Is this a draw?

Is this a draw?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
19 Nov 11

I can't see a way to make progress for white, and its the wrong bishop, and its a rook pawn. Is there something I'm clearly missing?

Moves
19 Nov 11
2 edits

White wins in 27 moves.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
19 Nov 11

Originally posted by Exuma
[fen]k5r1/P7/1B6/4R3/4K3/8/8/8 w - - 0 67[/fen]

I can't see a way to make progress for white, and its the wrong bishop, and its a rook pawn. Is there something I'm clearly missing?
It's a win for white, with correct play.

skeets

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
19 Nov 11
3 edits

Can you show the line? White can't trade rooks, and black's rook is already on the back rank, so I don't see the method.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
19 Nov 11

King and Rook both on the 7th, King on the d file with the Rook outside. Pawn needs to Queen. That's the line.

skeets

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
19 Nov 11

Originally posted by skeeter
King and Rook both on the 7th, King on the d file with the Rook outside. Pawn needs to Queen. That's the line.

skeets
Thanks for the response, especially so fast!

I'm thinking to draw as black he just moves the black rook back and forth between the c8 square (where the white king can't capture it) and one of the kingside squares, since white can't cover them all even if he moves the bishop back to try to cover.

I've been placing the white rook on e7, f7, g7 and h7, and I don't think it makes a difference.

Sorry if I'm slow, but can you be more specific about how to force it?

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
19 Nov 11

skeets
Thanks KnightStalker and Skeets, working on the endgames is hurting my head. Knowing its possible is 90% sometimes...

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
19 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
....... but can you be more specific about how to force it?
No. I've already given you the tactics - K & R to the seventh and with the correct placement of the Bishop, you can force the black King off the 8th, and effect the promotion. It is there but you have to work it through yourself. No pain - no gain.

skeeter

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 Nov 11

I'm thinking to draw as black he just moves the black rook back and forth between the c8 square (where the white king can't capture it) and one of the kingside squares, since white can't cover them all even if he moves the bishop back to try to cover.

I've been placing the white rook on e7, f7, g7 and ...[text shortened]... es a difference.

If white could get this:

Then the Rook has only c8.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
19 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
If white could get this:

[fen]k1r5/P2R1K2/8/8/3B4/8/8/8 b - - 0 1[/fen]

Then the Rook has only c8.
No. That's not the line - Kings on the wrong side of the Rook which results in a threepeat draw. Remember, you need to drive the King off the eighth - that's the key.

skeeter

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 Nov 11

No. That's not the line. Kings on the wrong side of the Rook. Remember, you need to drive the King off the eighth - that's the key.

skeeter
If I drive the Rook off of the 8th, I can then drive the King off with Rd8+.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
19 Nov 11

I've been placing the white rook on e7, f7, g7 and ...[text shortened]... es a difference.

Another problem for white is that if the rook goes to the 7th too early black draws with the stalemate. Its harder to get the king up there than it looks.

N

Moves
19 Nov 11
1 edit

lol SG in your diagram the rook can go almost anywhere b/c a capture would be a stalemate.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 Nov 11

Originally posted by Exuma
Another problem for white is that if the rook goes to the 7th too early black draws with the stalemate. Its harder to get the king up there than it looks.
Ahh yes, I missed the desperado.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
19 Nov 11

Originally posted by SwissGambit
If I drive the Rook off of the 8th, I can then drive the King off with Rd8+.
You're not listening - you can't drive the Rook off the eighth with the King on that side of the Rook and the Bishop is not correct.

skeeter