1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 14:21
    *Everybody is free to invite whoever he wants to.
    * Everybody is free to accept or decline invites.
    * If an invite is not accepted within two weeks it will vanish automatically.
    * Most probably a 1300-rated player won't learn anything serious from a 2300 player. It the latter wouldn't explain things, which are evident for himself.
    * It could be that a 2300 would be inmclined to give a halping hand, but then he should better teach people at about 200. 1300s can learn fro Rahim for example.

Conclusions:
    * We need not be irritated be people setting up strange invites.
    * Even if a 2300 is irritated he can just ignore this.
    * If a 2300+ wants to accept its none of my business, if nody accepts the same is true.
    * The forums are fun if things are discussed which have no significance to any of the participants.

Have FUN!

btw: I am a lowrated player myself who is not inclide to do the study necessary to climb significantly. Thank you.
  2. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 15:42
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That isn't sandbagging. A 1350 player wouldn't lose points if beaten by someone so far above him.

If he wanted to sandbag, he'd intentionally drop points to those close to his own rating level.

Edit: And I'm not sure why you're frustrated. The 2300's probably will never accept the invite, or accept and then delete the game. What does it matter to you either way?
    Perhaps you didn't read my entire post. My reasoning brought me around to a affiable conclusion. You are absolutely right; I have no stake in who he/she decides to invite, and I will likely never play this person anyway. But, by the same token, just as they have the right to invite whomever they wish, I have the right to make the observation. As for the sandbagging...again read the entire thread. I never looked at the person's profile, just found it very strange.

Why does it bother me anyway? I have 0 tolerance for assinine behavior. It's the same as if you are sitting at an intersection and the idiots on the other three corners don't know who is supposed to go first. Or, when some moron decides that it would be a good idea to put tv's in cars...(or they people that actually watch them while they are driving). OR, when a 1300 challenges a 2300 when it's obvious that the master does not have anything to gain by playing such a game.

I hope this clarifies. Perhaps just like the road, I have chess rage 😛
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 16:18
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    He is defiantely not cheating! I am playing him and he has just blundered a knight away (well I hope he has otherwise I have misread the position and blundered myself). The game is not over yet so no comments specific to the game please
    Why did you accept his invite? I wouldn't bother and I'm no where near 2300.

There is no point getting frustrated by it. His invite will a
    lay there forever until he deletes it as no one will ever accept it.
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 16:341 edit
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 17:01
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 17:44
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Why all the same opponent?

Why does a 2000+ enjoy beating up the same 1300 player time after time?
    ... when a newly made 2000 player can beat up on several weaker players instead?😛😀
  7. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 17:55
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Why did you accept his invite? I wouldn't bother and I'm no where near 2300.

There is no point getting frustrated by it. His invite will a
    lay there forever until he deletes it as no one will ever accept it.
    I'm not frustrated by it, I didn't start this post, I just wanted to play some otb style chess
  8. London
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 18:57
    [Let's see if we can make our sandbagging more obvious, shall we?[/b]
    What's sandbagging?
  9. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 19:201 edit
    Originally posted by Mahout
    What's sandbagging?
    it's when someone delibrately has an artifically low rating to catch out and beat players higher than what there actual rating is, I'm not sure what exactly the purpose of it is, but it maybe perhaps it is done in otb tournaments etc maybe someone can fully explain the logic behind why they do it?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 21:11
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Perhaps you didn't read my entire post. My reasoning brought me around to a affiable conclusion. You are absolutely right; I have no stake in who he/she decides to invite, and I will likely never play this person anyway. But, by the same token, just as they have the right to invite whomever they wish, I have the right to make the observation. As fo ...[text shortened]... g such a game.

I hope this clarifies. Perhaps just like the road, I have chess rage 😛
    I find it funny when someone with 'zero tolerance for asinine behavior' makes a ridiculous thread and then retracts most of what he said two posts later.
  11. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:061 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That isn't sandbagging. A 1350 player wouldn't lose points if beaten by someone so far above him.

If he wanted to sandbag, he'd intentionally drop points to those close to his own rating level.

Edit: And I'm not sure why you're frustrated. The 2300's probably will never accept the invite, or accept and then delete the game. What does it matter to you either way?
    You asked me why it mattered to me, and I told you. Unless you were being rhetorical, I have a right to answer you. And I was trying to use examples to show what I meant. Diet Coke responded to my first post, and then I responded to him. I was done with the thread after that; said what I wanted to say; did my venting. And then you asked me "why?" So, I told you WHY. And as far as a retraction of my statements, ALL the retractions I made were entirely conditional on the player's intentions. If I can't express my opinion about such things, then what is the forum good for?

Edit: I should also note, that I am attempting to stay above personal attacks, and I hope that you do the same.
  12. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:23
    Okay, perhaps this isn't quite as "ridiculous." How about when you join an invite to play as Black. Your opponent moves and then they "apparently" don't want to play against that particular defense, so they delete the game? Any opinions on that one? And it always happens when I play Alekhine's. 😕
  13. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 05:42
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    it's when someone delibrately has an artifically low rating to catch out and beat players higher than what there actual rating is, I'm not sure what exactly the purpose of it is, but it maybe perhaps it is done in otb tournaments etc maybe someone can fully explain the logic behind why they do it?
    Before the new tournament rules were instituted players coud resign all their games, then wait 30 days and enter banded tournaments hundreds of points below their playing ability.

I'd assume they do it so they can feel the satisfaction of spoiling the enjoyment of other players 😞.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 10:32
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Is it irritating to you when you look at the open invites screen, and somebody with a rating of say 1357 (established), is only accepting games from 2300 and above? Let's see if we can make our sandbagging more obvious, shall we?
    Nope. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  15. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 14:153 edits
    My understanding of the math involved in rating changes is that any established player cannot lose points if they win the game, because the formula for rating change includes a formula for theoretical odds of winning (more specifically, a comparison of how well a player fared compared to the expectations of them, as determined by past game history).

The formula for those odds is 1 / (1 + (10 ^ (difference in rating / 400))), which is always lies between 0 and 1 NONinclusive, which means a win is always at least a little better than the expected odds, just as a loss is always worse.

In layman's terms, there is always a chance to win, and a chance to lose, even though those winning chances are practically zero against an opponent who has a much higher rating than your own.

The practical upshot is as follows. If a GM beats someone with a rating of 800, there's almost zero change in ratings, because what happened and what was expected match. If the GM loses, then the shift in rating is fairly sizeable (Theoretically as much as 32 rating points). In the event of the draw, the GM still loses a good bit of rating to the weaker player.

A player's rating is, as it has always been, a way of trying to predict how strong a player is compared to everyone else within the same community (RHP in this case). And beating an opponent whom you are clearly significantly stronger than doesn't really say anything about you, now does it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree