1. Joined
    03 Feb '10
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 14:18
    Hi.

My name is Eirik, and I am a 33 year old architect from Norway.
    I studied architecture in Australia (Newcastle) and I live in Germany with my German wife and our daughter since 2007. I work in Luxembourg as an architect at www.polaris-architects.com

I know the basics of chess and enjoy it once in a while with friends. My hardest games are against my dad, we usually play in the holidays, and unfortunately I usually lose... He is an avid attacker, and neither my defense or attack is grandmaster class.

I am interested in correspondence chess because it might offer me a good opportunity to get to know nice people and to improve my game.

If anyone is interested in playing against a beginner and maybe give a few tactical tips and a quick analysis after our game is finished, I would be very happy to play.

See ya over the chessboard.
    Cheers, Eirik
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 14:251 edit
    So it's like this: the horsie can go over the other guys...
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 14:32
    Welcome Eirik, you've come to the right place. Just be patient.
  4. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So it's like this: the horsie can go over the other guys...
    since when?
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    hhmm what sort of mood am i in? serious, rude, silly or a 'take it to chess, spanky' post?

i'll go to the toilet and think about it.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 14:33
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    since when?
    Just move forward, you lowly pawn. There's nothing to see here and it's not like you're going to turn into a Queen anytime soon.

I'm not sure about that last part, actually.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '10
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 14:38
    Thanks for your warm welcome.

I just figured I'd say hi and see what happened.

Sadly too similar to my chess philosophy: move and see what happens.

Great tip about the horse.. now, let's see.. on which horse do I place my bet...
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 14:40
    Originally posted by EirikK
    Thanks for your warm welcome.

I just figured I'd say hi and see what happened.

Sadly too similar to my chess philosophy: move and see what happens.

Great tip about the horse.. now, let's see.. on which horse do I place my bet...
    Me, obviously. Just check out my teeth -> 😀
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 15:21
    I can't play too well either but Irving Chernev's beautiful little book Logical Chess: Move by Move:Every Move Explained is commonly recommended for advancing novices:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logical-Chess-Every-Explained-Algebraic/dp/0713484640
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 15:35
    Originally posted by Diodorus Siculus
    Irving Chernev's beautiful little book Logical Chess: Move by Move:Every Move Explained is commonly recommended for advancing novices
    The more I see that book recommended the more I want to read it 😳 I believe I have skipped several levels of understanding which makes that I have huge gaps that others (lower-rated too) have not. 😕 Does that make sense?
  11. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 16:011 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    The more I see that book recommended the more I want to read it 😳 I believe I have skipped several levels of understanding which makes that I have huge gaps that others (lower-rated too) have not. 😕 Does that make sense?
    This must be the first time something you say makes sense to me

I also recommend chernev's logical chess(depending on your strenght which is hard to determine from the one move 1... f5 I've seen Erik play).

Adding to the anguish 😀
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 16:141 edit
    I would guess you have gained most of it elsewhere, they're all very simple and fundamental things. basic principles. the main strength of the book is IMO that it shows how simple good chess really is. and seeing a gm actually treat it simple, instead of an arcane secret craft beyond the comprehension of us mere mortals.

for eirik I want to add that the book really is THE book every player from a rank beginner up to 1600-1800 should read. it gives you the foundation to build on, so you'll understand WHY certain moves tend to be played and especially looked at before anything else.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 16:19
    I know exactly what you mean. I started playing chess quite late and so missed out on what many players pick up when they are youngsters. I think I've filled many of the gaps in my knowledge through the coaching I've done over the last few years.

Anyway, if you want a PDF copy of "Logical Chess", send me a PM.
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 16:22
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I know exactly what you mean. I started playing chess quite late and so missed out on what many players pick up when they are youngsters. I think I've filled many of the gaps in my knowledge through the coaching I've done over the last few years.

Anyway, if you want a PDF copy of "Logical Chess", send me a PM.
    I'm out of PMs 😛
  15. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 16:29
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I would guess you have gained most of it elsewhere, they're all very simple and fundamental things. basic principles. the main strength of the book is IMO that it shows how simple good chess really is. and seeing a gm actually treat it simple, instead of an arcane secret craft beyond the comprehension of us mere mortals.

for eirik I want to add that the ...[text shortened]... understand WHY certain moves tend to be played and especially looked at before anything else.
    But..... that books major flaw is that almost all of the games are QGD. Apart from that, I cant fault it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree