1. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 20:43
    Well I finally got myself some sort of over the board grade, I haven't lost a graded game yet this season, and none of my games have been against anyone with a solid established grade, so at the moment it's a pretty meaningless number, but as I'm entering a couple of congresses, and am in my club team for the league match next week, it should firm up quite quickly.

Here it is anyway
    http://www.robertchess.org.uk/North/pr.php?id=57

Now I know most of the stronger players use this website as a correspondence chess site, "analyse board", opening books etc. I have been using it for over the board practice. I try and concentrate on one game at a time if I have a fast moving opponent and will think for only a minute or so about each move. I set up a board and do not move the pieces. I'm not interested in an online grade, but I am interested in getting and improving an over the board grade.

I'm not sure where I've got the idea, but I reckon the standard of play compared to rating here, is about 200 points weaker than I expect a player to be in the flesh. i.e., I feel I have a decent chance against a 1500 player on here, I'd expect similar odds against a 1300 OTB player. Probably the same on chess.com. I don't think the difference in rules (ability to use analyse board etc) makes a meaningful difference, because it just means a 1800 player might play like a 1900 player, but as they're graded 1900 too, the important factor when relating it to an OTb grade is surely how I approach my games. The only difference I can see is the "endurance" element, when I play an endgame on here, I haven't usually already been concentrating hard for a couple of hours.

I want to hit 100 ECF this season, which is 1450 WCU, I'm interested in peoples comments on what sort of level I'd need to get on here, treating games as OTB games, to be the equivalent of a 100 ECF player.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 20:43
    Obviously, by my reckoning of 200 points grade inflation on here, I'd have to be a solid 1650 player on here, does that sound about right for a 100 ECF?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 22:58
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    Well I finally got myself some sort of over the board grade, I haven't lost a graded game yet this season, and none of my games have been against anyone with a solid established grade, so at the moment it's a pretty meaningless number, but as I'm entering a couple of congresses, and am in my club team for the league match next week, it should firm up quit ...[text shortened]... on here, treating games as OTB games, to be the equivalent of a 100 ECF player.
    Yes, the endurance is a factor I have noticed since getting older. At 68, I am like you in that I often get tired of thinking before the game is over and this is just for one game at the chess club in the evening. When I competed in the World Open years ago, I had to play chess all day for several days. I was young and in good physical shape then however.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 23:12
    Obviously, by my reckoning of 200 points grade inflation on here, I'd have to be a solid 1650 player on here, does that sound about right for a 100 ECF?
    I had an unofficial BCF grade (in the London Commercial Chess League*) of between 125 - 135 and had to use that as my grade when entering competitions. It was about right judging from my Congress results.

On here I am ... fluctuating between 1700 - 1800

*the London Commercial Chess League used the same calculation as the BCF (now ECF) to determine grades but was based on a smaller pool of players and probably less than 20 games a season.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 23:26
    Well I finally got myself some sort of over the board grade, I haven't lost a graded game yet this season, and none of my games have been against anyone with a solid established grade, so at the moment it's a pretty meaningless number, but as I'm entering a couple of congresses, and am in my club team for the league match next week, it should firm up quit ...[text shortened]... on here, treating games as OTB games, to be the equivalent of a 100 ECF player.
    I think you're missing a trick. By all means sit and study the position unaided by the analyse board (this will improve your mental calculation) but you should definitely check your ideas with the analyse board. It gives you an opportunity to test your mental calculation without getting yourself into a load of bad positions. Correspondence is an opportunity to really look deeply into multiple plans, which improve your general strategic understanding.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 23:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I had an unofficial BCF grade (in the London Commercial Chess League*) of between 125 - 135 and had to use that as my grade when entering competitions. It was about right judging from my Congress results.

On here I am ... fluctuating between 1700 - 1800

*the London Commercial Chess League used the same calculation as the BCF (now ECF) to determine grades but was based on a smaller pool of players and probably less than 20 games a season.
    I think that where you live plays a big part in what your grade is. London players face a much wider pool of players than elsewhere. If you're a decent player and play somewhere rural you're going to have a much higher grade than you would in a big city..
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 23:42
    My grade on here is a lot higher that 200 points. So that would depend on what extent and effort one put into using all the rules of RHP.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 03:15
    My rating here is significantly lower than my USCF rating.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 17:43
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    My rating here is significantly lower than my USCF rating.
    I would say you are not taking advantage of all the RHP rules and perhaps moving too impulsively before you have fully analyzed the position from both sides on the analyze board.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 18:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My grade on here is a lot higher that 200 points. So that would depend on what extent and effort one put into using all the rules of RHP.
    Your OTB rating is USCF 1500's and yet here on RHP you have a rating of almost 2300.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 18:23
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Your OTB rating is USCF 1500's and yet here on RHP you have a rating of almost 2300.
    Caesare said his rating is 1700 yet here he's 2350, the rest of us clearly need to try harder..
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 18:412 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I had a rating of 1817 after my 3-way tie for first in the world Open in 1982. However those games were played with 2 hours for the first 40 moves then an additional hour is allowed for each person to complete the game. Since my return to OTB play I have been playing many of my games at 45 minutes for each player per game. I do not play well under time pressure and sometimes even have lost on time while being ahead in material. So my rating is not where it should be, but I am having fun anyway. However, I did beat a player rated 1941 at 90 minutes for each player per game with 5 seconds delay per move.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 18:481 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Caesare said his rating is 1700 yet here he's 2350, the rest of us clearly need to try harder..
    You can do it. Don't make a move until you have done your homework with full anaylsis for as many moves ahead as you feel is necessary for you to feel comfortable you are making the best move you can find.

P.S. Don't be impulsive in your games, like I demonstrated when solving a puzzle that overlooked my being checkmated on the next move.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 19:141 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You can do it. Don't make a move until you have done your homework with full anaylsis for as many moves ahead as you feel is necessary for you to feel comfortable you are making the best move you can find.

P.S. Don't be impulsive in your games, like I demonstrated when solving a puzzle that overlooked my being checkmated on the next move.
    You seriously underestimate how much effort i put into my games. Timeout has been my problem for years, until now i haven't had a fully working connection. We'll see what my true rating is sometime in the next year..
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 19:37
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    You seriously underestimate how much effort i put into my games. Timeout has been my problem for years, until now i haven't had a fully working connection. We'll see what my true rating is sometime in the next year..
    Sorry about that. It is not easy to know everyone's individual issues that prevents them from gaining a higher rating. I guess it may be something like losing weight. One weight loss program may not work for everyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree