1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Aug '08 15:254 edits
    Does anyone know if this is a Bishop gambit or just poor play by my opponent by choosing to take my bishop? It was over in 11 moves.

I don't know any of the openings.

Game 5256869
  2. Hollow earth
    Moves
    06 Aug '08 15:261 edit
    Think that was just a mistake by your opponent.Nice miniature though 🙂
  3. Big D
    Moves
    06 Aug '08 16:01
    Originally posted by uzless
    Does anyone know if this is a Bishop gambit or just poor play by my opponent by choosing to take my bishop? It was over in 11 moves.

Game 5256869
    Black played the opening very badly; perhaps he was mixing his systems? The moves Nc6 and 0-0 followed by h6 and h6xg5 do not comport with basic chess strategy in this position. Also, he failed to occupy the center at an appropriate time with d5. If Black wanted to challenge the Bishop on g5, he could have refrained from castling, then played h6 and g5 later, and staged an assault on White's kingside once he got his own King safely tucked away on the queenside.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    06 Aug '08 16:322 edits
    Originally posted by uzless

Game 5256869
    Its not a gambit and not really even a sacrifice but rather a perfectly legitimate combination that opens the Rook file for a decisive attack.

Black must probably immediately play 8. ... g6 giving back the Knight and having a ruined position.
  5. e4
    Moves
    06 Aug '08 16:361 edit
    Hi
    Black should not have touched the Bishop.
    7...e5 start making waves in the centre was far better.
    (Infact anything but taking the Bishop was far batter).

Nice game but if I may chip in.

You had a chance to get your Queen to h5 with tempo.
    OK it it does not matter here, but in another game it may.
    (it's one move longer but you have to see the idea).

This tempo gaining ploy is worth knowing and it crops up quite
    often, you will use it in future games.
  6. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    06 Aug '08 16:43
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi
    Black should not have touched the Bishop.
    7...e5 start making waves in the centre was far better.
    (Infact anything but taking the Bishop was far batter).

Nice game but if I may chip in.

You had a chance to get your Queen to h5 with tempo.
    OK it it does not matter here, but in another game it may.
    (it's one move longer but you have to see t ...[text shortened]... po gaining ploy is worth knowing and it crops up quite
    Nice one. I think that Reinfeld has something very similar in "The Complete Chess Player." Which I'm reading now. .... Sadly, I would not have seen it were it not for your post. ... I'm sure such tactics are in loads of other books too of course.

Thanks GP.
  7. Joined
    21 May '07
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 02:20
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    This tempo gaining ploy is worth knowing and it crops up quite
    Nice. I wouldn't have seen this in a game either. Almost every introductory and intermediate chess book I have read gives the point values of the pieces as one of the first strategic ideas. What this did with me was create an almost overwhelming materialism where the thought of giving up material doesn't have a chance. I am aware of this mindset I started out with and am working to reduce it. My point is that the heavy emphasis of introductory texts on the point value of pieces seems to hinder seeing ideas like the one you present.
  8. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 15:09
    Originally posted by Deece
    Nice. I wouldn't have seen this in a game either. Almost every introductory and intermediate chess book I have read gives the point values of the pieces as one of the first strategic ideas. What this did with me was create an almost overwhelming materialism where the thought of giving up material doesn't have a chance. I am aware of this mindset I started out ...[text shortened]... tory texts on the point value of pieces seems to hinder seeing ideas like the one you present.
    A book worth anything should also emphasize the value of sound sacrifices though.

I know what you mean though....I still deal with the block of not considering moves because I'm loath to lose material. I'm working on healing that buy playing sacs with a carefree attitude of come what may.
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 16:52
    Thanks to all for the comments.

Yes, I did see that Greenpawn but with 18 games on the go I was too lazy to wait for the extra move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree