Moves
    19 Feb '06 18:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Small Town Manitoba
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 18:57
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Yep there was no mate for black there.. white must play kh1 then blacks only hope for mate is on the h2 square with the other rook, so lets say black plays Rg5 with the intention of playing Rh5 the next move to threaten Rxh2#. white would just have to play Rg1 to force a trade of rooks and thus end blacks chances.
    Ya I actually felt somewhat guilty for sending that message after he resigned as I was thinking of resigning myself. I guess it is a little bit of a sniker when you think about it though. Maybe i'll send him the link to this thread and see what kind of sense of humour he has.

GV
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 19:361 edit
    Don't trust your opponents. Act as if he is a patzer and find the best move.

If he sacs a piece and you think its a blunder then take it. Believe in yourself because that is all you got.

GM Josh W.
  4. Small Town Manitoba
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 19:46
    Originally posted by Nighthawk62
    Ya I actually felt somewhat guilty for sending that message after he resigned as I was thinking of resigning myself. I guess it is a little bit of a sniker when you think about it though. Maybe i'll send him the link to this thread and see what kind of sense of humour he has.

GV
    Ok, I sent Crockett1947 a PM leading him to this thread. I hope he has a sense of humour, or maybe he can show us what he saw that nobody else did.

GV
  5. Portland, OR
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 21:03
    Hi all, I was probably playing at lunch and didn't take time to really analyze the situation. Chess is a fun game and I hope to learn something from every game. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. My rating is unimportant to me -- the joy comes from playing a decent game with players who also enjoy the game. I avoid the forums on here because there is just so much posturing and crud. I believe in treating people with respect and hope to be treated the same in return. I know that that will not always be the case, but such is life.

As I say to each and every new opponent after our first game: "May your days be filled with friendship, love, and joy!!"
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 21:29

7. Portland, OR
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 21:35
    What a thoroughly nice gentleman 😀
    Thank you for the compliment!
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 02:11
    No, I do not resort to cheap off the board tricks. You do not need to try that on me. I can lose the game all by myself.
  9. The Great North
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 04:33
    What a thoroughly nice gentleman 😀
    im sorry, all i heard was "blah, blah, blah, im upset because i stupidly resigned and now i better act like it dont matter cuz my rateing sucks"
    😀

....but that's just what i heard.
  10. Somewhere out there!
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 17:15
    Originally posted by Nighthawk62
    Here's the link.

Game 1763394
    Note that you coould have foced mate 1 move before your last 😉
    (instead of Rd2xg2 you should have played Rgxg2 Kh1 Rxh2+ Kg1 Rdg2🙄
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 17:27

12. Portland, OR
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 17:30
    Originally posted by AlpineXazax
    im sorry, all i heard was "blah, blah, blah, im upset because i stupidly resigned and now i better act like it dont matter cuz my rateing sucks"
    😀

....but that's just what i heard.
    Too bad you can't take things as they are presented.
  13. Small Town Manitoba
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 17:38
    Originally posted by Testrider
    Note that you coould have foced mate 1 move before your last 😉
    (instead of Rd2xg2 you should have played Rgxg2 Kh1 Rxh2+ Kg1 Rdg2🙄
    You're right! I figured there should be a way to mate him but somehow I did not come up with it. Maybe it was because I thought the Rd2Xg2 was a mating move originally

GV.
  14. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 07:12
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    to send an opponent a "nice game. well played" message ingame , to get them to drop their guard and snatch a win from their grasp.

have you done it ?
    Game 1355437

After 5.Qc3 I couldn't help noticing the tragic alignment of my opponent's King and Queen. Since I needed him to continue to over-look this for one more move, I decided it was time to strike up an innocuous conversation. Should I be feeling guilty? 😳
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 07:19
    Yep there was no mate for black there.. white must play kh1 then blacks only hope for mate is on the h2 square with the other rook, so lets say black plays Rg5 with the intention of playing Rh5 the next move to threaten Rxh2#. white would just have to play Rg1 to force a trade of rooks and thus end blacks chances.
    Actually, Black Could have won.

Go to move 20 - using the D2 rook allowed White a escape square (Kh1) If however, Black used the other rook (doubling them both up on the 2nd rank instead of the G file ) will mean Rxh2 become an Option.

so from move 20 their was a FORCED MATE for black in 5 moves

RxG2 (the other one not D2!!!) Kh1, Rxh2, Kg1, And then Rh2 (the d2 rook this time) is mate.

unless i have made some complete n00b calculation....

It was this very simple choice in Rooks that defines who mates and who is mated....

ah! what a wonderful game it is!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree