1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 12:531 edit
    thanks Q for the games, it has not been entirely in vain, 10 min blitz on FICS.

2. Joined
    22 Feb '12
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 14:33
    Thx for sharing

I like:
    41...Kg7, threatening mate
  3. e4
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 14:35
    How about in the imitation of greenpawn....Is it because you can't. 😉
    If you are going to show a blitz game then at least entertain the troops.

And the trap.

😉
    .....and not even a 'well done' or 'good game'. (all I got was a wee tune.)
    That was me about six months ago v a Mephisto computer on Level 4 or 5. (15-20 secs).
    So it played Blitz. I took my time. It was half blitz. 🙂

The give away is Qxb2 and Ne8. These are low level box moves. Nice game though.

The notes and thoughts are genuine, it was how I was thinking in the game.
    I did not (then) know nothing about the opening and have since discovered that 7.Bd2 is theory.

So today's lesson. If you are stuck in an opening and you don't know what to do.
    Set a trap, the chances are it's theory.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 14:48
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    How about in the imitation of greenpawn....Is it because you can't. 😉
    If you are going to show a blitz game then at least entertain the troops.

[pgn]
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Qh4 {Great. I knew this existed but I know nothing about it.}
    5. Nb5 {I know this is played.}
    5... Qxe4+ 6. Be2 {Now I'm expectng 6...Qxg2 7.Bf3 and Nc7+ co ...[text shortened]... opening and you don't know what to do.
    Set a trap, the chances are it's theory.
    opening traps and tactics do nothing for me, sorry.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 14:492 edits
    Originally posted by Artsew
    Thx for sharing

I like:
    41...Kg7, threatening mate
    yes ...Kg7 is brilliant. Thanks for the encouragement.
  6. e4
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 15:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    opening traps and tactics do nothing for me, sorry.
    We want sacs, hacks, blunders and blood.

(......and an excuse to post a daft, but an instructive game.) 🙂

One wee point Robbie. The note after White's 13th move is too long.
    You could have left out all the personal insults stuff.

The reader has to use the scroll tool to read it all.
    No big deal really but if they do not re-set it then the following one
    line notes are missed. (try it).
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 15:25
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The reader has to use the scroll tool to read it all.
    No big deal really but if they do not re-set it then the following one
    line notes are missed. (try it).
    I think that depends on the browser you use, because I don't have this problem.
  8. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 15:421 edit

[pgn] [Event "?"] [Site "?"] [Date "2012.02.23"] [Round "?"] [White "?"] [Black "?"] [Result "*"] [ECO "B00"] [Annotator "carrobie,robbie"] [PlyCount "92"] [EventDate "2012.02.23"] [SourceDate "2012.02.23"] 1. e4 e6 {the idea is of course not to play the French defenc ught} Rg4+ 43. Nxg4 fxg4 44. Kxg4 a5 45. Kf3 a4 46. hxg6 hxg6 *[/pgn]
    Thats good stuff Robbie!

I'm glad you're finding a comfortable spot to work from. You kept yourself very flexible early on, and were more than willing to keep planning through the game. That's a key point, many players just want a two mover or a trap and sell their soul for it. Most the time - they just hand you an easy victory if your patient and flexible. 😉

Things I like to see, and you did:
    *Early flexibility and planning
    *Constantly determining your piece value - carefully.
    *Looking to simplify when ahead
    *Playing the ending with an idea - rather than with material
    (saccing the exchange for a won pawn ending takes experience, this one is simple - but it takes an eye to get away from your rook and win the game!)

I guess Mr. Pawn is a bit angry. He doesn't much like my style, and would rather see you hacking at your opponents with odd bits. Either way is fine. I still recommend the same things I always do. The endgame puzzles, the master games, and what Mr. Pawn calls tactics puzzles. Not necessarily in that order, and of varying degrees of importance through your study career. Find something you like and stick with it for awhile. Once you find a set of openings and a "system" of your own, you'll learn more about it and get deeper into some theory on it. This helps greatly! You're first system is the hardest - after that you'll have study skills that help you accomplish more.

That was good work and fun for a goofball like me to see. Keep it up!
    (P.S. you know its good if Mr. Pawn ignores you in your own article!)

Q
  9. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 18:022 edits

[pgn] [Event "?"] [Site "?"] [Date "2012.02.23"] [Round "?"] [White "?"] [Black "?"] [Result "*"] [ECO "B00"] [Annotator "carrobie,robbie"] [PlyCount "92"] [EventDate "2012.02.23"] [SourceDate "2012.02.23"] 1. e4 e6 {the idea is of course not to play the French defenc ught} Rg4+ 43. Nxg4 fxg4 44. Kxg4 a5 45. Kf3 a4 46. hxg6 hxg6 *[/pgn]
    4.d3 is something i really dislike - why to avoid fight for center with 4.d4 ?

4...Bb4 would be useful after 4.d4 as it would attack e4, but after 4.d3 this move make no sense - I don`t see the point to exchange bishop for knight in this position, but if Black does not want to do it (as it was in the game) what was the point to waste tempo? 4...Nf6 5.Bg5 was not bad for Black - whats wrong with 5...Be7 or 5...h6 for example?

6.Be2 is too passive - more active plan would be fianchetting the bishop after 6.g3.

8.a3? leads to pawn loss after 8...Bxc3 (instead of 8...Be7?) 9.Bxc3 dxe4. Tactics, tactics and tactics.... Better was 8.e5 of course.

13.dxc5? is anti-positional - why should White give his opponents such a strong pawn center?

19...e5? had to be prepared with 19...f6! when d6 pawn would be doomed.

20.Bxe5?! is another move I don`t understand - why to exchange such a good Bishop?

28.Rfd1 seems to be based on tactical oversight - after 28.Rfe1 black could not play 28...d2?? as this square is covered by white knight.

29.Ne3? was bad of course - better was 29.Kf1 (mentioned by robbie), but also 29.Rd2 was playable

34...Re8? is move I can`t explain too - why not 34...Rb8 when b pawn is doomed?

The same can be said about 35...f5 which simply gives up pawn. It`s mystery for me why White did not play 36.Nxf5.

37.Ke3 is the move I don`t like too. Much more logic would be in 37.Kc3 as pawn on b3 seems to be the most vulnerable.

39.Kf4?? - no comments.

This game is very good to illustrate importance of tactics - the most serious mistakes (made by both sides) were tactical.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 18:211 edit
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Thats good stuff Robbie!

I'm glad you're finding a comfortable spot to work from. You kept yourself very flexible early on, and were more than willing to keep planning through the game. That's a key point, many players just want a two mover or a trap and sell their soul for it. Most the time - they just hand you an easy victory if your patient and fle Keep it up!
    (P.S. you know its good if Mr. Pawn ignores you in your own article!)

Q
    yes its good, i have settled upon, after experimentation with almost everything, Nimzo
    Larsen Attack as white and ..e6 systems as black, the point being that i feel
    comfortable with them. Thanks again.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 18:26
    Lol, five thumbs down from the faceless, hum ho, life goes on!
  12. In attack
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 18:41
    Not entirely sure why, this sort of thread is welcome in my imaginings of the Chess only forum...
  13. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 18:446 edits
    Six thumbs robbie.

I forgot to add that also 14...d4?! makes no sense. Better was 14...Nab8! with intention to place knight on c6 and threat 15...a6 16.Nc3 (16.Nd6 is gonna give up pawn) d4. Even if White is not gonna fall into this trap and plays 15.a4 or 15.Bf4, knight on c6 is placed better.

And 18.Nd6? is crap of course. 18.Na3 with 19.Nc4 to follow is obviously better choice.

P.S. Thank you for thumb down.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 19:02
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    Six thumbs robbie.

I forgot to add that also 14...d4?! has no sense. Better was 14...Nab8! with intention to place knight on c6 and threat 15...a6 16.Nc3 (16.Nd6 is gonna give up pawn) d4. Even if White is not gonna fall into this trap and plays 15.a4 or 15.Bf4, knight on c6 is placed better.

And 18.Nd6? is crap of course. 18.Na3 with 19.Nc4 to follow is obviously better choice.

P.S. Thank you for thumb down.
    ok ill think about this, many thanks, I dont know why people thumb others down, just
    because they can I guess.
  15. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 19:04
    Its clear to me that GP 34 and Q are going to have to play each other to settle this once and for all. One game each as white, one as black.

We can call this series "The Airing of Grievances".

Make it happen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree