1. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:20
    I am not condemning anything here, but I would have to say that naming yourself as God or Jesus is incredibly vain and blasphemous.
    (Before anyone points out, yes my name comes from a Greek god, but that doesn't count)
    😛
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:21
    Game 1663180

Still "in progress" even though its last move (also its first) was played in December '05. I wonder how many of these "immortal" games there are and how much of the system's resources they waste. Somebody should bring this to Russ' attention and suggest an automatic delete after timeout+timebank in such cases.
  3. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:22
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Game 1663180

Still "in progress" even though its last move (also its first) was played in December '05. I wonder how many of these "immortal" games there are and how much of the system's resources they waste. Somebody should bring this to Russ' attention and suggest an automatic delete after timeout+timebank in such cases.
    Good idea. After about a month, inactive games with no timeout/timebank should be deleted.
  4. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:28
    Originally posted by Mahout
    What makes you think you're playing God?
    Playing at God or with God or against God; which do you mean?😀
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:341 edit
    This site is run off of a database, so as long as neither player logs in, and other people don't search for those games, very little. It might impact indexing, but probably not significantly.

Note that this is based off of my experiences with databases (former IT developer, now in R&D on mobile devices) and what I know of the site.

Edit: This was in reply to Mark Adkins comment above about abandoned games and system resources.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:452 edits
    Originally posted by zebano
    This site is run off of a database, so as long as neither player logs in, and other people don't search for those games, very little. It might impact indexing, but probably not significantly.

Note that this is based off of my experiences with databases (former IT developer, now in R&D on mobile devices) and what I know of the site.

Edit: This was in reply to Mark Adkins comment above about abandoned games and system resources.
    However, those indices are probably used to budget things like max games per player, since in most cases a game that exists *will* require other system resources as it is played. Also, it is seldom a good idea to permit system indices to grow without bound owing to a build-up of trash: the value of the index may have hidden, indirect effects, and also after passing some point could even result in buggy behavior. Who knows what kind of maximum value the assigned variable has, representationally, or what would happen if the system attempted to exceed it due to a build up of "immortal" inactive games; possibly some sort of carry-over resulting in a stack error affecting other parts of the system.
  7. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:48
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Game 1663180

Maybe every possible move entails imperfection. Or He's worried He'll be hoisted with the 1. e4 c5 1-0 petard.
  8. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:523 edits
    He's definitely a multiple account user. Or some are imposters.

User 393372
    User 23854
    User 63252
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:55
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Maybe every possible move entails imperfection. Or He's worried He'll be hoisted with the 1. e4 c5 1-0 petard.
    He probably started the game during a quiet moment -- you know, sitting around waiting for three days to elapse before somebody rolls away the rock. I imagine him on another planet, bringing the Word, sitting in a cave-tomb smoking Benson & Hedges and using Voyager 1 or something to relay the signals from his wireless palm pilot. Of course, he had to split as soon as he heard the rubes struggling to move the boulder, and wouldn't you know, the game has a three-day turn around.
  10. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 20:09
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Ha! Very clever. I just read about this in the news, think the Bulgarian is a puffed-up popinjay- Short is one of the top players.
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 20:49
    This guy can beat God

User 136553
  12. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 20:54
    Originally posted by ares3
    I am not condemning anything here, but I would have to say that naming yourself as God or Jesus is incredibly vain and blasphemous.
    (Before anyone points out, yes my name comes from a Greek god, but that doesn't count)
    😛
    I don't think there is much difference to be honest...
  13. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 00:20
    Didn't Frank Burns play god in a movie?
  14. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:17
    Originally posted by ares3
    😛
    Lighten up Francis.
  15. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 04:18
    Originally posted by excalibur 8
    Playing at God or with God or against God; which do you mean?😀
    Against. That doesn't make me the Anti-Christ does it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree