1. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 07:50
    Originally posted by Ignatious Max
    I'd be interested in seeing your answers. I came up with 2235 and I've gone back through them again, but I don't see any improvements I could have made.

I first tried to do it last night at 2 AM when I was falling asleep and only scored 2045, which shows the effect sleep deprivation can have on your game. I looked again today after a night's rest ...[text shortened]... f the moves I'd missed last night jumped out at me.

Interesting; thanks for the link! 🙂
    No problem.
    1.c5xd4 (wanted to open up the position as quickly as possible, but Rxf3 could just be winning on the spot and is probably better!?)

2.Bg2-e4 (couldn't find an immediate win, without the bishop taking part, and since it can't be taken on e4 (?) the tactics should now work next move)

3.c5-c6 (white is struggling here-grabbing the pawns on the k-side looks to be very slow, so figured there must be something clever happening here. Saccing the pawn allows a perpetual, though the pattern is quite unusual)

4.e5-e6 (this is the easiest of the bunch. The pawn structure dictates that white must be winning-just nee to get the king in)

5.Nf5-h6+ (not too sure about this one?! I think white must have several ways to win - just noticed Qe1 for example which could be rubbish or could be beautiful!

6.Bg5xf6 (Simple tactic for anyone who has played the Dragon all their life : ) Even though the position is different, the pattern is the same.

7.Nf6-h7 (Difficult choice here. As usual I was tempted by the tacical shot Nf6xe4, followed by f5 and g5 winning bakc the piece, but it eventually gives back the e4 square to white so I couldn'e evaluate it clearly. Nf6-h7 is a fairly typical manouevre for black in this type of position.

8.Bb6-d8 (Still not 100% sure that exchangng rooks is winning, but the bishop move to d8 is far more pretty and clear once you see it-unless I'm wrong of course!

9.Be3 -d4 (Like some other folks here, I couldn't quite make the immediate sacs work, so this looks logical and sets up the threat of Bh7+ followed by Bxg7+, then Qg6+ .

10.Qd8-d7 (Probably rubbish, but didn't want to commit the B to a6 yet. Now if d5, then ...Na5/ Nxa5 bxa5 and the black queen controls a4 and Ba6 becomes a threat. Also, ...Qd7 holds up white's g4 (what else can he play?

So, that's my reasoning. Quite enjoyed it, cheers for the link : )
  2. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 09:24
    The best possible score is 2530. If you view the HTML source, it shows the scoring scale for the moves that it considers. I've not compared these with an engine.

I scored 2000 (before I looked at the HTML! 🙂 )
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 13:321 edit
    the last diagram is from a famous Nimzowitsch game: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1007465

I scored 2075 by the way. Didn't put too much thought in all the moves. Most of them immediately jumped out to me anyway.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 14:16
    Originally posted by Varenka
    The best possible score is 2530. If you view the HTML source, it shows the scoring scale for the moves that it considers. I've not compared these with an engine.

I scored 2000 (before I looked at the HTML! 🙂 )
    ditto, even 2000.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 14:32
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    the last diagram is from a famous Nimzowitsch game: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1007465

I scored 2075 by the way. Didn't put too much thought in all the moves. Most of them immediately jumped out to me anyway.
    I'm such an idiot: first I thought it was white to move, immeadiately thought g4 must be the move, then realized it's black to move and not once thought about having to prevent g4 anymore! 😞
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 03:39
    1480, which is the high end of my fluctuations
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 07:34
    1900, that surprised me.😀😀😀
  8. Seattle
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 09:10
    Originally posted by thadeusman
    1900, that surprised me.😀😀😀
    i got a surprising score too...1810....seeing how I top out around 1500-1600 on any site I play on ( or 1500 in real life)
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 10:15
    I did the whole lot in 60 seconds at 10 minutes past midnight after a bottle of wine and scored a terrible 1700 due to me sacrificing pieces everywhere.

After a good rest, no drink and an hour to spend thinking I will try again and see what impact a good rest and no drink have on my game.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 12:15
    Originally posted by zebano

I wish it would give you feedback on which answers it disagrees with...

Here are my answers

1. f6 - f3
    2. h5 - g6
    3. c5 - c6
    4. e5 - e6 {with Bxe6, Bd1! to follow when blacks bishop is where his king should be so white will be able to play Ke5)
    5. e3 - c5
    6. c3 - d5
    7. f6 - h7
    8. c8 - e8
    9. e4 - b7 (this one disappointments me. My intuit ...[text shortened]... idn't give this one much thought, it's just an old nizmo strategy to team up on the c4 pawn.
    Hi, Z... how does b6-d8 look to you for diagram #8?
  11. e4
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 13:18
    I was going to do it later tonight or tomorrow when I'm in the mood.

But in a moment of mad inspiration I tackled it and entered in every
    stupid move I could find getting them all wrong in one minute.
    (I had to retract one silly move because it suddenly looked like the answer)

So I got them all wrong and received a grade of 1000. yahoo!

In passing a few of the positions I recognised.

Expect most handy chess players to score over 2000 on this.
    Finding and playing the final combination is the easy part.
    The hard bit is the play leading up to it.
    Getting the position in the first place, then spotting and playing the combo.

Good fun though, good thread.
  12. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 13:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hi, Z... how does b6-d8 look to you for diagram #8?
    I know this wasn't addressed to me, but Bd8 looks very good, since it seems to win black's rook for the bishop at the very least.

Plus, if you cheat and look in the source it's the top answer 😉
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 14:16
    Originally posted by Meadows
    I know this wasn't addressed to me, but Bd8 looks very good, since it seems to win black's rook for the bishop at the very least.

Plus, if you cheat and look in the source it's the top answer 😉
    Source?
  14. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 14:251 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Source?
    I'd like to point out that this was Varenka's idea so I can't take credit.

If you go to the website and right click anyway on the page a menu should open. One of the options will be "View Source" (source code). Clicking on that will open the code used to make that particular page. A quick look through shows all the possible moves that the test considers and the rating value that it assigns to each.
  15. e4
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 14:50
    It also works if you do one at a time.

Do the first one and then scroll down to bottom and 'click for your rating.'

If you are right you will get 1160. Do the 2nd one and scroll down.

If you are correct your grade goes up to 1320...etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree