Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    19 Nov '11 01:39

I can't see a way to make progress for white, and its the wrong bishop, and its a rook pawn. Is there something I'm clearly missing?
  2. 19 Nov '11 01:55 / 2 edits
    White wins in 27 moves.
  3. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    19 Nov '11 01:57
    Originally posted by Exuma
    [fen]k5r1/P7/1B6/4R3/4K3/8/8/8 w - - 0 67[/fen]

I can't see a way to make progress for white, and its the wrong bishop, and its a rook pawn. Is there something I'm clearly missing?
    It's a win for white, with correct play.

skeets
  4. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    19 Nov '11 02:00 / 3 edits
    Can you show the line? White can't trade rooks, and black's rook is already on the back rank, so I don't see the method.
  5. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    19 Nov '11 02:19
    King and Rook both on the 7th, King on the d file with the Rook outside. Pawn needs to Queen. That's the line.

skeets
  6. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    19 Nov '11 02:35
    Originally posted by skeeter
    King and Rook both on the 7th, King on the d file with the Rook outside. Pawn needs to Queen. That's the line.

skeets
    Thanks for the response, especially so fast!

I'm thinking to draw as black he just moves the black rook back and forth between the c8 square (where the white king can't capture it) and one of the kingside squares, since white can't cover them all even if he moves the bishop back to try to cover.

I've been placing the white rook on e7, f7, g7 and h7, and I don't think it makes a difference.

Sorry if I'm slow, but can you be more specific about how to force it?
  7. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    19 Nov '11 02:52

skeets
    Thanks KnightStalker and Skeets, working on the endgames is hurting my head. Knowing its possible is 90% sometimes...
  8. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    19 Nov '11 02:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    ....... but can you be more specific about how to force it?
    No. I've already given you the tactics - K & R to the seventh and with the correct placement of the Bishop, you can force the black King off the 8th, and effect the promotion. It is there but you have to work it through yourself. No pain - no gain.

skeeter
  9. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    19 Nov '11 02:55

I'm thinking to draw as black he just moves the black rook back and forth between the c8 square (where the white king can't capture it) and one of the kingside squares, since white can't cover them all even if he moves the bishop back to try to cover.

I've been placing the white rook on e7, f7, g7 and ...[text shortened]... es a difference.

If white could get this:

Then the Rook has only c8.
  10. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    19 Nov '11 02:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    If white could get this:

[fen]k1r5/P2R1K2/8/8/3B4/8/8/8 b - - 0 1[/fen]

Then the Rook has only c8.
    No. That's not the line - Kings on the wrong side of the Rook which results in a threepeat draw. Remember, you need to drive the King off the eighth - that's the key.

skeeter
  11. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    19 Nov '11 03:01
    No. That's not the line. Kings on the wrong side of the Rook. Remember, you need to drive the King off the eighth - that's the key.

skeeter
    If I drive the Rook off of the 8th, I can then drive the King off with Rd8+.
  12. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    19 Nov '11 03:01

I've been placing the white rook on e7, f7, g7 and ...[text shortened]... es a difference.

Another problem for white is that if the rook goes to the 7th too early black draws with the stalemate. Its harder to get the king up there than it looks.
  13. 19 Nov '11 03:02 / 1 edit
    lol SG in your diagram the rook can go almost anywhere b/c a capture would be a stalemate.
  14. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    19 Nov '11 03:02
    Originally posted by Exuma
    Another problem for white is that if the rook goes to the 7th too early black draws with the stalemate. Its harder to get the king up there than it looks.
    Ahh yes, I missed the desperado.
  15. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    19 Nov '11 03:04
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    If I drive the Rook off of the 8th, I can then drive the King off with Rd8+.
    You're not listening - you can't drive the Rook off the eighth with the King on that side of the Rook and the Bishop is not correct.

skeeter