1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I had a rating of 1817 after my 3-way tie for first in the world Open in 1982. .
    The 1982 World Open was a 4-way tie between
    Nick de Firmian (GM)
    John Fedorowicz (GM)
    Dmitry Gurevich (GM)
    Eugene Meyer (IM)

The playoff was won by Nick de Firmian

Which one are you?
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 20:24
    Sorry about that. It is not easy to know everyone's individual issues that prevents them from gaining a higher rating. I guess it may be something like losing weight. One weight loss program may not work for everyone.
    No need to apologise, you're not to know. I think i should be somewhere in the high 1900's, now that i've moved house and have a decent connection timeouts should be a thing of the past, woopie!
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 21:373 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The 1982 World Open was a 4-way tie between
    Nick de Firmian (GM)
    John Fedorowicz (GM)
    Dmitry Gurevich (GM)
    Eugene Meyer (IM)

The playoff was won by Nick de Firmian

Which one are you?
    I wouldn't dare play in the top section. I am not that stupid.

P.S. My section was a three way tie between
    Benny Baldwin
    Betsy Content Smith
    Ronald J. Hinds

There was no playoff. The 1st through 3rd prize money was divided.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 04:21
    I would say you are not taking advantage of all the RHP rules and perhaps moving too impulsively before you have fully analyzed the position from both sides on the analyze board.
    You're wrong.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 07:30
    I had a rating of 1817 after my 3-way tie for first in the world Open in 1982. However those games were played with 2 hours for the first 40 moves then an additional hour is allowed for each person to complete the game. Since my return to OTB play I have been playing many of my games at 45 minutes for each player per game. I do not play well under time pr ...[text shortened]... d beat a player rated 1941 at 90 minutes for each player per game with 5 seconds delay per move.
    This absurd belief of yours to explain your rating discrepancy is nonsense. Just because you can move the pieces around the board doesn't explain how you can go from average club player to IM/FM level. If you don't have the understanding of the game required to get your rating up to that level then it doesn't matter how long you spend looking at the board moving pieces around you won't get there. If you don't know what you're looking for then you're not going to find it. It's as simple as that.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 10:36
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    This absurd belief of yours to explain your rating discrepancy is nonsense. Just because you can move the pieces around the board doesn't explain how you can go from average club player to IM/FM level. If you don't have the understanding of the game required to get your rating up to that level then it doesn't matter how long you spend looking at the boar ...[text shortened]... t know what you're looking for then you're not going to find it. It's as simple as that.
    A 2200+ rating on RHP is not the same as an IM/FM rating OTB, numbnuts.
  7. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 10:511 edit
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=148950&page=1

No one with a 2200 rating here at RHP would post such a ridiculous post as you have in the above topic. Post number 4 in which you say:

I would trybf5 attacking the queen and threating a discovered attack on the king
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 11:14
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    You're wrong.
    Okay. Just a thought. I know I am not right on everything. Sorry I could not help.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 11:181 edit
    Originally posted by Kegge
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=148950&page=1

No one with a 2200 rating here at RHP would post such a ridiculous post as you have in the above topic. Post number 4 in which you say:

I would trybf5 attacking the queen and threating a discovered attack on the king
    I really didn't study the position. That was just my first thought. Like playing blitz chess, which I am not good at because of my slow thought process. That is why I said I would try it, without giving a detailed analysis of why.

P.S. I was thinking he might take my bishop and let it go at that. After all, what does it matter, if I give a wrong answer? I don't gain or lose rating points.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 11:22
    No it isn't, but your current rating here on RHP puts you in and around some very strong OTB players who have been at IM level. There used to be a lot more of them, but people like you ruined it for them and now they don't play here anymore. So instead of having genuine strong OTB chess players to learn from in the forum we have you and your vanity ridden dross instead. Nice one.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 11:26
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    No it isn't, but your current rating here on RHP puts you in and around some very strong OTB players who have been at IM level. There used to be a lot more of them, but people like you ruined it for them and now they don't play here anymore. So instead of having genuine strong OTB chess players to learn from in the forum we have you and your vanity ridden dross instead. Nice one.
    Well, as long as you are learning something, count it as gain. 😏
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 14:20
    I really didn't study the position. That was just my first thought. Like playing blitz chess, which I am not good at because of my slow thought process. That is why I said I would try it, without giving a detailed analysis of why.

P.S. I was thinking he might take my bishop and let it go at that. After all, what does it matter, if I give a wrong answer? I don't gain or lose rating points.
    Rubbish.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 14:44
    Originally posted by Kegge
    Rubbish.
    You have been playing on here for about 3 years and are only rated about 200 points more that they started you out with. I say you need to take some of my rubbish advice and perhaps you can get it up another 200 points by this time next year. 😏
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 14:56
    Okay. Just a thought. I know I am not right on everything. Sorry I could not help.
    I cannot remember you being right about anything.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 16:18
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I cannot remember you being right about anything.
    You must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. You seem in to be in a very combative mood today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree