 1800 !!!

Then I thought my visit in the 1700 area was only temporary, but I wasn't. Well 1800 is probably the highest I can get, ever.

However, the last 25 points was due to unexpected time outs...
    Well done! Keep studying and playing, and 2000 may be within
    your reach.🙂
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 12:13
    Originally posted by bill718
    Well done! Keep studying and playing, and 2000 may be within
    your reach.🙂
    You have high thoughts of me... This is probably the highest I will get. (Have i said this before?) I will never reach 2000, never. I have to reach 1900 first... 🙂

I will cross the 1800 barrier soon, this time from above.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 13:16

I will cross the 1800 barrier soon, this time from above.
    Just start playing better, and perhaps you'll stay. At another site (where the ratings seem inflated) I had a run of consistent results against players in the 1900s (all wins), and few upsets against players above that, and some timeouts against a 2400+ with the result that I peaked over 2100. Two weeks ago I was back down to 1998 where I hadn't been in two years. One win and I'm back over 2000 (comparable to over 1800 here).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree