1. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 15:25
    What if I played a game against someone and then put the game up on the boards for analysis?

Nothing, right? What if me and the same person had a second game in progress that was progressing exactly like the game that was up for analysis?

Is that a violation of any rule?

I almost did this but then I noticed the second game was going like the first and figured that might be considered trying to cheat or something. Even if it isn't cheating it seems wrong.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 15:28
    If a second game goes exactly as the first it is nt cheating to use things learned in the first to do in the second (but at this point things will become different, won't they?)
  3. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:01
    It's not out and out cheating but borderline - as long as players are as honest as you then it isn't a problem!
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:122 edits
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    It's not out and out cheating but borderline - as long as players are as honest as you then it isn't a problem!
    Huh?

If you are in a position in an existing game, and a finished game... and you start asking questions about the finished game, while the position still matches the game in progress.... you have definitely cheated.

Just because you have a finished game that matches a game in progress doesn't mean you have the green light to ask about the finished game... because it still matches a game in progress.

If you have a game in progress you can't ask about any of those positions from the game. It is cheating and a matching finished game is not an excuse to get help on your positions.

Edit The analysis should have been done BEFORE this line was followed again. Now that the game is in progress, there will be 2 games that can be analyzed once they are finished.

P-
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:17
    And this is written in the rules is it?
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:191 edit
    And this is written in the rules is it?
    Yes. This game is in progress, the position is a current game.

Phlabibit (RHP Game Mod)

I added another edit to my original.
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:201 edit
    No it's not, he would be asking about a finished game - which just happens to match a current game.

edit: all I'm saying is that the rules don't explicitly state this as cheating.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:23
    No it's not, he would be asking about a finished game - which just happens to match a current game.
    Gambit, out of curiousity - what's your repertoire?
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:241 edit
    Someone is going to notice you have a game in the same position (happens all the time) and call someone a cheat. Try and deny you are cheating since you did ask about the position.

It will be very hard to defend yourself since this position is in an existing game.

The analysis should have been done before the line was followed again.

Edit Let's say you have 100 games, why did you pick that game to analyze now? Because you are IN THAT POSITION in another game. You are trying to go around a rule to get advice in an existing game.

P-
  10. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:26
    I agree with what you're saying Phlab, just I can see some people getting away with it.

CMS - repertoire? Openings?
  11. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:36
    If you have to ask, it's probably cheating.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:36
    I agree with what you're saying Phlab, just I can see some people getting away with it.

Yeah, sorry, opening rep.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:38

Yes, but since someone is asking an honest question wanted to give an honest answer.

P-
  14. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:57
    What if I posted the game for review and then started another game with the person and they did the same opening sequence of moves?

That obviously couldn't be called cheating.

It doesn't matter really, I did something different in the second game and I am going to win. I just thought the question was interesting.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 17:27
    Originally posted by Gortron
    What if I posted the game for review and then started another game with the person and they did the same opening sequence of moves?

That obviously couldn't be called cheating.

It doesn't matter really, I did something different in the second game and I am going to win. I just thought the question was interesting.
    There would only be a problem if the game was still being analyzed as you got up to those moves. If someone posts move 21 today, and you make move 21 tomorrow... now there is a problem. If the analysis was completed, there is no problems following that line.

Also, chances are the guy you are playing is going to make a different move than your line from the thread... unless they had been reading the same thread and wanted to try a line.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree