Is this cheating?

Is this cheating?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
06 Apr 07

i think the line should be drawn as follows, using fritz to analze is ok after a game. but when you reach the same position if you have to check back with fritz to remember the new line something is fishy.

e

Moves
06 Apr 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
There would only be a problem if the game was still being analyzed as you got up to those moves. If someone posts move 21 today, and you make move 21 tomorrow... now there is a problem. If the analysis was completed, there is no problems following that line.

Also, chances are the guy you are playing is going to make a different move than your line from the thread... unless they had been reading the same thread and wanted to try a line.

P-
*havn't read rest of thread yet, just putting in my two cents worth*
Under this logic we cannot analyze any position that may possible be being played by any person on this site, for by some coincidence, they may play that line and thusly would be analyzing a game in progress.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
06 Apr 07
1 edit

Originally posted by endgamer
*havn't read rest of thread yet, just putting in my two cents worth*
Under this logic we cannot analyze any position that may possible be being played by any person on this site, for by some coincidence, they may play that line and thusly would be analyzing a game in progress.
So you think that if you are in a game, in a position... and have a finished game with the same line and position you should start a topic on that old game trying to get help in the new game?

Let me know.

P-

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
06 Apr 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Phlabibit
So you think that if you are in a game, in a position... and have a finished game with the same line and position you should start a topic on that old game trying to get help in the new game?

Let me know.

P-
No! That is cheating!

but if you had previously analysed that game, with that position, with Fritz and found a better move and now play it, that is not cheating. That is legitimate post game analysis.

Of course such a situation will only arise in a very few games that are only just out of the opening book.

Much better and definately not cheating in my opinion is if you are about to start a game with a highly regarded opponent and having decided which line you want to play you download his past games in those lines analyse them with Fritz (probably before making the first move) and find improvements (which in the game you eventually play) but you do this way before you get to that stage and before you are even certain that you will follow that line.

That is exactly what GMs will do OTB and it is legitimate preparation.

I have been able to use such preparation only once here in all the games played and that was against a well thought of player who I have now beaten 3 times with the same opening. I was not very happy with my first outing although I won it and analysed it finding an improvement (for him) and with Fritz a response for that. In due course we played again and he actually played the improvement Fritz had found so I replyed with my prepared response. Although I went on to win this was entirely due to a subsequent blunder (by him) rather than the 1 or 2 moves Fritz helped me with. I see nothing wrong with this.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
06 Apr 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
...That is exactly what GMs will do OTB and it is legitimate preparation.
good point.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
06 Apr 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
No! That is cheating!

but if you had [b]previously
analysed that game, with that position, with Fritz and found a better move and now play it, that is not cheating. That is legitimate post game analysis.

Of course such a situation will only arise in a very few games that are only just out of the opening book.

Much better and definately not c ...[text shortened]... under (by him) rather than the 1 or 2 moves Fritz helped me with. I see nothing wrong with this.[/b]
That is what this thread is about, if you read the first post. Taking a game in progress and deciding to analyze an existing game that matched it.

P-