1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 02:45
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Yes, but only because Suttles overplayed his hand in the endgame. I think he missed the f4 push. The rook ending (had he traded queens somewhere in there) was in fact a draw. The game is annotated in Learn From The Grandmasters. Great Book!

Each player (author) chooses two great games - one of his own and one that inspired him.

It's a ...[text shortened]... t here at amazon (US) for only $2 used. Anyone with a little chess budget should check it out.
    I think it is because Pal Benko was a better psychological chess player. We have a Benko's Opening, but there is no Suttles' Opening.
  2. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 02:54
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Don't be a smart aleck!
    He He

To me it's about the same as the Modern/Caro argument. It doesn't really matter what it's called. 🙂
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 02:59
    I think it is because Pal Benko was a better psychological chess player. We have a Benko's Opening, but there is no Suttles' Opening.
    1.g3 is interestingly the Benko Opening (by some sources), but Suttles actually played it more often (I believe)!

The Benko Gambit is sometimes referred to as the Volga Gambit. In Benko's book, he credits it to many Soviet players, including a few delayed ones by Bronstein.

I think he gets more recognition because of the U.S.. His column on the endgame in Chess Life is wonderful.

Suttles, on the other hand, never really had as much popularity outside of Canada.

There isn't really a Kasparov or Karpov opening either, but they have a few variations that they are known for playing (just like Suttles with the Modern).

Here's a funny. ... One of the first books I read (and one that I still enjoy) is Winning With Chess Psychology by Pal Benko !!!

For once, you might be on to something!
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:02
    1.e4...c6 2. d4...d5 is a Caro Kann Defense. 😏
    Google gurgenidze caro kann.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:03
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    1.g3 is interestingly the Benko Opening (by some sources), but Suttles actually played it more often (I believe)!

The Benko Gambit is sometimes referred to as the Volga Gambit. In Benko's book, he credits it to many Soviet players, including a few delayed ones by Bronstein.

I think he gets more recognition because of the U.S.. His colum ...[text shortened]... is Winning With Chess Psychology by Pal Benko !!!

For once, you might be on to something!
    It's all about "Winning with Chess Psychology." 😏
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:182 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Google gurgenidze caro kann.
    Okay you are right, but the d5 move that keeps it a Caro Kann is only delayed one move. I would still title the game vivify played as a Modern/Robatsch Defense by transposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Defense

But when I Google the actual moves they give me B08 Pric, classical games.
    It looks like this order of moves has many people confused as to what to call it.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?page=7&gamekey=Be2Bg7Nc3Nf6Nf3c1c1c6d4d6e4g6/&notkey=Be2Bg7Nc3Nf6Nf3c1c1c6d4d6e4g6/Bf4&title=1.%20e4%20c6%202.%20d4%20g6%203.%20Nc3%20Bg7%204.%20Nf3%20d6%205.%20Be2%20Nf6%206.%20O-O%20O-O%20&eresult=
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:45
    Okay you are right, but the d5 move that keeps it a Caro Kann is only delayed one move. I would still title the game vivify played as a Modern/Robatsch Defense by transposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Defense

But when I Google the actual moves they give me B08 Pric, classical games.
    It looks like this order of moves has many people confu ...[text shortened]... c6%202.%20d4%20g6%203.%20Nc3%20Bg7%204.%20Nf3%20d6%205.%20Be2%20Nf6%206.%20O-O%20O-O%20&eresult=
    What did you call Bob??
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 03:50
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    What did you call Bob??
    Put your eyeglasses on Mr Magoo.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 15:00
    It seems that you guys are right; my opening is a variation of the Caro-Kann defense, though there doesn't seem to be a name for this exact variation. For now, I'm calling it the Karo-Kann, Vivify variation.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 20:20
    Originally posted by vivify
    It seems that you guys are right; my opening is a variation of the Caro-Kann defense, though there doesn't seem to be a name for this exact variation. For now, I'm calling it the Karo-Kann, Vivify variation.
    Don't get too cocky now!
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 00:43
    Put your eyeglasses on Mr Magoo.
    Thanks for noticing I'm legally blind.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 18:13
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Thanks for noticing I'm legally blind.
    I think Mr. Magoo was too. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree